The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2022, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
For me the question is, can a contemporary “Standard” or flagship model by a skilled maker, large or small, satisfy one’s desire for a professional- or near-professional-level instrument? I say, yes, absolutely. Look no further than Martin’s 18 or 28 style or the Gibson J-45. I’m sure Taylor players have their nominee, too.
Judging by the number I see being played by professional musicians on TV and in big touring shows, I’d say that Martin’s D-18 and 28, and Gibson’s J-45 are professional instruments. Also some Taylor models which are very popular amongst professional musicians too.

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-27-2022, 02:15 AM

A well used Collings, H&D, Bourgeois or Martin Authentic may compete, but for then again for 10k you could probably get a used Circa or Blazer and Henkes which are another notch up so…
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 11-27-2022, 02:30 AM

Larrivee
Furch
Touchstone
Maestro
Coontz but with a u instead of the oo

Probably many smaller luthiers with less exposure who prioritize tone over aesthetics

Last edited by JustGlyphs; 11-27-2022 at 02:31 AM. Reason: an unfortunate last name
Old 11-27-2022, 02:45 AM

Really depends on what you're looking for. I'm not ashamed to admit that I love Taylors for the ultra low action and delicate response. They still fall short compared to high end fingerstyle guitars that have that response plus extra volume when played really hard.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:11 AM

I think the best way to achieve this is to
1. Buy used
2. Spend a lot of time hunting - play dozens and dozens, and choose the best one. By playing the law of large numbers you'll get something that punches above its weight.
Eastman E10 00 SS adi/hog
Gibson CS AJ 'Gold' spruce/walnut
Huss & Dalton 12-fret 000 Sitka/IRW
Yamaha CSF3M travel/parlour/campfire
Lots of homemade electrics
Old 11-27-2022, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

This comes up regularly on AGF.

For me, the bottom line is that the better I'm getting at playing and singing the cheaper the guitar I actually need (which is different to want).

I like guitars with character, and you can find that at any price point.

I picked up an all laminate £98 with a case Encore in a guitar shop this week. Its geometry was perfect, and I could have set it up to my spec easily. It was dread size, had a good bass and shimmer on top.

It looked awful and cheap with a sprayed finish, but from a distance it looked OK. And I could have turned up with it or my D-18 to the next open mic and the audience wouldn't notice or care either way. It did not "punch above its weight" because there are hundreds of good cheap guitars on the market - the shops are full of them.

I could financially afford to replace my A&L Legacy with a Martin 000-18 Authentic. But I really would not gain anything by doing so. A new Martin simply would not cope with the living and playing conditions I have to put that A&L through. In fact, I took the A&L to a local event last night, rather than my D-18, because for that specific situation it was a superior instrument.

I think that once you have a good idea of what you are actually dealing with then instrument choice is relatively unrelated to price. If an expensive guitar floats your boat then buy it. I bought my D-18 because it sounds really sweet and gives me that typical dread timbre. But I don't feel that my cheap guitars are a compromise. They are fine working instruments with a job to do that something more expensive may not be able to achieve.

I'd far prefer to have the playing skills that could earn me $30,000 on a $1000 guitar than have the playing skills that could earn me $1000 a year on a $30,000 guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-27-2022, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that the sound of a $10,000 guitar won't please you three times more than the sound of a $3,000 guitar.

I think that the folks that buy NEW very high priced guitars regard them as more than guitars -- maybe objects of beauty and pride.

I personally love to pick up and play a beautiful guitar. Since I rarely play for others, it's a "me" thing, not a "what they will think of me" thing. In other words it's a very personal experience.
Ah, the ubiquitous punch above their weight guitar. I believe there are exceptional examples at every price range. Everything seems to fall in place, including the stars, and you get a wonderful instrument that "punches" in a delightful way (and, for the opposite reasons, there are dogs). But I've played quite a lot of guitars and I've never played the $1,000 guitar that sounds like a $10,000 guitar. I can believe there might be one out there, but not the hundreds reported here on the forum.

The law of diminishing returns exists, and you absolutely will not find a $10,000 guitar that pleases your ear three times more than a $3,000 guitar. Never. Do you think a $3,000 guitar will please your ear 1,500 times more than a $200 Yamaha??? I've played lots of $6,000 guitars that are truly lovely, and the increase in sound quality gets pretty small each step above that. But for some players each increase in sound quality/responsiveness is worth the proportionally large increase in price.

I own a $10,000 guitar and consider it a guitar, so your attempt to read my mind has, alas, failed. It's a popular sport here for some unknown reason. I played the same model (for over $3,000 less) in different woods and it was a great guitar by any standard. Most players would love to have one, including me. But when I played the Sinker Redwood/African Blackwood version it was simply amazing for my needs.

I have not played a $25,000 guitar, partially because I'm afraid I'd buy it. I don't know why anyone buys what they buy, I'm not a mind reader either. But I assume most people buy instruments that fit their budget, playing style and that please them. My Lowden has sustain for days, which would be a poor choice for some styles of music. Some situations would benefit from a brighter sounding guitar, and people spend what they spend for their own reasons.

I don't spend any time wondering why people buy what they buy. I enjoy my instruments and hope they enjoy theirs.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-27-2022, 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=musicman1951;7134660. Do you think a $3,000 guitar will please your ear 1,500 times more than a $200 Yamaha???.[/QUOTE]

Interesting math here. My calculator works quite differently.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Interesting math here. My calculator works quite differently.
Oops, no zeros needed.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-27-2022, 07:24 AM

I think if you asked this pre covid ( myself and others )would have alot of answers for you . So im in the dark as far as what was then compared to reality now . Plus my opinion might be different as others '

First id say used in great condition - maybe Goodall or Lowden.
Ive played some larrivee's that were as good ( not all )
used Martin OM-28v ( if you like the v neck -I do )

Stupid things like small builders who are not popular yet -I bought a used
Colby Horton 12 fret dread a few years back , that i would never sell -very under rated luthier ( this is a stellar guitar )

Lately id say buy from someone you trust or do it in person -
and play before you pay -which is tough to do ! and do you really need an exspensive guitar,
most pros ( IMO) would never blow the wad on a guitar - a nice Gibby for example ,
and they would advise you to practice more or get a better pickup you could adjust sound settings .

But I feel most exspensive instrument are more vanity !

Something that would really suck is if you bought a 10,000 dollar guitar that sounds like a 3,000 instrument ( which can happen )
but most players don't know the difference - IMO

Last edited by Tony Burns; 11-27-2022 at 07:35 AM. Reason: new info
Old 11-27-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

If one starts the comparison with a $10k guitar that really floats your boat then no, you'll not be able to find "that" tone in a guitar costing a third as much.

If you start with a special guitar bought used in the $3k to $4k range (probably for me, a Goodall) and hunt for a $10k + guitar you don't like as much, yes I'm sure you could find a few.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM

I've never played a $10,000 guitar. $4,000 is as high as I've ever got with a 000-42 I bought back in 2009. The late Steve Wildey used to stock quite a few at Glades Guitars back around the same time, and he invited me to play anything in his showroom, but I always left them well alone. It's just a thing with me - I wouldn't want to play an instrument that was way beyond what I would ever pay. That's not fear that I might want one after playing; it's more that anything beyond my price range has no interest for me, almost as if it were a beautiful but completely different instrument.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that the sound of a $10,000 guitar won't please you three times more than the sound of a $3,000 guitar.
That is not how it works, with guitars or anything else.

How it works ... I really like A but it costs significantly more than B. Is the price difference worth it to me?

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-27-2022, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Well first the entire notion of "punch above it's weight" or "compete on tonal grounds with 10k guitars " are totally subjective concepts. And are likely to elicit a broad scatter blast laundry list of personal anecdotal suggestion which will not really help inform the OP's question.

Also the concept that there is,,, or should be,, a 1 to 1 ratio of cost to "improvement " is a specious notion -- Because not only is it still a totally subjective idea--- BUT As someone correctly pointed out "It does not work that way" for the pricing of anything, including guitars..

Not to mention most people (even here on AGF) have never played a 10k + custom "puthier" ,,, built guitar
So most would be simply offering sheer speculation.

A much more relevant question ( still totally subjective of course, but more in line with goal for the OP) would be---

What $3K and under guitars offer great value in build and tone ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-27-2022, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I have $1500 guitars that I think compete with $3000 guitars. Does that count?
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion