The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 11-22-2022, 07:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Changing Strings

When and how to change acoustic strings-
Old 11-22-2022, 10:54 AM

Some string manufacturers say don't cut the strings until you have them up to proper pitch. Newtone comes to mind among others. https://newtonestrings.com/do-not-cu...v=7516fd43adaa
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 11-22-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Some string manufacturers say don't cut the strings until you have them up to proper pitch. Newtone comes to mind among others. https://newtonestrings.com/do-not-cu...v=7516fd43adaa
This is true for any round core wound string, regardless of the manufacturer or winding alloy.

I played guitar for almost 40 years before I joined AGF. I had never heard of "pre-cutting" strings until I joined here. I've got two slotheads among the couple dozen stringed instruments I have. I've yet to pre-cut any string. It's another solution-in-search-of-a-problem IMO.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:18 PM

Yes, I don’t cut any strings. Complicates the string changing operation slightly. I actually enjoy changing the strings, although changing the ones on my classical guitar not as enjoyable. I change my steel string acoustic about once a month.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 11-23-2022, 10:43 AM

I’ve tied all sorts of methods over the years. I’ve settled on the Taylor method in recent years, seems very simple. Involves snipping the strings at the next tuning peg which seems to make it easier to get the good amount of winds. th OP post does seem to cut a long way however on the low strings.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Hi all…

My observations over the past 60 years are that changing strings 'Methods' are like religion.

Most of we players have specific beliefs as to why our way of stringing is best, and we will drive up the posting-count in threads like this, convinced that once we explain it (sometimes with videos), everyone will conform to our way of thinking/stringing.

At age 74 I'm not trying to be efficient, but sensible when it comes to stringing guitars. I have 6 guitars to string regularly, and I use coated strings because they sound good, and last a long time at nearly new quality levels that fresh non-coated strings bring.

I don't have to worry about changing them too often to maintain a good sound.

Alas…I have friends who can't live with my approach. So they buy dozens of different types of new strings all the time…apparently seeking the holy grail of tone/sustain/attack/intonation/resonance/ that they think the world needs to appreciate their playing.

And my stringing methods break all kinds of RULES laid out by the YouTube authorities on the subject. I don't care, and you probably don't really either (or you may come to that approach eventually). Even if you don't, I want to play music when we gather, not talk nails, calluses, wood combos and string choices.

I'm guessing the string companies are happier with others than they are with me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2022, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

That's pretty much how I do it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-28-2022, 01:03 PM

These kind of basic 'how to' videos are what makes youtube so useful, whether you want to fix your plumbing or learn to use a compass, all great stuff. Some people have got far too cynical about this.
I used to waste a lot of time and effort 'locking off' each string by looping it under it self because I read somewhere strings would go out of tune if I didn't, then I came across a video showing Depew's method and that was a lot quicker and no they don't go out of tune because of it.
What he doesn't mention though is what he does with the old strings, I wind mine into a tin can in the recycling bin but I have no idea if they actually recycle the metal at the other end?
Old 11-28-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi all…

My observations over the past 60 years are that changing strings 'Methods' are like religion. .....

Amen !

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-29-2022, 08:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the recycling tip and happy to help with the video!
Old 11-29-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev112 View Post
I’ve tied all sorts of methods over the years. I’ve settled on the Taylor method in recent years, seems very simple. Involves snipping the strings at the next tuning peg which seems to make it easier to get the good amount of winds. th OP post does seem to cut a long way however on the low strings.
Hi Sev…
Many alternate tuning players follow David Wilcox - a player from Minnesota who specializes in going through a dozen retunings in a single concert on the same guitar.

He discovered that if we wrap the wound strings all the way to the bottom of the shaft it nearly eliminates strings breaking from the stress of constant re-tuning. So cutting strings to only the next tuning machine won’t get one proper lengths.

Round core - low tension strings - MUST NOT be cut till they are strung and tuned to pitch (or they will unravel the windings).

The key is to find a method of re-stringing you can accomplish in a reasonable amount of time with a minimum of difficulty. After playing (and stringing) these things for 60 years…I have a method which is quick, efficient, and I can string a guitar sitting in a chair without a workbench or neck support with only a string-peg-winder and wire nippers.

I’m not sure there is a one-size-fits-all stringing method.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-29-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you own a Fender electric with the hollow/slotted tuning post, and you want to use them as intended, you're SOL if you use round core strings.

Other than that......Jimmy D'Aquisto showed me and a friend, Michael Savitt, how to do the string bent & wrapped over itself that locks the string from slipping, even if you barely have 1 wrap.

I've done it that way since 1969.

HE
Old 11-29-2022, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I align the hole with the neck, pull string through.

Wrap end around post under string and loop.

Wrap only ends up being about 3/4 around the post.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:49 PM

Years ago I thought it was cool to not cut the strings off at all. I was playing at a wedding and a mentally challenged young man had to tell me that I needed to cut those strings as I might poke someone's eyes out!
Old 12-04-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
I wind mine into a tin can in the recycling bin but I have no idea if they actually recycle the metal at the other end?
Strings are definitely recyclable, but be careful if you have a single-stream facility in your area. If you don’t have to separate cardboard, plastic, etc., they probably have a big sorting machine that can get jammed by metal wires. Though putting them in a coffee can may get around that problem, I have no idea about that.

A lot of guitar stores will accept them and send back to D’Addario as part of their string recycling program too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace