The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-21-2022, 08:07 PM

Default Seeking constructive criticism

I feel like I'm taking a big risk posting this. I have temporarily uploaded a bit of a practice song to YouTube. So you know, it's an easy version of the intro and first verse of Rod Stewart's Maggie May.
I've been teaching myself to play for a little over a year.
I would like to get a few of your opinions and helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/CXoHIzLynbs
Old 11-21-2022, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Well done. Only question would be do you want strum on open strings between chord changes or not.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-21-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Well done. Only question would be do you want strum on open strings between chord changes or not.
Yes I do want to strum the open strings between chord changes. For some reason I don't seem to get that all the time.
Should I not be doing that?

Last edited by Chas007; 11-21-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
I feel like I'm taking a big risk posting this. I have temporarily uploaded a bit of a practice song to YouTube. So you know, it's an easy version of the intro and first verse of Rod Stewart's Maggie May.
I would like to get a few of your opinions and helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Chas,
You're doing very, very well for only playing the short time you've been at it.

I think that you have a very good ear, and a good sense of timing.

If I were to suggest anything particular to this song you're practicing it would be this: Do NOT feel obligated to strum through all the strings on any given chord. Sometimes it's better to 'aim' for inner groupings of strings to find the 'meat' of the chord.

The other thing would be using consecutive down strokes, sometimes, instead of using up & down strumming constantly.

Being able to play metronomically is a good thing, but a little boring after a while.

Being able to 'feel' the metronome (the groove) in your body/hands/feet, but playing with it, around it and against it?

Ahhh.........THAT.....is where the music/magic is at!

Keep up the good work!

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-22-2022, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Hi, Rick. You'll get there. My tuppenceworth from singing that song (I was around when it came out), playing mando, and guitar (not always at the same time) is that when you're comfortable with your chord changes try being a bit 'looser' and 'punchier'. I think I mean try and follow the rhythm of the song, which is clearly defined. Probably over emphasise it a bit, then row back a bit, by hitting the D note then strum the chord a few times, and do a couple of quick upstrokes between chord changes, and move to your C and G chords doing the same thing. Hard to explain, and I might be overstating it a bit, but hopefully you'll know what I mean if you listen to the song again. If you can sing it, it's a great one to belt out.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 11-22-2022, 04:39 AM

Here's my $0.02

What's good is that the timing is excellent, and the chords cleanly held and played.

Where there is room for improvement is that it sounds too mechanical atm, a very even dynamic.

Strumming open strings between the changes is quite normal (on the "and of 4"), but it seems to stand out in your playing, and I think's because you're not varying the dynamic enough elsewhere.
I agree with Howard, you're playing in a very accurate, complete and "polite" way, as if trying to pass a strumming exam! .
You've passed, by the way - - but you're not really feeling it yet - or at least it doesn't sound like you are. You need to relax more, swing that arm a little more, hit beats 2 and 4 a little stronger.

That's the essential difference between amateur and pro (or more experienced amateur). You need to play like you mean it.

IOW, you have successfully passed stage one. Got it all correct and in time! But playing a song the whole way through with no mistakes - learning and memorizing - is just the end of the first stage. Like an actor who has learned all his lines correctly, but (so far) is doing little more than just reciting them. The next stage (the last stage!) is to start performing it - making it your own, delivering a convincing rendition.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:53 AM

Hello Chas
From my perspective the big difference I hear between what you're playing and Rod's original is the lack of rhythm in your playing.
Music played rhythmically allways incorporates stresses on one or two beats and not others, in 4/4 time the stresses or often on the 1st and 3rd beat, but not always.

You seem to be playing mostly with even stresses, if I can detect anything maybe sometimes there's a slight stress on the 1st beat of the bar.

Listen to this live recording and tap your foot along, observe what your foot does as you 'dance' to identify not only the first beat of the bar but where the stress is placed because that is what is driving the rythmn in this song.

The big problem I can hear in the music of people who learn primarily from some kind of notation is that though all the notes and chords are 'right' unless they are natural dancers they don't recognise that there are things going on in music that are not referred to in the notation.
People who learn primarily by ear don't have this problem because they just pick it up by copying the stresses where they hear them.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Being able to play metronomically is a good thing, but a little boring after a while.

Being able to 'feel' the metronome (the groove) in your body/hands/feet, but playing with it, around it and against it?

Ahhh.........THAT.....is where the music/magic is at
I feel you guys have nailed it. This is amazing!
I'm not really comfortable with all the chord changes. I'm worried about it, like taking a test. I'm not really comfortable using a pick either, not good at the emphasis strumming thing. I usually play with my thumb (which sounds stiff and robotic) to keep the noise down so I don't get on my wife's nerves with my noise.

I suffer from a lot of anxiety, and to make things worse I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I'm the most comfortable or at least as comfortable as I get when playing and singing for my dog when no one else is around.

What you guys are saying is why it doesn't sound like music to me, just a combination of chords that I strum.
Now how do I teach myself to relax and just go with, when I'm rarely if ever relaxed in my life?

This may sound crazy, but posting me playing, felt like I was putting a video of me being naked out for everyone to see and trust me no one wants to see that.

Last edited by Chas007; 11-22-2022 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 11-22-2022, 09:16 AM

Put your guitar down for a while and just dance.
If necessary have a drink, take some drugs (don"t over do this!)
Just dance
Old 11-22-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I feel you guys have nailed it. This is amazing!
I'm not really comfortable with all the chord changes. I'm worried about it, like taking a test. I'm not really comfortable using a pick either, not good at the emphasis strumming thing. I usually play with my thumb (which sounds stiff and robotic) to keep the noise down so I don't get on my wife's nerves with my noise.

I suffer from a lot of anxiety, and to make things worse I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I'm the most comfortable or at least as comfortable as I get when playing and singing for my dog when no one else is around.

What you guys are saying is why it doesn't sound like music to me, just a combination of chords that I strum.
Now how do I teach myself to relax and just go with, when I'm rarely if ever relaxed in my life?

This may sound crazy, but posting me playing, felt like I was putting a video of me being naked out for everyone to see and trust me no one wants to see that.

I agree with others, for the time spent, you are doing VERY good. your chord changes are clean and well moved thru,, BIG steps toward the end goal there.

Thinking about getting on someone's nerves is going to be an obstacle for you, if you have to find a place where you are no longer worried about that aspect then make that where you practice.

Anxiety and playing an instrument kind of oppose each other, you have to try to relax some of that I understand,, it is what it is. but, that's definitely something to try and work thru

No one cares that you make mistakes, we all make em, no matter how accomplished we are as players,, we all fall down... it's all part of the process.

For making it Musical... have you tried playing along with some of the songs that you like playing? do you have any friends that play, that can coach you along?

Playing with others will help you advance a bit quciker.

So, yea You probably have tried some of this?? but I didn't read the whole set of the thread or see where you mention that.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-22-2022, 10:02 AM

The intro will take time, keep at it.

What I noticed in the verse was that your time was good, but metronomic. The tune has a bounce to it that you can't achieve by playing "straight" (though you gotta get it straight before you can play with it-- but it sounds like you got it "straight")

Try listening to the record and tap out the rhythm on your knees or a table along with it. You'll feel that "swing" to it. Then you can try on the guitar-- that second down strum will be more powerful. The down up strums,, the downs will be a little louder and the ups a little quicker..

And that too will take time, but the journey is the destination.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-22-2022, 11:03 AM

Hi, Chas (not Rick - apologies for my earlier confuddlement) Lots of good stuff in replies about listening, dancing and singing/playing along with song.

Going by your last response, it would help you I think to seriously seek out other guitar playing social groups and join in. I'm lucky in that there are quite a few where I live and they helped me take the leap from shy home guitar picker, to shameless public show-off. Joined a group and started going to open mics. The group folded because of creative differences but I'm still standing up warbling away at open mics. The point is, if you can, get yourself out and about - there are always shy guitar players about looking to play with others.

And finally, I don't aim for 'perfection' as that way lies the road to perdition (two movie references for the price of one ). 'Good enough' is my motto. That standard (i.e get the main bits right - leave out any complicated bits that gets in the way of my performance) obviously gets a bit higher the more I perform a song and start adding bits etc.

Anyway, nuff said. Best of luck.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 11-22-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Just keep doing it, until you know it so well you don't have to think about it. It's a language, and it takes a while to "speak" it without having to think about the grammar and pronunciation.
Quote:
Well, not on this forum, but I'm sure you could find other places online where that would be quite welcome . (But then they'd probably think it weird you were also playing the guitar...)
Old 11-22-2022, 11:31 AM

I agree that playing with others would help. I believe even being around others that play and getting to talk to them would help, that's why I love and try to support this forum. The people on here have helped me a lot. From my choices when purchasing guitars, to amps and recording, playing and the motivation to keep at it.

Unfortunately I live in a relatively small town in middle America, don't have but a few friends, none of whom play a musical instrument and I'm retired and don't get out. I'm pretty much a loner and I'm only pursuing the guitar because I love music, I've always wanted to learn to play and now that I'm retired I have the time.

So, I'm on my own, accept for you guys. I will keep at it and try to relax. Maybe if I pretend I know what I'm doing that will help.

Thank you, to everyone that posted. You guys were kind, helpful and dead on with your advice. Except for the drinking and drug part. Lol Thanks for that advice also, but I already did that in my younger years and I couldn't play then either. Lol 🙂
Old 11-22-2022, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I'm with the others who have noted that you're doing great with your chord changes and timing as well. Another factor is the dreaded 'red light syndrome' as many of us are painfully aware that we're recording once we push the red button. This can take the flexibility out of much of our playing as well. Keep at it, you're in good shape.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write