The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-19-2022, 07:49 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem SL

My guitar came with an LR Baggs anthem SL pickup. I know nothing about them, and I didn’t ask enough questions when I bought the guitar, honestly. I’m starting to look into how to amplify it. Is there anything I need to be aware of when it comes to this system? Can I just get an amp for it? A DI to a PA, or just a PA, since the system is just a mic? If an amp, I’m looking for a bedroom amp, less than $200. Any suggestions? I found the fender acoustasonic 15

Oops wrong forum. Mods can you move this to amp forum

Last edited by JPCary; 11-19-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

The Anthem SL is a fine pickup... it can feed signal to either an amp or a PA. Technically, it has it's own preamp section, so should not need a DI unless the distance between the guitar and the main mixer is greater than 20' or so...

You will want to change the battery to a fresh one when you start amplifying it. Realize that the battery only drains when you have the cord plugged in to the guitar, so it's best to not leave it plugged in if you're not using it!

There are adjustments to the sound that can be made, however, if the guitar already had the pickup in it, it is probably set to a good spot. There is a small set screw on the face of the small volume wheel module that is used to "blend" the sound between the True Mic (which is attached to the bridgeplate inside the guitar) and the Element (under the saddle). As I recall, turning that screw clockwise brings in more of the microphone to the blended overall sound.

When I had the Anthem SL in two of my guitars, I always found the folks at Baggs to be both readily accessible and very helpful in answering all my questions. So, call 'em up if you have anything you want to know about the pickup, or using it!

I would suggest that, if you have an amp that will be the main way of amplifying the guitar, that you set the blend to what sounds best on THAT amp. Kind of a pain to mess with it, but, once you have it where you want it, it's not moving unless you move it...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-20-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
The Anthem SL is a fine pickup... it can feed signal to either an amp or a PA. Technically, it has it's own preamp section, so should not need a DI unless the distance between the guitar and the main mixer is greater than 20' or so...

You will want to change the battery to a fresh one when you start amplifying it. Realize that the battery only drains when you have the cord plugged in to the guitar, so it's best to not leave it plugged in if you're not using it!

There are adjustments to the sound that can be made, however, if the guitar already had the pickup in it, it is probably set to a good spot. There is a small set screw on the face of the small volume wheel module that is used to "blend" the sound between the True Mic (which is attached to the bridgeplate inside the guitar) and the Element (under the saddle). As I recall, turning that screw clockwise brings in more of the microphone to the blended overall sound.

When I had the Anthem SL in two of my guitars, I always found the folks at Baggs to be both readily accessible and very helpful in answering all my questions. So, call 'em up if you have anything you want to know about the pickup, or using it!

I would suggest that, if you have an amp that will be the main way of amplifying the guitar, that you set the blend to what sounds best on THAT amp. Kind of a pain to mess with it, but, once you have it where you want it, it's not moving unless you move it...
thank you this was very helpful. I am clueless when it comes to the Baggs system and amps
Old 11-21-2022, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

You are very welcome! Glad to help...

As far as amplifiers go? Well, at $200 or less, there aren't a whole lot to choose from. Best bet would be to find a used Fishman Loudbox Mini that is in great condition - judge it by cosmetic appearance and whether it makes ANY "funny" noises, at all, when plugged in and turned on. Even if you don't know everything the amp can do, you can still ascertain whether or not all the knobs are doing something without making a bunch of noise.

You may be able to find a good Mini for $200, used... if not, consider the Acoustic acoustic amp; if you are only amplifying the guitar and don't need separate controls for a microphone, it is a great little amp for the money; I have a friend who bought one, new, for ~$140 a few years ago.

I'm sure that the little Fender would serve you just fine, although I'm a bit suspect of the durability of it in the long run... there will doubtless be other suggestions that will also warrant looking into.

Have fun with it! It can be a blast to plug your guitar in, from time to time... let us know what you find!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-21-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
You are very welcome! Glad to help...

As far as amplifiers go? Well, at $200 or less, there aren't a whole lot to choose from. Best bet would be to find a used Fishman Loudbox Mini that is in great condition - judge it by cosmetic appearance and whether it makes ANY "funny" noises, at all, when plugged in and turned on. Even if you don't know everything the amp can do, you can still ascertain whether or not all the knobs are doing something without making a bunch of noise.

You may be able to find a good Mini for $200, used... if not, consider the Acoustic acoustic amp; if you are only amplifying the guitar and don't need separate controls for a microphone, it is a great little amp for the money; I have a friend who bought one, new, for ~$140 a few years ago.

I'm sure that the little Fender would serve you just fine, although I'm a bit suspect of the durability of it in the long run... there will doubtless be other suggestions that will also warrant looking into.

Have fun with it! It can be a blast to plug your guitar in, from time to time... let us know what you find!
I’m thinking what’s the point of having a Baggs pickup and not using it, so I listened to some demos on YouTube and picked up a Blackstar fly3 acoustic. I will try it for 30 days and see if it’s any good. I looked at the Fishman loudbox, and it sounded awesome, gets great reviews, universally loved, but it’s too much amp for me. My wife doesn’t mind the sound now. She even likes it, and I’m not trying to change her mind, and I would like to sneak an electric under her radar one day

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars