The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-19-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowhornShoehorn View Post
If it sounds good to you, the intonation is probably fine. There are three relatively simple ways to check intonation and fancy tools not required! 1) your ears; 2) measure from the distance from the front of the nut to the center of the 12th fret, which should also be pretty close to the same distance from the center of the 12th fret to the front of the saddle at the treble E. The E bass string will be about an 1/8" longer, and the saddle placement slanted to compensate for the physical charactoristics of the progressively thicker strings; 3) tune it to pitch, then check what note the tuner says when you depress the 12th fret - it's an octave higher but the same note. Some builders get intonation dead on but on most factory guitars it is an approximation. Though we can obsess over perfection, if it passes the ear test, that's what matters.

Fred

Got it thank you Fred [emoji4] I’m
Going to gather wits prep my work space and dive in it will be during the Christmas break when I’ll have the house to myself . Lol [emoji23]

Thanks for all the input everyone . [emoji4][emoji847]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair