The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-04-2022, 08:52 AM

I bought mine used, but in mint condition in 2010. Not really sure how old it is, but these guitars do not age! It looks and sounds as fantastic as the day I bought it. It really is a classic beauty with the single cutaway, shark inlay, and beautiful abalone around the soundhole.

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Beard Copper Mountain Resonator
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 11-05-2022, 07:34 AM

Mine is showing some wear. The frets are dished and I've actually worn through the finish where my right arm rests on the top to where I can feel the weave of the carbon cloth. Also I got rid of the Fishman pre-amp which sounded awful (very harsh attack and quacky piezo sound) and put in a Seymour Duncan sound hole pick-up. Left a big hole in the side of the guitar which works a little too well as a sound port. Still a great guitar, but I haven't played it since I got the OM.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
Mine is showing some wear. The frets are dished and I've actually worn through the finish where my right arm rests on the top to where I can feel the weave of the carbon cloth. Also I got rid of the Fishman pre-amp which sounded awful (very harsh attack and quacky piezo sound) and put in a Seymour Duncan sound hole pick-up. Left a big hole in the side of the guitar which works a little too well as a sound port. Still a great guitar, but I haven't played it since I got the OM.
Interesting, mine has the Baggs Element with volume, notch filter, base and treble. I can dial in a great sound going directly into the sound board. Did they use Fishman before they switched to the Element?

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Beard Copper Mountain Resonator
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 11-05-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood1 View Post
Interesting, mine has the Baggs Element with volume, notch filter, base and treble. I can dial in a great sound going directly into the sound board. Did they use Fishman before they switched to the Element?
My first RainSong was a 2007 model and it had the LR Baggs Element Active system, and so did my RainSongs from a year or so later. In about 2010 or so, RainSong started using the Fishman Matrix Prefix Plus T system. I think RainSong also offered one or the other systems as an option for several years and you got what the dealer happened to order when you bought an in-stock RainSong guitar. My 2022 RainSong BI-DR1000N2 came with the LR Baggs Stage Pro Element. Currently, with its new direct-order business model, RainSong offers the following options:

LR Baggs Stagepro Anthem

LR Baggs Stagepro Element

K&K Sound Pure Mini

I really liked the Fishman Matrix Prefix Plus T system and I think the company should also offer that as an option.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-05-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood1 View Post
I think I bought mine around 2000 or 2001. And yes, it had the Fishman pre-amp. I think there must have been something wrong with the installation or the Fishman pre-amp its self because it sounded truly awful and I could never get to sound acceptable no matter what I tried. I bought a CA GX which I've used for many years as my stage guitar because I couldn't stand the plugged-in sound of the Rainsong. I have the Baggs in my CA and in my new Rainsong OM and both sound just fine.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

The 2012 RainSong Short SG-FLE I owned had the Fishman Matrix Prefix plus T installed. I thought it had a good plugged in sound. Probably my 3rd favorite OEM pickup, behind the B-Band in my X7 (no longer being made), and the ES2 Taylor.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:33 PM

Default Rainsong Classic???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
My first RainSong was a 2007 model and it had the LR Baggs Element Active system, and so did my RainSongs from a year or so later. In about 2010 or so, RainSong started using the Fishman Matrix Prefix Plus T system. I think RainSong also offered one or the other systems as an option for several years and you got what the dealer happened to order when you bought an in-stock RainSong guitar. My 2022 RainSong BI-DR1000N2 came with the LR Baggs Stage Pro Element. Currently, with its new direct-order business model, RainSong offers the following options:

LR Baggs Stagepro Anthem

LR Baggs Stagepro Element

K&K Sound Pure Mini

I really liked the Fishman Matrix Prefix Plus T system and I think the company should also offer that as an option.

Surprised to see them embrace the K&K. Although I personally had success with it in a Rainsong. I may be purchasing a used Rainsong in the coming days.

Last edited by martingitdave; 11-05-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I ordered one of the classic WS1000 models the day after I saw the forum post. A brand new full size carbon fiber, (or graphite), a/e, made in the USA, with hard case for two grand? I had to do it. Back in the day, I remember buying a new emerald X20 and before that, a new CA Legacy for under $2k... Those days are long gone so this was nice to see. I just hope the wait time doesn't get crazy.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Mine just shipped!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Mine has shipped too and I will be unboxing it and reviewing it on my YouTube channel very soon.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I haven't received tracking info or anything since I placed my order. Hopefully it won't take too long. I owned the H-WS1000 but not the full carbon fiber WS1000 so I'm really interested in getting my hands on this guitar! I'll be recording an audio demo for my YouTube channel.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
I haven't received tracking info or anything since I placed my order. Hopefully it won't take too long. I owned the H-WS1000 but not the full carbon fiber WS1000 so I'm really interested in getting my hands on this guitar! I'll be recording an audio demo for my YouTube channel.
I also owned the hybrid version. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow. This will be interesting!
Old 11-22-2022, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Mine is here and is blowing me away. I’m delighted!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-22-2022, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Me too, what a fantastic guitar!
Old 11-30-2022, 10:19 PM

Great price. I just tried to order one, but evidently they don't ship to Hawaii, order gets rejected. bummer.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD

Last edited by kyee; 11-30-2022 at 10:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber