The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-08-2022, 12:17 PM

Default Journey Tuner Size?

anyone know if Journey uses 10mm pegholes for tuners? i'd like to replace the stock tuners on my RT660 with locking ones and the Journey's site search isn't the best.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:26 PM

The information relates to an OF660, and I suspect might be the same for the RT.

Check out https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=503810&page=3 around post 45.

A quote from AC on the topic "I don't know if these were Gotoh "minis" or just normal Gotoh--but they fit. Here is exactly what I got from the invoice:
SGL510Z H.A.P.M - L5 - B - L3+R3
As I said earlier, I would not opt for the adjustable post height, which is represented by one of the letters/numbers in the Gotoh code."
Old 12-08-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPadTV View Post
anyone know if Journey uses 10mm pegholes for tuners? i'd like to replace the stock tuners on my RT660 with locking ones and the Journey's site search isn't the best.
I’m not sure if you have your heart set on Gotohs, but Journey sells replacement locking tuners:

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...ft-x-3-tal001/

(You need a right set too for 3+3)

I put these on my OF660 (old enough it came with non locking) and they have been good.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff350 View Post
I’m not sure if you have your heart set on Gotohs, but Journey sells replacement locking tuners.:
I wasn't aware Journey had locking tuners and I am considering them for my OF660. My retainer end broke off a little while back and using locking tuners along with a capo when apart for travel would actually allow me to remove the retainer.

Thank you for the information!
Old 12-09-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I wasn't aware Journey had locking tuners and I am considering them for my OF660. My retainer end broke off a little while back and using locking tuners along with a capo when apart for travel would actually allow me to remove the retainer.

Thank you for the information!
Locking tuners on the OF660 are sooo helpful. Like you said when you take the neck off you don’t have to worry about the strings coming unwound off the post.

PS they sell replacement retainers too. I replaced mine at the same time as I did the new tuners:

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...tainer-gsr001/
Old 12-10-2022, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I don't have an RT660, but have replaced the tuners on my OF660. The holes are indeed 10 mm, and Gotoh 510 Minis are a drop in replacement. At the recommendation of @steelvibe, I bought the non-locking tuners. Turns out the locking ones really aren't necessary. I've had no problems with the strings unraveling when I travel with my OF660.

One reason I went with the non-locking tuners is that the OF660 is neck heavy. The Gotoh's area bit lighter. I also replaced the metal buttons on the Gotohs with a set of snakewood buttons from Buscarino Guitars, which are lighter and I think better looking than the metal ones. All together it ended up taking 40 gm off the mass of the headstock. It doesn't eliminate the neck dive, but its noticeably better. Here they are:

tuners.jpg
Old 12-11-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Turns out the locking ones really aren't necessary.
they are when you're lazy (half-kidding)
Old 12-12-2022, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPadTV View Post
they are when you're lazy (half-kidding)
I don't take any particular care when packing up my Journey. Just remove the neck, stuff it into its pocket and zip it up. Almost 4 months now with the non-locking tuners and it hasn't been an issue. Maybe it depends on the strings?
Old 12-12-2022, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

To me the main advantage with locking tuners is that the guitar seems to stay in tune almost immediately, while with the non-locking ones I had to play the guitar longer after assembly to get a stable tuning (probably because the strings get a bit loose around the shafts).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber