The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-06-2022, 08:47 AM

Default What tele should I be looking for with a budget of $900?

Thinking of getting an electric next year, more specifically a telecaster. With a budget of $900 what models should I be looking for?

Btw, I consider looking at used ones (mint/excelent) to get more bang for the buck.

Will have around $300 for the amp, so I'm considering a yamaha THR, anything I should also consider?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2022, 09:41 AM

In that range, I'd consider a Player Series (made in Mexico). Fit and finish are awesome and the pickups and electronics are the same grade that goes into American Fenders.

$300 for an amp is where the tone sacrifice is paid. To me, tele through a Princeton Reverb is a match made in heaven.

Good look in your endeavor.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 12-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

THe best telecaster style guitar on the the market for the money are Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider models - they are giant leap in quality from what Fender puts out for the money. Used should hit your budget, or slightly more for new.

If needs to be a Fender, the Vintera series is very good all around and well within you budget for the most part. They make pretty great 50s and 60s versions, as well as "modified" versions that have more switching and a few modern touches while still looking old-school. Prymaxe usually has some on sale that are new, tho listed as Demos, and 20-30% cheaper than most places will have them.

For your amp money, the only thing worth getting it my opinion is the Spark Amp from Positive Grid - it can do it all pretty convincingly and has a zillion other awesome features that no one else can really touch. If you can't go up into a real-deal tube amp, thats the way to go. Also, if you do go up to a real deal amp, then you're gonna wanna get all sorts of pedals and stuff. Start with a Spark and you get amps, pedals, tuner, play-along tracks, tons of fun.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:57 AM

Get a new Squier. They're on sale.
I have 2 and my MIM.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:01 AM

Given that your budget pretty much nails the price of the Player Telecaster (that's the standard Made-in-Mexico model) I'd recommend going to any Fender dealers within driving distance and spending a few pleasant hours playing any of them you find in stock. That's what I did few months ago and one of them really stood out as feeling and sounding the best to me so I bought it.

I like the pickups they put in that model nowadays (no ceramic magnets) and the medium radius (9.5") and medium-jumbo frets suit my hands. The Player Telecaster has what I'd consider a more normal or average string spacing and nut width, unlike some of the Squiers and so forth that are a bit narrower.

Not sure if you specifically need a tiny, portable amp but I'd recommend going with something with at least an 8" and better yet 10" speaker. Full sized electric guitar amps always sound much better to me than ones with 4" or 6" speakers. Fuller sound.

I'd personally get a Katana 50 mkII to stay under your amp budget or a Katana 100 mkII if you're willing to go slightly over. Or there are tons of used Katana 100's out there (be sure to get a mkII) that are well within your budget. Not that my recommendation matters, inevitably electric guitar beginners who ask that question on this forum get talked into an amp with tubes in it whether I think it's a good idea or not
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-06-2022, 11:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That will buy a NICE used American Standard.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-07-2022, 09:32 AM

I liked the way the Squier CV Tele sounded more than the Player. Player and CV neck are both on the smaller end of the scale to me but I don’t mind. The American Professional model is noticeably more generous. Good deals on Squiers right now. Negative is they can be heavy compared to Players.

I agree get the Katana 50 over the THR unless you don’t have space. If you don’t have space make space . Its worth it. THR is great desktop amp. But thats what it is. A great desktop amp. I’d prefer the Fender Mustang LT25 $129 (Sweetwater) over the THR. When an amp pushes more air its just different.
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols

Last edited by Ian111; 12-07-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:57 AM

Hard to argue with the player series recommendations.

The Classic Vibe Series from Squier are pretty good, especially for the money. I have the CV 50's and the CV 60s thinline and I like them both, but my Nashville Player Tele feels noticeably better, and includes locking tuners... Only $900 when I got it new.

If you have the opportunity, look for a G&L Asat classic to try out. Fairly inexpensive on the used market (I picked one up for $300), and comparable to a classic vibe new (About $550 for the tribute classic). They also have a version with a humbucker in the neck (Bluesboy) and some p90-ish pickups (ASAT Special) if you want to go a non-traditional route. May or may not be your thing, but they are good guitars, and worth trying out if you have the opportunity.

If not, the Player Tele's are a safe bet.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-07-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Given that your budget pretty much nails the price of the Player Telecaster (that's the standard Made-in-Mexico model) I'd recommend going to any Fender dealers within driving distance and spending a few pleasant hours playing any of them you find in stock. That's what I did few months ago and one of them really stood out as feeling and sounding the best to me so I bought it.
That's great advice. When I went in and said I wanted to try Teles the salesguy set up a whole range of instruments in front of me. It was surprising how different each one felt, especially with weight and necks. I ended up with an American Performer with a humbucker. I like the versatility a lot. Used ones might be in your price range.

A guy I play with picked up a Nashville Tele around the same time and that's another choice to consider.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:24 PM

Definitely go with the Katana over the THR…I have both, and the THR doesn’t get used anymore. I’d also look at a fender modeling amp.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:58 PM

You can get a players plus tele at guitar center for a little more if they run the 15% coupon again. Got one of the Nashville addition models for that price
Old 12-08-2022, 02:38 PM

What is the primary reason you're getting an amp? If you need it to record, practice, and perform live, I'd second the Katana recommendation.
For bedroom practice and/or recording, then stick with the THR. I actually use my THR live, but I line it into a large PA.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:06 AM

A used late 1980's American made Tele.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
That will buy a NICE used American Standard.

Bob
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
In that range, I'd consider a Player Series (made in Mexico). Fit and finish are awesome and the pickups and electronics are the same grade that goes into American Fenders.

$300 for an amp is where the tone sacrifice is paid. To me, tele through a Princeton Reverb is a match made in heaven.

Good look in your endeavor.
Yup - agree on this…..I would try to increase your budget slightly and get a used MIM and put more dinero into the amp….I play my Teles through my original ‘69 Princeton and their aint’ nothing better sounding….

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars