The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-06-2022, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old build thread. Upon reviewing this again today, I just thought the woods were so special, this thread deserved another viewing. I seem to be a sucker for Adi/Flamed Mahogany, and this Mahogany is one on the nicer sets I have seen; the depth to the curl is amazing. I’m glad this top didn’t get a burst in the end, but that’s just my preference.
Yeah, it’s special for sure, and I’m really glad you bumped the thread. John is building really impressive guitars right (and has been for years), and his mahogany guitars are no exception. This one is dry. It’s loud. It’s sophisticated. Clear. Oh, and loud. And I agree the wood is beautiful to behold, especially in the context of John’s incredible woodworking skill. It’s a very precisely made instrument and a thrill to inspect the details.

I’m with you on the burst. Although I do like them in the right context, when the top wood is this nice, I prefer the simplicity of a plain top. John is a bit obsessive about Adi spruce quality, and I do think the sets he’s used on my guitars are top tier visually (and tonally).

I believe one of our own forum members just snagged a used OM with nearly identical appointments from TME. I expect we’ll be seeing a NGD soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop