The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-04-2022, 04:36 PM

Default What would be some tips for someone wanting to learn fret leveling?

I want to learn how to do my own fret level, so already bought all tools (16" beam, slotted straight edge, crowning file..)

Will first work on a cheap guitar, of course, but I'd like to know what tips and insights you've learned from experience would be helpful for me?

Thank you
Old 12-04-2022, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I am not experienced, but I pulled and replaced a whole neck of frets on a cheap electric, finished the ends and leveled them with only the tools available at home, none made for the task. The guitar plays great now.

My advice is not to be afraid, just be very slow and fastidious. You have good tools, so care and patience makes it really not that hard.

If I were to do it again, I would buy the tools. Definitely.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:44 PM

16in beam is good for refretting and replaning the fretboard but for leveling it's not good. You need something like a 5in flat file for that.

It really takes years of experience to get it good. Not rocket science but still a lot of nuance. It's a bit more complicated then just getting all the frets at the same level.

But since you asked for tips, the shorter file is my tip for you. I'm sure many more will come. The reason why is because older guitars develop local oddities along the fretboard and it's difficult in many cases to adjust the neck dead flat to use the beam and it's really not necessary.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues88 View Post
I want to learn how to do my own fret level, so already bought all tools (16" beam, slotted straight edge, crowning file..)

Will first work on a cheap guitar, of course, but I'd like to know what tips and insights you've learned from experience would be helpful for me?

Thank you
Review Frank Ford's step by step re-fretting process at his most excellent FRETS.com website that everyone should pour over.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:38 AM

Theblues - I would add, just jump in and do it. There is so much good information out there and so many good tools available that refretting, levelling and crowning a guitar is a very achievable goal by anyone who is comfortable around tools and fine woodworking. The subtleties take longer to master, but that’s a given.

A lot of the art has to do with the diagnosis - why are the frets uneven and where are they uneven? There is often an issue where the neck meets the body and where the neck extends on to the body. Learning how to handle these high frets often requires their removal and levelling of the fretboard. You should know how to adjust and lubricate the truss rod and how to evaluate whether the neck needs a reset, or there is an issue with the bridge.

One tip I do have is to make sure that all of the frets are well seated before starting. You can check this visually, or with a thin feeler gauge slid under the fret (and it here should be no space under the fret) Seating frets that have ‘sprung up’ will cure a lot of issues with unevenness and buzzing. In fact, before levelling, I would advise taking a fret setter and tapping in each one before even starting the process. I have solved the problem of uneven frets in several guitars with just this one tip.

Last year I did my first refret on a Yamaha FG140. It came out pretty darn well - I’ll give myself an A minus on the exam. But more than the actual mechanics of the fret job, I ended up learning an awful lot about the diagnosis of the problem.

Hey - have fun with this. Repairing and restoring guitars is a blast - especially when it’s a hobby and not your vocation.

Best,

Rick
Old 12-10-2022, 08:47 PM

Get the best tools your budget will allow. I've learned this the hard way, time and again.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

My tips -

Don't over grip any tools or polishing materials (wire wool of the like). Doing fretwork is a very quick way to bugger your elbows/wrists/shoulders without realising you are doing any damage. The job will take longer than you think to start with, so don't keep at it - stop and come back another day.

Get one of those weird shaped fret rocker tools with 4 different length straight edges. They are great for finding high spots. I have emphasised "spots" because a high fret is often not high along its entire length so use the rocker tool in 4 or so positions across each fret.

Check to see if your uneven fret(s) have an obvious cause; such as not being fully seated or have sprung ends and cure that first before undertaking any levelling action.

Remember that if your frets are correctly seated then a fret level is actually correcting issues with the fretboard or the neck/body attachment. So see if you can spot the causes just in case there is another solution.

Have some ultra low viscosity superglue in a fine applicator to hand - you never know when that will solve those frustrating issues like a dead spot on a fret.

If you ever have superglue to hand ALWAYS have a bottle of de-bonder open already on the work bench and within reach.

Wear glasses.

If I can think of any more things that I have done wrong over the years, in addition to all the above, I'll let you know!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair