The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Oldest first song?

Probably done before here, but any older first-time songwriters?
Seems to be rare birds who write beyond 30 or 40 with much success, but I know it happens.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-24-2022, 11:05 AM

I know several people (including myself!) who didn't start writing poetry until their 40s, but none as far as I know who write songs. At one time I thought I might convert a poem into a song. Then I got real
Old 11-24-2022, 11:07 AM

First song - 64 years of age (3 years ago). An excellent local singer/songwriter or my acquaintance asked me if I evever wrote my own songs. I flippantly responded that I didn't have the emotional integrity to do that. But then one quiet evening, I had a go. I've now written about 10, I think. Perform them all regularly at open mics. Producer chappie wants me to record them. Keep putting him off ('need to get them better etc -) but I will do that 'soon' (I think). Get pretty good feedback at open mics which does please and surprise me (I did always think others have better stuff, but I'm slowly moving on from that thought process). Nothing fancy, but they are all 'me' - and 'serious' type songs. Obviously subject matter reflects my age and experience. Anyway, trying to build a collection of covers to offset the pain/loss and misery of my own stuff.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:33 AM

I've written or co-written quite a few, and have been in a mostly originals band for the last 20+ years. some very recent.

we probably have close to 30 from the collaboration. I have maybe 10 that I've written myself

for me it's odd, they either spill out of my head so fast I can't capture the ideas fast enough, or the die a slow lonely death and just get tossed by the way side.

here's a recent one, from about 2019 or there abouts.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=653643

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:51 AM

Dave - I wrote this song in 2018 - so I was 65 then, It's had 28 views on YouTube! It's about a subject near and dear to our hearts on AGF and it's called, "I Need Some GAS Money Honey."

I've written a few others, but the muse has not visited me in some time. Next up will be a ditty, "91's Got Truck", which was coined by my three-year old grand daughter. She actually has her version and I suppose that I am either plagiarizing her or merely embellishing her genius. If she wants the songwriting credits, they're hers for the asking.

Before this song, I had never even imagined I could or would write a song.

Here’s an idea for you: “The V.A Blues.”

Last edited by srick; 11-24-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Rick,
that's GREAT! (you're now up to 29 YouTube hits)

Thanks for sharing that. If I ever get off my duff and write/record a tune, I promise to post it. (and shoot for 30 views!!)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-24-2022, 08:29 PM

i was a teenager when I wrote my first song. And then 40 years of playing went by before there was another. I still think of myself as a traditional player, which I largely am, but I must have 100 songs or instrumentals committed to paper now and just issued my first all self-penned CD - last years COVID project.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Rick,
that's GREAT! (you're now up to 29 YouTube hits)

Thanks for sharing that. If I ever get off my duff and write/record a tune, I promise to post it. (and shoot for 30 views!!)
Thanks Dave. Wow … 30 views… never in my wildest dreams…

It’s funny when a song comes to you. For me, it usually starts with a phrase, and if that phrase is good enough, the song blossoms (sort of like a fractal expanding). So obviously the phrase here, was “I need some gas money honey.” And I have also written a sweet one about my daughters wedding that begins with the phrase, “sway with me.”

My favorite is about the cost of my daughter’s wedding. The idea for that stemmed from a comment my father in law made long ago about how a piece of wedding cake was the most expensive piece of food that you would ever eat. That morphed into the chorus:

Have another drink, it’s the best day of her life,
Have another drink, your girl’s becoming his wife.
Have another drink, don’t worry about the price,
The band is cranking, your credit card’s tanking,
And the cake’s fifty bucks a slice.

For me, once a song gets going, it’s sort of like a crossword puzzle that clicks.

And as I mentioned, the muse hasn’t hit me lately, but it’s close…

91’s got trucks,91’s got trucks-
I’m hope my Honda’s not stuck,
Behind those 91 trucks.

Back when I did Open Mics, pre pandemic, it was a lot of fun to see how the songs were received. I probably need that motivation again.

So try it… the VA Blues! Or the G-I Blues (which I should probably write!). I will add, that to write, you need the time to daydream. You and I have\had jobs where that is not an option.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:04 AM

In my early 60's I met a great songwriter who was just a couple of years younger than me. The songs pored out of him. It wasn't unusual for him to crank out 4 in a week. I really admired his ability. In my mid-60's I finally wrote one of my own. It was an ok song but not what I heard in my head. I started paying attention to how songs that I really liked were constructed and tried again. Now I am 70 and am still writing. I will never be a great guitar player but I think I am writing some really good songs. This is the greatest source of enjoyment in my music journey at this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write