The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-20-2022, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice! Enjoy it!

I'm on the fence about picking up an electric, but I was looking at this Fender Player Telecaster - I keep hearing Sultan's Of Swing's lead in my head every time I look at it,

I say go for it, Barry. But first go to GC and play as many electrics as you can, and do it a few times. I too thought I wanted a Tele, but that's not the sound I want to hear right now. Later on, when I'm more used to this maybe a Strat, not a Tele, more likely an SG. Who knows!

So get yourself over to GC. Have some fun and leave with a new guitar!
Old 11-20-2022, 02:12 PM

My first electric was a Les Paul, which I found unsatisfying, so I got a Tele, which I found unsatisfying, then I got a ’67 Gretsch Nashville, which was just right, as a lifetime acoustic player.

I find that there are just some songs which sound better with an acoustic guitar and some better with an electric, sticking with my basic syncopated three finger picking. I have three pedals, reverb, delay and a tuner. When I play out I try to play half the set with acoustic guitar and half with the electric. I have a Fishman 220, but I find I mostly cover the job fine with the little Fishman Loudbox Mini. I use an amp modeler most of the time so I can run the acoustic and electric through the same PA without lugging an extra amp. I always play clean.

One of the jam groups I sometime play with is limited to acoustic instruments but the other mixes them up, but with the understanding that attention will be paid to how loud you set your amp so you don’t bury the other players. One guy uses a boost pedal for that reason.

I have made no attempt at all to learn a new style of picking or playing, I just adapt what I know to the electric instrument and the songs that benefit from the electric guitar. I play rhythm guitar in a little 3 piece group, and the lead guy does all we need up the neck.

I really think playing both acoustic and electric guitars provides a lot of variety for the audience and for myself when playing alone. I don’t know why so many acoustic players are hostile to the idea.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-21-2022, 09:05 AM

Congratulations! Love hearing your experience. I’m in a similar situation. Acoustic player for years and recently bought an Eastman T64…and have been picking that up a lot more often than my McIlroy! Lots of inspiration and joy to be found playing such a lovely electric. Cheers from Maine!
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 11-21-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I say go for it, Barry. But first go to GC and play as many electrics as you can, and do it a few times. I too thought I wanted a Tele, but that's not the sound I want to hear right now. Later on, when I'm more used to this maybe a Strat, not a Tele, more likely an SG. Who knows!

So get yourself over to GC. Have some fun and leave with a new guitar!
but,,,

that was done on a strat using the position that turns on the middle and bridge pickup. A tele, tone-wise, aint gonna go there....

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-21-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
but,,,

that was done on a strat using the position that turns on the middle and bridge pickup. A tele, tone-wise, aint gonna go there....
No tele's in this version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiXXfiUh-QU
Old 11-21-2022, 05:48 PM

This one swayed me back to experimenting a bit on the electric side:

I did the D.I.Y. version:

Old 11-21-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice! Enjoy it!

I'm on the fence about picking up an electric, but I was looking at this Fender Player Telecaster - I keep hearing Sultan's Of Swing's lead in my head every time I look at it,
Just so you know, Sultans of Swing is pure stratocaster work. A tele with wide range humbuckers will never get you anywhere close. A traditional tele with single coils is an amazing tool.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 11-21-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Just so you know, Sultans of Swing is pure stratocaster work. A tele with wide range humbuckers will never get you anywhere close. A traditional tele with single coils is an amazing tool.
This is true. The only tele I’ve seen knopfler play is a red schecter on walk of life
Old 11-22-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCary View Post
This is true. The only tele I’ve seen knopfler play is a red schecter on walk of life

He played one on Belle Star as well, at least live…
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars