The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-20-2022, 03:22 PM

Default Right or Left?

Recently I have found that the mistakes that I make while playing are more commonly mistakes with the right hand (pick hand) than with the left hand (the fretting hand). Is that common? I mean where are your mistakes made? I’m sure that there are exercises and practice regimens that will help, but what are they, where can I find them and do they really work?
Old 11-20-2022, 03:43 PM

Whichever hand is the weaker/less-trained one will tend to be the source of mistakes.

It's different for everyone and you may even find it changing throughout your life on guitar.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-20-2022, 06:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I am a lefty playing righty. I don't know about mistakes, but I find myself having to work far harder to make my right hand cooperate that I must for my left.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-20-2022, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

To miss quote a golfing phrase:

The left hand is for show but the right hand earns the doe.

To miss quote a football phrase:

Your right hand work is not a matter of life or death; it's far more important than that!

My timing, my dynamics, my timbre, my rhythm, my flow - all come from my right hand. And I certainly pay more attention to it than to my left.

My one suggestion for training the right hand is quite simple - a metronome.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Depends on what is being played. Sometimes more skill is asked of the fretting and sometimes of the picking hand.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-20-2022, 07:19 PM

I am, or rather was, a finger picker. Both right and left hand are important. But what happens in tour head trumps both. In your head you hear music, you copy music, you plan music and you change music. The big skill is linking what happens in your head to what happens in your hands.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Hi all…
My mistakes these days tend to be 'brain' errors not technique (hand) errors.

If I allow myself to be distracted or I forget a musical cue (or lose track which verse we are on or forget whether or not we repeated the bridge already) missing a chord, or an entrance, forgetting to drop out, or missing a lead lick, it's not a hand issue.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-20-2022, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm right handed. My right hand always seems to know what to do; my left hand is the one that has to learn the fretboard, and to me, that is a little harder, though not by much. For some reason I learn songs or pieces fairly quickly unless they are quite complex.

- Glenn
Old 11-21-2022, 02:37 AM

For my right hand fingers to feel in control of the situation I need 57mm string spacing, but for my left hand to have a better chance of fretting chord shapes cleanly I need the narrower fingerboard that comes with 55mm string spacing. Since I started filing my finger picks so short they are barely there I have been able to feel contact of the string on flesh again and that has made a big difference to control so I may move over to 55mm in future if I find a used box I like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write