The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Taking Pickup Signal To Baggs PADI EFX Return?

How do I use a mono cable to take a pickup signal to the PADI's EFX return? From what I read in the user manual, the return is at the ring contact of a stereo jack. Does this mean that I'd just insert the mono plug part way, until I hear/feel a first click?

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I vaguely recall reading about this in past forum posts, so I'm aware that some members (current or past) have some experience with this.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:17 PM

What exactly are you trying to do?

It sounds like you're wanting to have your guitar go through the PADI and have a second source (a different pickup?) come into the PADI on the effects loop...

That's a weird way of doing that, unless you're using a single channel amp.

If that's what you're trying to do, I'd use a small mixer to blend the two sources.

But if you really wanna do it, you're going to have to wire a special cable that is mono at the (I assume a 1/4" jack) source and stereo on the other end -- BUT you'll have the ground go to the sleeve, and the hot go to the ring.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
How do I use a mono cable to take a pickup signal to the PADI's EFX return? From what I read in the user manual, the return is at the ring contact of a stereo jack. Does this mean that I'd just insert the mono plug part way, until I hear/feel a first click?

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I vaguely recall reading about this in past forum posts, so I'm aware that some members (current or past) have some experience with this.
Are you wanting to do this to bypass the preamp? I’ve heard some people do that to increase headroom if they can’t help exceeding the front end. I’m not sure it can be achieved with a mono cable as that insert is intended for TRS cables.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-23-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
What exactly are you trying to do?

It sounds like you're wanting to have your guitar go through the PADI and have a second source (a different pickup?) come into the PADI on the effects loop...

That's a weird way of doing that, unless you're using a single channel amp.

If that's what you're trying to do, I'd use a small mixer to blend the two sources.

But if you really wanna do it, you're going to have to wire a special cable that is mono at the (I assume a 1/4" jack) source and stereo on the other end -- BUT you'll have the ground go to the sleeve, and the hot go to the ring.
I want to do this for the reason MrEriKJ indicated - to increase the headroom for the benefit of hot active pickups. According to the last user guide, the gain section has a range of +4db to +24db.

In any event, that's an excellent work-around that you're suggesting. Thanks for the idea. I used to do wiring like that (when I wanted to just access the pickup on the ring contact), but had forgotten about it.

And thanks to MrEricJ for explaining why I want to take the signal to the EFX return. It can work well because the EQ section, volume control and phase inversion switch all follow the EFX return in the signal chain.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I want to do this for the reason MrEriKJ indicated - to increase the headroom for the benefit of hot active pickups. According to the last user guide, the gain section has a range of +4db to +24db.

In any event, that's an excellent work-around that you're suggesting. Thanks for the idea. I used to do wiring like that (when I wanted to just access the pickup on the ring contact), but had forgotten about it.

And thanks to MrEricJ for explaining why I want to take the signal to the EFX return. It can work well because the EQ section, volume control and phase inversion switch all follow the EFX return in the signal chain.
I had no clue that the EQ section was post-loop. I assumed it was a part of the pre so that actually makes it pretty versatile.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-23-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I had no clue that the EQ section was post-loop. I assumed it was a part of the pre so that actually makes it pretty versatile.
Yep. The EQ is post loop, according to the current users guide. (i just checked again.)

I forgot to mention that one also needs to put a dummy plug in the PADI input to complete the power circuit.

I happen to have a whopping hot iBeam system with no volume control. (I wedded a PUTW preamp to a passive iBeam. Wish I had tried a Schatten Design strap-jack preamp instead.) Going into the EFX return will avoid overdriving the PADI and allow me to use the PADI's notch to deal with boominess at higher sound levels.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:11 PM

Oops. Duplication. Nothing to see here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification