The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Soundcraft NotePad Series?

Does anyone use the soundcraft notepad series mixers? I noticed they are less money, are the preamps of less quality? Do they come with effects and how do they sound if they do?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 AM

Notepad 8FX vs EFX-8. Pretty big price difference..
Old 11-22-2019, 12:32 AM

I have two Soundcraft mixers. An MFXi8 and a Notepad 12FX. The MFX is definitely superior in most respects.

That said the Notepad is a very small footprint, decent preamps and effects and suits me very well for small gigs where the bigger mixer would be cumbersome or just unnecessary. I use just a pinch of reverb ... sorta fancied a very small Delay on vocal but the touch tempo on that drives me insane, so....

If you need compact and gig worthy quality the Notepads are worth a look.

Kris
Old 11-22-2019, 01:02 AM

I keep a Notepad 12FX in a small case and take it with me on out of town solo gigs as a spare. I used it for a few gigs when I got it (to learn how to, and what the gain structure etc was like), and found the preamps to be quite nice. The FX are pretty basic with only one reverb, but work well.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:04 AM

I think I’m torn between compact and high quality sound. Maybe I need to consider the average listener won’t be able to differentiate preamps in a mixer. Thanks Kris.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:54 AM

I have the Notepad 8FX and EFX8. The average listener will NOT be able to tell the difference. Both have high quality preamps. The EFX has more and better effects than the Notepad and a parametric mid EQ but it’s a lot larger and heavier and doesn’t have a hi-pass filter like the Notepad. The Notepad is more than adequate and I’ve even used it for a guitar/bass duo (w/vocals for each). I’m back to gigging with the EFX though for my own pleasure but I do miss the hi-pass filter.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 AM

I am happy with the 12FX, BUT the windows drivers are unsigned which if you ever plan to use it as a digital audio interface requires rebooting your PC in a specific debug mode :~(.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Seems like the parametric mid eq is nice to have when working with some of these soundboard transducers (k&k). One thought is if your using a pre with sweepable mids you don’t need that function on the mixer.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:03 AM

I will lug a larger mixer
If it means having the sweepable
Midrange. The zed10x is small and
Has the parametric mid.you might
Want to chk it out as well.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:21 PM

I would be adding a touch of reverb to the vocal. Do you feel the Zed reverb gets the job done? How about the build, which one seems more solid? Thanks for all the replies. Also, is the EPM the same as the EFX just no effects?

Last edited by arashaw; 11-22-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:47 PM

I’ve been using the Notepad 12fx for a little while and I really like it. It has good preamps and the high-pass filter is useful (as is the hi-Z switch, which I use for my stompbox). The EQ is simple but effective. There’s a bank of three effects but I only use the reverb. I haven’t used a monitor with it as I don’t understand how the effects bus and aux bus are on the same set of pots, but this is more of a solo or small duo mixer anyways.

For a sub-$200 mixer it’s great.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:14 PM

Default power supply

I used to own the older version of this mixer, the Notepad 124. While I liked it's sound and features, I wasn't a huge fan of the large external power supply "brick" and cord, especially at a gig when moving gear around and whatnot (and hence the main reason I sold it). Does anyone who owns the Notepad-12FX have any concerns in this regard, i.e. the durability of the external power supply? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:16 PM

Honestly I prefer it to a wall-wart. I keep the two cords coiled together neatly and have a spot for them in my suitcase. There’s maybe a disadvantage over a standard three-prong power cable, but so far I don’t mind the difference.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 PM

I have a low budget PA setup in my garage I use for practice. I think it sounds pretty good for what it is. The PA consist of a Notepad 8fx, a pair of Harbinger 12" powered speakers (SDOTD specials), a pedalboard and a SM58 mic.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification