The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-06-2019, 02:44 PM

Default Pedalboard power supply advice

Hi guys I’m in the process of starting to put a pedalboard together (I’m thinking of a pedaltrain 16?).

The one thing that confusing me is what power supply I will need. I’ve already got some of the pedals below or intend to buy some mentioned or similar:

TC Helicon Harmony Singer
Fishman Platinum Pro
Fender Smolder Acoustic OD
Boss RC-3 Looper
TC HOF Reverb

I’m pretty sure all the pedals are 9v with the exception of the harmony singer which is 12v. Can anyone recommend a power brick that will fit on the pedal board with these pedals and also power them all adequately taking into account the different voltage/amps.

Thanks in advance!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 11-06-2019, 03:05 PM

The VooDoo Labs power supplies have 9 and 12 volt outputs like many others. you also need to know what your total amperage draw is from all of your pedals and it is best to get more than what you need in case you add more pedals.

It also matters whether you want a rechargeable power source like the Volto pedal power and some of the Voodoo Lab power supplies, or a power source you will still need AC for. If you want complete independence, then look for the rechargeable power supplies. Strymon has a good variety but they are pricey.

If you know very little about the subject, I would call someone like Sweetwater and talk to a customer sales rep. You could also contact the manufacturer like Voodoo Labs or Strymon and they will be of help.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
The VooDoo Labs power supplies have 9 and 12 volt outputs like many others. you also need to know what your total amperage draw is from all of your pedals and it is best to get more than what you need in case you add more pedals.

It also matters whether you want a rechargeable power source like the Volto pedal power and some of the Voodoo Lab power supplies, or a power source you will still need AC for. If you want complete independence, then look for the rechargeable power supplies. Strymon has a good variety but they are pricey.

If you know very little about the subject, I would call someone like Sweetwater and talk to a customer sales rep. You could also contact the manufacturer like Voodoo Labs or Strymon and they will be of help.
Thanks I know very little about this area. I don’t want to spend stupid amounts but I don’t want something that will fry the pedals or cause hums and buzzed either

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 11-06-2019, 04:42 PM

I made the switch to all battery power about a year ago. I use an Omars brick with an 88.8w capacity and 14.8 voltage it has a two pronged plug input as well as two usb inputs so I can charge my iPad/phone if need during the gig.

The Omars lasts me two gigs easy and, paired with the Bose S1, keeps me from having to set up near an electric, which is fine unless that is the ONLY consideration for playing in a particular spot.

It has cut down on set up time and given me a bit of latitude on deciding where to play.

I am not knowledgeable about electricity so had a co-worker who's an electrical engineer do all the math on how much juice I needed.

Overall I think it's a nice little convenience for the money.

Good luck!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 11-06-2019, 05:02 PM

Check out the various power supply offers at your local or wherever.

Cioks, Voodoo Labs, Strymon and a few others.

I have the original Pedaltrain Jnr. Run into a Harmony Singer (1) 12v, then Chorus, Comp, Delay all 9v, TC Ditto x2 9v, TC Polytune 9v, to a PZ deluxe 15v.

Power supply is a Cioks DC10 it is one of the few that supplies 15v. All this on top of board. I did look into mounting the Cioks underneath but in the end it was easier and fitted neatly enough so.. plus easy to see everything and know if something has come loose or whatever.

You just need to work out your layout... then how many inputs and voltage/ampage requirements, then go shopping.

Kris
Old 11-07-2019, 01:42 AM

Thanks for that - does anyone have experience with the T-Rex power supplies ? They have a few (fuel tank, chameleon etc)

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 AM

I have a Pedaltrain that came with a DC Brick, but I was getting some noise because the power was not isolated from each other. After reading about every power brick made, I decided on the Truetone 1 SPOT PRO CS12 and purchased it through Sweetwater. It’s been great and I’ve had no noise issues.

I’ve switched out some pedals since I started using the CS12 and it’s been really nice having the flexible power options it offers. Check it out......it’s very versatile, well made and affordable.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 AM

I have 3 pedal boards for acoustic guitar. One using and eneloop battery; the other 2 using a Truetone Cs7. There are no 12volt connections on the CS-7, however, in times I use either a 12 or 24 volt pedal, I have a small 3 slot power strip I put under my pedal board and plug into power.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 AM

I really like the look of the T-Rex fuel tank power supply. It’s saying it can take a total of 500ma from the 9v.

The Platinum pro manual says it uses 17ma. Does that sound right? I’m guessing if it is the supply will easily manage all my pedals.

It also has a 12v ac and a 12v dc inputs which should cover my harmony singer which I believe requires 400ma?

And one last question - in terms of order of pedals. Am I right with the following:

Guitar > Harmony Singer > Plat Pro > (Effects loop send) Fender OD > HOF > Looper (effects return)
And then XLR from the Plat Pro to the PA mixer?

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT

Last edited by Nick84; 11-07-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Additional questions
Old 11-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Default Pedalboard power supply advice

I just ordered a pedalboard with a built in lithium battery and power distribution this morning. I ordered the smaller version:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...d%20Pedalboard

So far I’m just planning to put two pedals on it: an Elite Acoustics StompMix4 and an ElectroHarmonix Bass9. One of them is 9v and the other is 12v. This should make for a very easy setup.

I am going to spread the pedals out a little more than usual in order to have access to the two XLR inputs on the right side of the StompMix4.

Last edited by lkingston; 11-07-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post

And one last question - in terms of order of pedals. Am I right with the following:

Guitar > Harmony Singer > Plat Pro > (Effects loop send) Fender OD > HOF > Looper (effects return)
And then XLR from the Plat Pro to the PA mixer?
I run Guitar with passive pickup > Fishman Plat Pro > (efx send) Harmony
Singer 2 > Looper (efx return)
and then XLR out from Plat Pro to Mixer.

I anxiously await thoughts, also wondering what difference it would make.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:16 PM

From where I sit, one word, Strymon
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I run Guitar with passive pickup > Fishman Plat Pro > (efx send) Harmony
Singer 2 > Looper (efx return)
and then XLR out from Plat Pro to Mixer.

I anxiously await thoughts, also wondering what difference it would make.
Interesting I always thought the HS had to be at the start of the chain. I suppose it’s first in the effects loop so doesn’t matter that it’s not before the platinum pro.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 11-14-2019, 09:56 PM

Voodoo 4x4 is a good buy, likely more than you’ll ever need. I also have used a Cioks DC5, fits under the nano boards. They are a bit smaller than voodoo, and also a bit more expensive. Both are great.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 11-14-2019, 10:58 PM

Make a list:

Pedal... Voltage... Amps... Connector type (usually center negative but not always)

Map your voltage and amperage to the outputs of the power supply you're considering plug for plug. Sometimes you need more high amperage outputs (300ma or more) than you have available in which case you need a different power supply. Sometimes you'll need a special cable to get 18V.. or a special cable to double up on amps by combining outputs. Had to do this more with my Voodoo than I wanted.

Strymon is nice but expensive and overkill for most applications (asked Santa for one this year anyway). Overall, I like the MXR DC Brick 237 for three reasons: Lots of high amp outputs, transformer is away from your board (no hum), and they're relatively cheap. https://www.amazon.com/MXR-M237-Bric.../dp/B00B5I9GYW

If you just want to learn and get your feet wet without much investment, I've found the Donner to work fine. Not any more noise than my VooDoo but, like the Voodoo, not enough higher amp outputs for me. https://www.amazon.com/Donner-Guitar...XNX9511FBCDANY

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification