The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Thanks for that Gregg, appreciate you giving that insight!
My pleasure, love talking about guitar construction, my brain is constantly pondering ways to improve these things.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:05 AM

Wow, looks nice Gregg!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Wow, looks nice Gregg!
Thanks Denis.......I am in the middle of French polishing this guitar with amber shellac and I love the look. Never messed with French polish before, but I am really enjoying the process and the outcome. Each successive session increases the chatoyance, very cool. I will have this one playable before too long.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:33 PM

This is my first attempt at French Polishing and I am really having fun with this finish(these pics are after just a few sessions). The colors are much richer and the tones quite a bit darker in person. The process is hard work, but very rewarding....boy, my shoulders/arms are pretty tired tonight. Getting close now

Old 12-19-2015, 02:29 PM

Here are a few pics of the guitar after some French Polish sessions, no sanding or buffing to date, not even sure I want to as it turned out quite nice. As I mentioned earlier, this is my first attempt at French Polishing and I love it, what a fun and rewarding process. I have been playing this guitar for a few weeks now and for me, to my ear, it is one of my favorites ever, just seems to lack nothing and in DADGAD it just sings(still working on the setup). This is a completely new design for me and I am so happy with the results that I have already started another one, love the tone of this guitar. I will show the new build soon, it is going to be a Walnut/Bear Claw Lutz Spruce SJ. You can see that this guitar is a thin body design, the SJ I'm building now will be built/braced similar to this guitar except with a body approx 5/8" deeper......it also will be a 14 fret to-the-body/25.5" scale length, where this is a 13 fretter/25.4" scale length.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:22 AM

Wow! Outstanding! Will we get to hear it at some point?
Old 12-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Still love that bridge, that is a really cool touch!
Old 12-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Wow! Outstanding! Will we get to hear it at some point?
Thanks Denis......I am working on another guitar and hope to have it finished in 2 weeks (haven't even posted any pics of the build here)...it is a walnut/Lutz Spruce SJ using the same design as this guitar. My thought is to have these 2 recorded, I'm very interested in hearing the tonal differences myself. I don't have any recording gear, plus I wouldn't do any guitar justice, when they are ready I will try to find a local Atlanta/North Georgia player with the means to help out.

Cheers...Greg
Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Still love that bridge, that is a really cool touch!
Thanks TomB'sox.......I tried that laminated bridge for the heck of it, like you I think it works, so I am going to make the design part of my future builds. The guitar I am building now will have an ABW/Bloodwood/ABW bridge. both woods should work great for a bridge and look good to boot. I really appreciate the feedback.

Take Care....Greg
Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 PM

That is really cool! I'm curious as to how you feel the 13 fret scale length works with DADGAD in terms of tone? In my experience shorter scales with lower tunings tend to develop a "boxy" feel. Not bad just different.

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 12-27-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
That is really cool! I'm curious as to how you feel the 13 fret scale length works with DADGAD in terms of tone? In my experience shorter scales with lower tunings tend to develop a "boxy" feel. Not bad just different.
Thanks Will....this is a 13 fretter, but has a 25.4 scale length. To my ears it sounds really great in DADGAD, not boxy at all, if anything it is even more open and vibrant than standard tuning. The guitar I am building now is a 14 fret with 25.5" scale length, so I am very interested to see how it handles DADGAD, should have it strung up in a few weeks.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
Thanks Will....this is a 13 fretter, but has a 25.4 scale length. To my ears it sounds really great in DADGAD, not boxy at all, if anything it is even more open and vibrant than standard tuning. The guitar I am building now is a 14 fret with 25.5" scale length, so I am very interested to see how it handles DADGAD, should have it strung up in a few weeks.
I'd be interested too, will be waiting on your verdict

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
I'd be interested too, will be waiting on your verdict
Hey Will......Definitely will report back on the new build. I just took the body out of glue-up and tapping on the top made me smile, I have a very good feeling about this one

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop