The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, Berf, that''s a lot of posts in a row w/o any outside commentary! Well I am going to go off the deep end a bit here and say the thing you cannot know (yet), which is just how the guitar came out.

I was a hard sell regarding the short scale on this guitar, I've never done one so short except when making a travel guitar, and this one is intended to be the number one go-to ax. So I made a lot of qualifying statements so's Berf wouldn't have his expectations crushed when he took the thing out of the case for the first time, lest it also be the last time.

Well that was then, and this is now. After stringing I sent a note along saying "the guitar was unlikely to disappoint". A little later I got a note back asking, politely, what I thought about the performance of the guitar. Now I have to admit that was unusually understated for me, so I had to write back to make things more clear.

The instrument came out beyond all my expectations, and it was quite unnecessary to do all that qualifying. It is hard for me to believe it, but it sounds pretty much like any other of my guitars I've strung this year. I have so believed the longer strings are what it takes to get good bass, yet I have a hard time finding fault with what I hear in this guitar. Perhaps it is a hair less powerful in the bottom than my typical 00, but surely not less than my average 0, and if you've heard one of my 0's you know there is no trouble in the bottom there.

This is +/- my 35th Tucarensis guitar, and this wood is really coming through for me. It is the wood, right?

In another week or so you'll hear the owners opinion, I imagine, but I doubt you're going to read anything that will look like objective criticism.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

master craftsman at work!
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM

I'm thinking a short-scale revolution is afoot... where's Larry Pattis? Oh there here is, way out front, beckoning to us, waving an attractively truncated banner that's easier to carry, better on the hands and no-less attractive than it's full scale counterpart. Thanks for all your informative posts on the subject Larry... much appreciated.

Needless to say, I was very pleased to hear Bruce's assessment of this build and will anxiously be awaiting the postman, hopefully some time next week...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
I'm thinking a short-scale revolution is afoot... where's Larry Pattis? Oh there here is, way out front, beckoning to us, waving an attractively truncated banner that's easier to carry, better on the hands and no-less attractive than it's full scale counterpart. Thanks for all your informative posts on the subject Larry... much appreciated.

Needless to say, I was very pleased to hear Bruce's assessment of this build and will anxiously be awaiting the postman, hopefully some time next week...
Heh, heh...I saw Bruce's kind post directing me to this thread...I had perused the thread, but I missed this part:

"Scale length is 24 3/16 on the treble side and just shy of 24 3/4 on the bass."

Well, that's a tad *long* for me, but I did start down the slippery-slope by going to 24.9" and 24.75" with 'fixed' scales about 8 years ago...then 4 years ago I went down to an even 24". "Forced down" by tendonitis/arthritis would be more accurate...but with my hand size, I would have been better off with a 24" scale 35 years ago!!!

The nice thing is that Mark Blanchard built me 3 absolutely stunning 24.75" scale 00 sized guitars...although sadly I had to sell them when I jumped all the way down to 24".

The other nice thing is that Blanchard and Kent Chasson have since built 24" scale guitars with 15" and 15-5/8" lower bouts, respectively...and these guitars pound out a *lot* of sound....and they feel *great* to play.

There will also be a guitar from Simon Fay that will be an OM-ish 24" scale shortly.

Steve Sheriff (Edwinson Guitars) has built his small-body Falcon/Siren guitars with sub-23" scales, as well...a larger body may be coming from him, coupled with the short scales.

Berf (& Bruce), what gauge strings are you using on this nifty little guitar? I have been using a straight medium gauge set for 4 years on my Larrivée parlors, and will continue to do so on the guitar from Ray Kraut.

I will only take credit for *needing* the short scale, and for chatting about it (somewhat incessantly). My hat is off to the builders who are beginning to experiment with builds of this nature. Small hands and aging guitarists will appreciate this...and the 24" scale is just simply comfortable to play...

It's pretty amazing what mediums on a 24" scale will do, sound-wise, with a fine handcrafted guitar!

Glad to see folks are discovering the super-short-scale realm of possibilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post

The instrument came out beyond all my expectations, and it was quite unnecessary to do all that qualifying. It is hard for me to believe it, but it sounds pretty much like any other of my guitars I've strung this year. I have so believed the longer strings are what it takes to get good bass, yet I have a hard time finding fault with what I hear in this guitar. Perhaps it is a hair less powerful in the bottom than my typical 00, but surely not less than my average 0, and if you've heard one of my 0's you know there is no trouble in the bottom there.

Well, I have experienced this "no lack of bass" in both power and clarity on the Blanchard and Chasson guitars referred to above.

I'm glad that a builder of Bruce's stature and visibility here is able to say this with one of his guitars.

I find all the responsiveness I need, clarity, power, can be found with the short-scales...

Lastly, CONGRATS to Berf and Bruce on the success of this new guitar...heck of a good way to launch into the new year, methinks....
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 02-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was inspired by adjacent threads to ask Berf if he wanted to try Mediums, though I use lights on automatic pilot, and have forever. He was not thrilled, to say the least, so I strung it up with lights as I would have if left to my own devices. No disappointments I think, and I really cannot see any purpose in put mediums on as they tend (in my experience) to fatten the sound at some expense to sparkle and a lively easy response, and this guitar is already amazingly full and warm, but most of all it is very joyful and easy to play.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Humanist

Quote:
I was inspired by adjacent threads to ask Berf if he wanted to try Mediums, though I use lights on automatic pilot, and have forever. He was not thrilled, to say the least, so I strung it up with lights as I would have if left to my own devices. No disappointments I think, and I really cannot see any purpose in put mediums on as they tend (in my experience) to fatten the sound at some expense to sparkle and a lively easy response, and this guitar is already amazingly full and warm, but most of all it is very joyful and easy to play.

Berf might want to try .017 and .013 on the high strings, just as an experiment...even if he's not going to use alternate tunings. That's where *I* would go right away with this instrument.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 PM

I always enjoy watching threads on your builds, Bruce. I hope this comes across correctly but I appreciate your "Old School" fundamental approach while embracing an attitude and ethos of constantly challenging and improving your tried and trusted techniques as well.

I also love the fact that you are always prepared to give objective comments on your own work.

As always, a privelage to see a master craftsman at work!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
I always enjoy watching threads on your builds, Bruce. I hope this comes across correctly but I appreciate your "Old School" fundamental approach while embracing an attitude and ethos of constantly challenging and improving your tried and trusted techniques as well.
I used to post a lot at the old APM forum and often admired Bruce's guitars. I remember once making a comment that he particularly liked that was something along the lines of...
Bruce's manages to create guitars that look as if they could have been built a 100 years in the ago and at the same could be built a 100 years into the future.

Congrats on what is no doubt an amazing guitar Berf!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post

I like it.....I'm sure she'll be a keeper !!!!........
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is stunning to me when one of my instruments isn't permanently bonded with. For the first 25 years of my career I never heard of a single guitar being resold! It is a different world now, of course, but I still believe less that one in 10 of my subsequent guitars have found themselves on the block. Once they do go into the after-market, they seem to be more likely to be resold again. I do not entirely understand this, but have observed it. As far as I'm concerned, those that failed to bond with the original owner are no better or worse than any other of my pieces.

I do indeed think of my pieces as cutting edge traditional. Thank you again!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Default Quote of quotes

Quote:
cutting edge traditional
I love this!
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I do indeed think of my pieces as cutting edge traditional. Thank you again!
I agree with Bill..

"Cutting Edge Traditional"....

For someone who is about as far from the corporate market driven mindset as could be imagined...that is as perfect and accurate of a branding phrase as I've seen in a long time...

LC
Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Lastly, CONGRATS to Berf and Bruce on the success of this new guitar...heck of a good way to launch into the new year, methinks....
Thanks Larry... I completely agree and will consider the string gauge suggestions you made.

Quote:
Congrats on what is no doubt an amazing guitar Berf!
Thanks to you too jwieties for your kind comment.

Quote:
I like it.....I'm sure she'll be a keeper !!!!........
Me too Rollie!

And thanks for all the other contributions too... it makes for a much more enjoyable read.

I also wanted to acknowledge Bruce's willingness to try something a bit different on this build. As he mentioned:
Quote:
I was a hard sell regarding the short scale on this guitar, I've never done one so short except when making a travel guitar
It's true that we had a few discussions around this before reaching agreement. Weighing all things up I decided to go with a slightly longer scale length than originally intended but with the lessened tension of light strings. Ergonomics vs. Tone kind of defined the Maginot line between Bruce and I prior to commissioning this guitar... we kept eyeing each other over the concrete fortifications and eventually reached a compromise. As Bruce explained previously, he made me fully aware that I was to expect some detrimental effect on tone. Happily the results seem to have exceeded all expectations... and I really looking forward to hearing it with my own ears. Maybe on the next one we’ll go even shorter eh Bruce????
Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

You're scarin' me . ! . ! . a little.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default You know what this means!

Went out Yesterday.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop