The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 PM

Default DI? EQ? What to do... for LR Baggs M1A

I got an LR Baggs M1A for my Taylor Big Baby, mainly just to be able to play at a friend's jam session every couple of months. The situation is loud, in an open two car garage out in the sticks. No professional sound guy on hand or anything, just my friend, managing all of the guitars that are ran through a PA, then there's the drummer on the side.

I haven't even plugged in yet, as I don't have an amp etc..., or access to one. I'm completely pedal dumb, and have been researching on my own the past few days and now I have questions:

Will an EQ do the trick? Does it have to be DI? What's a good EQ option that doesn't break the bank for an the M1A/active soundhole?

I'll ask a question on a related thread here or there, and have gotten a few answers, so thanks to you guys. I just don't want to derail any threads.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Have a look at the Fishman platinum stage - not expensive can be powered 3 different ways, parametric EQ, compact and not expensive at all. It has XLR DI out and 1/4 inch out so ideal for going to an amp or a PA (a DI out is best for the PA)

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-20-2019, 03:38 PM

I have one of these..

Behringer V-Tone Acoustic AD 121. I have used it with my Baggs M1A and Baggs Lyric with great success.

They're available from Thomann in Europe for about €21, would guess they deliver to the US. At that price, you'd be hard pushed to find anything better.

It sounds like you're new to the wonderful world of trying to make your guitar louder than it really is and believe me, you can spend the rest of your life looking for the answer. When you find it, please let me know first and then pass it on to the rest of the forum..!

While the Fishman gear is excellent, I think you'll get everything you want from this unit at a much lower price.

If you find you that you like it and want to get something more flexible, you can either sell it or, like me just keep it in your bag as back up. It hasn't cost you much so no big deal if you only use it once a year..!

Good luck..
Old 11-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Just noticed this thread, it seems to back up my experience with the AD121..

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564048
Old 11-20-2019, 04:53 PM

All good advice above, but I think you should go to one jam and just use the volume control on the M1A. That might be all you need.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
All good advice above, but I think you should go to one jam and just use the volume control on the M1A. That might be all you need.
I agree. Try what you have first and see what happens.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Good advice, guys, appreciated.

It does make sense to just try it out first then go from there, guess I just fear getting out there and not being happy with the sound and wanting something to fall back on.

As for that Behringer unit, I actually have seen a lot of good reviews for it. Guess I'm a bit skeptical seeing its price, almost "too good to be true", but also, at that price, it isn't costing much just to try it out.

Again, thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Coming back through, and was curious about what would be the differences between the Adi21 and the EQ700 in relation to the M1A?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Yes. Plug the guitar direct into the PA. You've got volume control on the pickup. Also the channel on the PA will have some input gain and likely some EQ capability for the channel you're in. Just go with that and see how it works.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Yes. Plug the guitar direct into the PA. You've got volume control on the pickup. Also the channel on the PA will have some input gain and likely some EQ capability for the channel you're in. Just go with that and see how it works.
The M1A was designed as a plug and play pickup. I've used one in the past and they do a decent job straight to pa. In fact I had other players approach me asking about the pickup, they were that impressed.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:54 AM

Just to underline what's been said above but from the point of view of a Grumpy Old Git:

I dislike magnetic pickups in general - but the m1a is ok.
I dislike Behringer products in general - but the ad121 is ok.

I own both, they are rarely used but when they are (sometimes together) it's for a specific job which they both do well.

Hth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification