The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2019, 01:34 AM

Question Dazzo 60 or 70 for OM w/Hog back and sides

Heya all,

For those of you with Dazzo pickup's in your guitars I'd like a little insight... I'm debating between Dazzo 60's or 70's for my Boucher OM-SG1 (AAAA spruce top and mahogany back and sides). The guitar is pretty 'martiny' in that it has plenty of bass projection and nice low end but it's also quite balanced (yes, I'm terrible at describing sound with words )

Here's a link to some tracks I recorded for you all to get a sense of the guitar and perhaps chime in with your own advice (pls ignore the technique)

https://soundcloud.com/user-47270832...h-sg41/s-pm5JQ

I'm leaning towards 70's but I wouldn't want the pickup to be 'boomy' or 'muddy' considering it's an OM body shape (in which case I'd go with the 60's)

Any thoughts / advice would be most appreciated!

-Z.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoken View Post
Heya all,

For those of you with Dazzo pickup's in your guitars I'd like a little insight... I'm debating between Dazzo 60's or 70's for my Boucher OM-SG1 (AAAA spruce top and mahogany back and sides). The guitar is pretty 'martiny' in that it has plenty of bass projection and nice low end but it's also quite balanced (yes, I'm terrible at describing sound with words )

Here's a link to some tracks I recorded for you all to get a sense of the guitar and perhaps chime in with your own advice (pls ignore the technique)

https://soundcloud.com/user-47270832...h-sg41/s-pm5JQ

I'm leaning towards 70's but I wouldn't want the pickup to be 'boomy' or 'muddy' considering it's an OM body shape (in which case I'd go with the 60's)

Any thoughts / advice would be most appreciated!

-Z.
I don't have any insight about the Dazzo number but those Boucher guitars are unbelievable. I live in Ontario and noticed Boucher probably about five years ago when they were not well known. Last year I became very interested and in that short time, they have pretty much tripled their dealers and have been featured in a number of YouTube videos demonstrating how good they are. I want to grab one before the prices sky rocket.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 AM

I would go with 60’s glued in. If you want to try taping them in, then go with 70’s. They had recently experimented with tape and I was told there is slightly less bass response. Call Teddy and ask him which kind of tape.

What preamp are you planning on going through? Make sure if you want to install the Dazzos passively then use a preamp that has 4.7k to 10k impedance. I f you don’t mind a battery in your guitar, I highly recommend Sunnaudio Tone Driver. It’s a small on board preamp with Volume bass and Treble controls. It is the cleanest I have heard.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I would go with 60’s glued in. If you want to try taping them in, then go with 70’s. They had recently experimented with tape and I was told there is slightly less bass response. Call Teddy and ask him which kind of tape.

What preamp are you planning on going through? Make sure if you want to install the Dazzos passively then use a preamp that has 4.7k to 10k impedance. I f you don’t mind a battery in your guitar, I highly recommend Sunnaudio Tone Driver. It’s a small on board preamp with Volume bass and Treble controls. It is the cleanest I have heard.
I am going to install my Dazzo this week. As an experiment, I want to try it with the Amulet tape, the Schatten tape and the Schatten putty. I know the putty seems like an odd choice but if use in very small amounts, it can be incredibly thin, especially when pressed against the bridge plate. I will report back.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am going to install my Dazzo this week. As an experiment, I want to try it with the Amulet tape, the Schatten tape and the Schatten putty. I know the putty seems like an odd choice but if use in very small amounts, it can be incredibly thin, especially when pressed against the bridge plate. I will report back.
Okay, is it weird that I got excited about this just now? Can’t wait to see what you think.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I don't have any insight about the Dazzo number but those Boucher guitars are unbelievable. I live in Ontario and noticed Boucher probably about five years ago when they were not well known. Last year I became very interested and in that short time, they have pretty much tripled their dealers and have been featured in a number of YouTube videos demonstrating how good they are. I want to grab one before the prices sky rocket.
They are indeed! None of the 000-18 or 000-28 I played came even close to this guitar for my personal taste.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Heya Vancebo thanks for the reply. I'll try the redeye I already have first, any thoughts on that combo? And I actually would prefer tape over glue but only if the overall sound is close to or just as good. Thoughts on a tape install?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, is it weird that I got excited about this just now? Can’t wait to see what you think.
Haha well I can't wait to try it so I get your excitement lol. My thing is, if one of these solutions sounds really good, I might just go with it. The glue might be better but I am fine with it sounding really good haha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification