The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-29-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Did some extensive checking around today and see there are a number of brands of guitars that use essentially this same idea and system. There are also sellers of the internal system that requires installation on whatever guitar you use.

The only external system that doesn't require extensive installing seems to be the Tonewood Amp.

All of them cost about the same $200-$250. So depends on your needs, if you like how it works. If you use several guitars, the Tonewood, but it usually attaches outside the guitar and looks a bit odd--but works great.

Dedicated one guitar person? Then maybe the installed type is attractive.

I did see one thread on with the OF660 where I "think" they were talking about actually being able to place the Tonewood "inside" the guitar because the soundhole was large enough to allow this. However, I'm not sure since none of the photos were visible to me for some reason.

I think for my likes, the Tonewood seems the way to go, but there are NO discounts unless someone happens to be selling used. I'd get one quickly then, but $250 makes me think twice since that is large percentage of the cost of the guitar itself.

Life is passing though. I may splurge as it really appeals to me for personal use vs hauling around a small amp of any kind.
Tonewoodamp also has a lot more tonal variations? Seems to me the way to go? Could put it in any guitar?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 AM

You can also replace one of the electric guitar effects, e.g., overdrive, with chorus by a firmware upgrade. There's not much else I would need. A nice unit for my limited needs.

Waiting for a price discount through Sweetwater. Signed up on their email list and hoping they have occasional sale offers. Not sure where else I could find a discount. Musician's Friend and basically all the other major music supply companies online do not carry it.

I think I've decided, but I'm not in a rush . . .
Old 10-03-2019, 01:58 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I just got one of these in the mail - a blue one with the Freeboost pickup. Initial impressions are very positive and better than expected.

This is a new era in guitar. The ability to dial-in an acoustic sound that you like thanks to both onboard transducer AND mic, along with reverb, delay, and chorus that comes across acoustically. Mind blown.

JR
Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I just got one of these in the mail - a blue one with the Freeboost pickup. Initial impressions are very positive and better than expected.

This is a new era in guitar. The ability to dial-in an acoustic sound that you like thanks to both onboard transducer AND mic, along with reverb, delay, and chorus that comes across acoustically. Mind blown.

JR
You know our rules over here in CF land...Photos!! Other than that... cool.. I am intrigued with these.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

16 frets clear of the body, very smooth high-ratio tuners that look good, semi-matte finish that feels durable, some kind of custom strap button that looks so nice. It's cool to see little details like that made custom.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:18 PM

That is really nice looking...I have been checking out the videos ...I think I want one...white maybe
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

iNDEED, A PRETTY GUITAR. HAS ANYONE DELVED INTO AC's QUESTION REGARDING BATTERY CHANGE?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
You want the orange one too, huh?
Haha! Nope.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Default Lava Me Battery Access

Very nice concept. However if the user does not have access to the battery it's a bad concept. It's foolish to spend $700 for a guitar that will become as useless as a paper weight when (not if) the battery dies (they all do).
Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Guest 928

And no nylon version--that's a pretty serious omission.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And no nylon version--that's a pretty serious omission.
You just had to go there...sigh...expected though
Old 10-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

So does LAVA ME...mean “wash me,” or is my high school Spanish finally no bueno.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
So does LAVA ME...mean “wash me,” or is my high school Spanish finally no bueno.
Yep. The name seems fitting because you could probably do just that. I would advise to remove the electronics first though.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 PM

This i really big 'oh oh'. What to do when the battery dies - they all do. Otherwise a nice guitar. But I do wish the nut width was a little wider.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

The full size model "Lava Me Pro" is coming out Jan/Feb next year. The free-boost system in this model has also incorporated LR Baggs system.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber