The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-27-2019, 04:59 AM

Default Lava Guitar Demo

Just came across this clip.
She's good and her new Lava sounds very impressive.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-27-2019, 05:06 AM

Just saw this today as well? Google must have my number? Interesting too cause I just recently got interested in the tonewoodamp that adds electronics to the soundhole of your wood guitar. Seems China would have a real cost advantage here?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-27-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Just saw this today as well? Google must have my number? Interesting too cause I just recently got interested in the tonewoodamp that adds electronics to the soundhole of your wood guitar. Seems China would have a real cost advantage here?
I have used the Tonewood amp on my Rainsong Shorty to good effect, it isn’t just for wood....
Nice playing on the Lava there. Nice to see any CF guitars get more publicity.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Nice demo, I have the feeling she could make most any guitar sound pretty good.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Lithium batteries last a long, long time, but say, 6-7 years from now, is there any mention how it would be changed, or, you need to upgrade guitars . . . ?

Also, there must be a speaker of some sort inside that is making the effects audible. I'm curious about that as well as the battery.

The sound hole seems too small to try to do much from the outside. My hands are smallish, but not that small.

The construction video they had a year ago or so shows that the guitar is molded from melted pellets that must have carbon fiber shreds in them.

Anyone know more about that type of carbon building process and what differences there are from using traditional carbon fiber cloth instead?
Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Just looked around quickly and found a bit more info from comments made by owners of this guitar on Amazon.

The resonator would use the guitar itself as a speaker and would be tiny. Clever.

Battery might be an issue long term but seems to be possible to replace if someone is handy and daring someday in the future.

Here are the comment excerpts I read:

What would setting up/repairing this guitar look like? If I needed neck adjustments or fret adjustments would I need to send back to the manufacturer?
Answer:
This guitar was designed to be immune to the common problems associated with wooden guitars. The body can’t crack or split and the neck can’t warp. The body and neck are manufactured as one piece and is in ideal alignment. No adjustments are possible or necessary. The guitar is Plexed before shipping which is a computerized setup process. So it comes out of the box spot on. If you like, the nut and saddle could be lowered just a bit. Electronics aside, there is nothing to break or repair. Two notes on the electronics. First, the EQ has a built-in rechargeable battery. Eventually it will fail and it does not appear to be user replaceable. With the closest factory service in China, I consider replacing the battery to be pretty much DIY. Of course it’s still a great guitar even without the Freeboost. Second, the case is so tight that it presses in on the EQ power button and turns itself on and drains the battery. If I use the case, I must tuck in a piece of foam to isolate the switch.
==============
It's an interesting concept, but execution can be better. First of all, charging is with a cable (which I don't mind), but it's quite hard to see the alignment of the USB ports there. I ended up having to try a couple of time to get it in. Using USB-C would have solved this problem. I am also concerned about the long term durability of this port as we charge it over and over again.
==============
"An internal resonator adds reverb, chorus and delay and sounds awesome."
==============
Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Sounds a bit like the Trans-Acoustic setup that Yamaha uses in some of their guitars. I have one and like it a lot, but my batteries are easily replaceable. Wonder if that's how they got around the patent ?

I'd like to put that TA setup in my Emerald.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 AM

Unhappy

Shockingly good.

Must admit this challenges my "looks don't matter" motto

....I'm not talking about the girl
Old 09-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Sounds a bit like the Trans-Acoustic setup that Yamaha uses in some of their guitars. I have one and like it a lot, but my batteries are easily replaceable. Wonder if that's how they got around the patent ?

I'd like to put that TA setup in my Emerald.
I wasn't familiar with these, but was interested in the past in the small transducers you could use to turn pieces of furniture or a window into a home speaker of sorts. I think there were some presented on Kickstarter in the past--but I don't know how if they were a success or not.

Anyone know if such things are sold for installation in ordinary guitars? I might be interested in trying something like that if the price were reasonable---and if batteries could be changed easily.

Access to inside my Journey OF660 is very easy.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Shockingly good.

Must admit this challenges my "looks don't matter" motto

....I'm not talking about the girl
You want the orange one too, huh?
Old 09-27-2019, 12:53 PM

I might consider one, but we have several CF guitars already - don't need any others in the house.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:43 AM

“I want that guitar too!”....No wait, I already have a blue-coloured one. Haha! Sorry, couldn’t resist having some fun here...

She’s a good guitarist and her finger-style skills will probably make every guitar sound (look) good.

But some points to note if you’re considering ordering this guitar. It has a nut width of 1 11/16”, which is the same nut width as the GS Mini. I gather from reading in various threads that many here find 1 11/16” too narrow. Although this guitar and GS Mini has the same nut width, this guitar’s string spacing at nut (from low E to high E) is even closer than the GS Mini’s. For more detailed measurements, you can go to the attached thread, post # 10, below:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=537618

Hope this is beneficial....
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 09-28-2019, 08:04 AM

Did some extensive checking around today and see there are a number of brands of guitars that use essentially this same idea and system. There are also sellers of the internal system that requires installation on whatever guitar you use.

The only external system that doesn't require extensive installing seems to be the Tonewood Amp.

All of them cost about the same $200-$250. So depends on your needs, if you like how it works. If you use several guitars, the Tonewood, but it usually attaches outside the guitar and looks a bit odd--but works great.

Dedicated one guitar person? Then maybe the installed type is attractive.

I did see one thread on with the OF660 where I "think" they were talking about actually being able to place the Tonewood "inside" the guitar because the soundhole was large enough to allow this. However, I'm not sure since none of the photos were visible to me for some reason.

I think for my likes, the Tonewood seems the way to go, but there are NO discounts unless someone happens to be selling used. I'd get one quickly then, but $250 makes me think twice since that is large percentage of the cost of the guitar itself.

Life is passing though. I may splurge as it really appeals to me for personal use vs hauling around a small amp of any kind.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Nice video. She makes that guitar sound sweet.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:15 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I've been so curious to play one of these since they were announced. Sounds great in the video! Such an interesting electronics setup. Maybe they will be a sponsor soon.

JR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber