The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
...the overhead lightning in the shop is in overdrive mode all the time...
Laurent,
How do you manage to work with all that flashing and noise...is the lightning followed by thunder..?

Your shop floors must be incredibly well grounded..!

But then again, that does help to explain the sound of your guitars...

Larry
Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
But why? Is it going to rain frogs today?
Oh man...there you go again...somebody stop this guy..!!

Laurent..please remember you have neighbors..!!

LC
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post

I am sorry, but, this is just one beautiful guitar!!!!!!
Steve
Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRyder View Post
Comparing a guitar to John Slobod's work can only be a compliment but I think Laurent's guitars have lines and a look all their own. I've never had the chance to play a Slobod so I can't go there.

No, no. I was guessing that John took the photo. The guitar doesn't look at all like his. Just a shot in the dark, really.

Congratulations on your guitar, Larry!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 AM

Wow Larry, I have to say that for me that guitar represents about as good as it gets. Really, a sumptuous piece of work. I love its simplicity, the shape, the woods, the overall aesthetic, and that size has to be my favourite, so neat and purposeful.

Laurent has been building a spruce/macassar ebony D-3 (mini-Ditson) for me, it would be so fun to be able to compare the 2 guitars, but I don't think timescales will permit that.... a heartfelt sigh, Dennis
Old 03-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisczech View Post
Wow Larry, I have to say that for me that guitar represents about as good as it gets. Really, a sumptuous piece of work. I love its simplicity, the shape, the woods, the overall aesthetic, and that size has to be my favourite, so neat and purposeful.

Laurent has been building a spruce/macassar ebony D-3 (mini-Ditson) for me, it would be so fun to be able to compare the 2 guitars, but I don't think timescales will permit that.... a heartfelt sigh, Dennis
Hi Dennis,
I'm in complete agreement about this guitar and Laurent's work in general...

I have felt for some time that the 00 sized guitar might just be the perfect platform for the mature player and builder who are clear on what they're aiming for..as in the context of that old debate...if you had to have just one guitar...

Laurent, while describing other projects he was involved with, sent me some in-progress shots of your D3...and he sounded very excited about your build...

Methinks you're going to be equally thrilled...

As for guitar comparisons..well..I recently played a gig with Bruce Sexauer where multiple Sexauer guitar owners and their guitars showed up to compare and play...what a fun and ear/eye opening evening..

Maybe a Laurent Brondel guitar owners show could also be arranged somewhere..especially since Laurent, like Bruce, is also an accomplished player...it might be a smaller group but I suspect the music would be of a compelling quality and variety..

Thanks,
Larry
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
I have felt for some time that the 00 sized guitar might just be the perfect platform for the mature player and builder who are clear on what they're aiming for..as in the context of that old debate...if you had to have just one guitar...

As for guitar comparisons..well..I recently played a gig with Bruce Sexauer where multiple Sexauer guitar owners and their guitars showed up to compare and play...what a fun and ear/eye opening evening..

Maybe a Laurent Brondel guitar owners show could also be arranged somewhere
Larry
I agree that the 00 is the perfect size for us, uh, Boomers. And, to that end,
here is a picture of all 4 of Laurent's 00 sized models. From left to right:

A-3 / C-3 / his new D-3 / B-3

It is very rare indeed for a builder to have all of any of their models together, but it just came together here.

As you can see, each is a true work of art and a wonderful choice to have to make.
Steve
Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 PM

oh me oh my oh, that's just too nice. From what Laurent tells me, the C-3 is red spruce/sapele that's just completed and the B-3c is German/EIR.
My D-3 is the unstrung one, looks like it's about to be strung. Man, if someone could get to play all these together, how fun would that be. I love all the different shapes on display here, but I gotta say my mini-Ditson dread shape is cute as.

On another note, I'm curious about the C and D designations for Laurent's work.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Hmmm I wonder how an A3C3/D3C3 model lineup would sound... I'm guessing that combo would really rock...

Great photo Steve... is one of those destined for your place?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 AM

Well...I've just got to say...that is quite an eye pleasing lineup...

And the one on the left is soon to be right here in still snowy upstate New York...

Incidentally it was a bit of a decision choosing between an A3 and a C3...as I found both models very appealing..ultimately the slightly larger size of the A3 won out as a better fit for my playing style and demands...but I am certainly drawn to the look and lines of the C3...

And, I'd personally be more than happy to hear all of them in the same room someday..

Something to aim for..!!

Larry

Last edited by lclyman; 03-22-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Great photo Steve... is one of those destined for your place?
Unfortunatley, no. But I have been a Brondel owner for 5 years, so, I'm good. : )
Steve
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Well..I'll be taking delivery tomorrow but I wanted to put up the most recent pictures from Laurent of the finished A3..

I asked for a different set of tuners and bridge pins, and I think the overall look is now just a bit more dressed up..which I would say most definitely suits this guitar..!!

Next post will be my impressions...

And they're rounding the clubhouse turn heading for the home stretch...!!

Enjoy..

LC
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Good grief man! I just read most of this thread. I think I need to plan a trip out there. Either that or just have Sam kidnap one of these guitars before he flies out here in a couple weeks!

This one looks just about right. I think I'll forward Sam the photos.

Congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing this and the Sexauer! Yes, I do need to make an excuse to fly out to New York. Hmmm...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop