The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2023, 04:41 PM

Maybe a bunch of people are suckers OR maybe you have different tastes or they don’t sound good on your guitar. It could be that, also.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I once got dragged in by similar marketing for aluminum bronze Strings, by Ernie Ball, I think, maybe?

According to them, they were the best things ever. However, they sounded like poo on my Guitar, and they turned my fingertips black as well.

And yet a bunch of folks loved them….

Such is marketing!

Haha

Paul
Hey Paul! I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Correct me if I'm wrong Your proffer is Ernie Ball Aluminum Strings are just a bad product that doesn't sound good and turns your fingertips black. Yet, because of marketing, somehow, people actually like them. From that position you move on an assume the same applies to these strings. That's a leap.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I once got dragged in by similar marketing for aluminum bronze Strings, by Ernie Ball, I think, maybe?

According to them, they were the best things ever. However, they sounded like poo on my Guitar, and they turned my fingertips black as well.

And yet a bunch of folks loved them….

Such is marketing!

Haha

Paul

I agree- I bought one set too many and tried to love them. Nope, not for me.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I agree- I bought one set too many and tried to love them. Nope, not for me.
I'm still struggling as to what this has to do with Martin Luxe Kovar Strings. It appears that we've come to the conclusion that the Ernie Ball Aluminum string ain't good; therefore, neither are the Martins. The supposition appears to be based on the foolish who fall for marketing hype. Seems like an odd conclusion without first having tried the strings.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile That didn’t work as intended…

I was not trying to equate the two types of strings, except for the marketing.

But heck, almost everything has marketing anymore.

Sorry to throw the train off the tracks.

Carry on, gang

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-10-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I was not trying to equate the two types of strings, except for the marketing.

But heck, almost everything has marketing anymore.

Sorry to throw the train off the tracks.

Carry on, gang

Paul
Old 10-10-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I'm still struggling as to what this has to do with Martin Luxe Kovar Strings. It appears that we've come to the conclusion that the Ernie Ball Aluminum string ain't good; therefore, neither are the Martins. The supposition appears to be based on the foolish who fall for marketing hype. Seems like an odd conclusion without first having tried the strings.

Guilty as charged for derailing a thread. Happens all the time here on AGF. However, as mentioned in a few of my prior posts, I'm not guilty of offering my dos centavos without having tried a set (of which in the case of the Luxe Cobalt I have one on deck). So I made no such conclusions nor am I telling any one else not to try a set of the new Martin strings (but I may be advising people to stay away from Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze).
Old 10-10-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Guilty as charged for derailing a thread. Happens all the time here on AGF. However, as mentioned in a few of my prior posts, I'm not guilty of offering my dos centavos without having tried a set (of which in the case of the Luxe Cobalt I have one on deck). So I made no such conclusions nor am I telling any one else not to try a set of the new Martin strings (but I may be advising people to stay away from Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze).
Old 10-11-2023, 12:54 PM

Tried them when they were first released and I hated them. There must be a reason why phosphorous bronze and 80/20 bronze have maintained for so many years. Why would Martin offer a money back guarantee? I don't think it's because that set is flying off the shelves. I used to buy some of their offerings years ago. Somewhere along the way, I think they got lost and changed things for the worse. Prime example for me are the Titanium strings. Monel may be good for some instruments. Kevlar, at least for me, along with EB Aluminum Bronze were interesting failures.

Last edited by throbert; 12-15-2023 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

After reading about them here and on other threads/forums, I decided to give them a try. Bought two sets and tried them on both my 000-28CAA and my CEO-7. And while they're different than Monels, my reaction to them was quite similar to my reaction to Monels. I liked them OK on the 000-28CAA, but not as much as the PBs I'd been playing on them for the months since I bought the guitar. But I flat out love them on the CEO-7. I've had the same reaction to Monels at various points - like them on rosewood but not as much as PBs, but love them on Mahogany.

Since I got my 000-28CAA, I've been so blown away by it that it's become my #1 by some distance. With Monels, my CEO-7 suddenly (in comparison) sounded so dead I just wasn't playing it much anymore, or liking it as much when I did. So get it back to a competitive point, I put PBs on it and it woke it up a good bit, but it lost some of what's distinctive about mahogany. Still, with PBs on the 000-28 and Monels on the CEO-7, I just wasn't reaching for the CEO-7 and I was moreso with the PBs on the CEO-7. With these Kovar strings, the CEO-7 somehow has more of that mahogany thing going on that it does with Monels, but it's wide awake, unlike the way I've felt about it with Monels lately. I'll give them a bit more time on both, but I strongly suspect these are gonna come off of my 000-28CAA relatively soon, in favor of the PBs I've been using on it. But I have a feeling these are gonna be my new go-to strings on my CEO-7. There's just nothing about how they sound on that guitar that makes me want to replace them.

These are relatively short term reactions, but they're pretty strong ones. I'll update if any of this changes...

-Ray
Old 10-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Are they coated?
Old 10-25-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Are they coated?
They are not.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobtay View Post
Sigh… has anyone tried these against Santa Cruz strings? Care to compare? I’m now interested and also a sucker for good marketing. The Santa Cruz parabolic stuff replaced all other strings for me, but maybe I should give these a try.
I just bent a set onto my SCGC OM replacing the SC parabolics that have been my go-to string on that axe (didn't like parabolics so much on my OM-28, and which is now wearing D'A XT 80-20s).

Initial thoughts are based on 20 minutes of playing late last night, and I liked the sound well, however I'd never judge a new set on less than a week trial. I'll be noting back to this thread.

At first blush, definitely different than parabolics my first impression was less chimey in the midrange, but it's definitely too soon to say more.

Last edited by Sadie-f; 12-16-2023 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 12-15-2023, 11:21 AM

I've had a set of the luxe kovar strings on my OM-18 for about a month now. They definitely remind me of monels more than anything else. I can't say I hate them, but I definitely don't love them either. Suffice it to say that I'll be going back to PBs on this particular guitar, but I'm not going to change them until I've gotten a few more miles out of them and they start to show some wear.
Martin OM-18 adi/sinker

couple of electrics, couple of ukes, etc.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopid View Post
They definitely remind me of monels more than anything else.
Same here. Like a more zingy version of Monels. I like them but not the price.

The SP core thing is very comfortable for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion