The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-14-2024, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Kacey Musgraves new album

Ive been a fan of hers since her “pre-fame” American Songwriter lay out. But her current album just isnt doing anything for me. Sounds cookie-cutter songwriting, and IMO, her voice does not need the excessive processing they gave it.

Another of my favorite contemporary artists, Jason Isbell seems to have rushed out his latest also. Of course, thats just my highly subjective, personal opinion. But his earlier work was truly amazing, earning him the “this generation’s Dylan” recognition.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-14-2024, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

It's funny, a friend tried to get me into Kacey Musgraves a few albums ago and I thought she was OK, but nothing special. Intervening albums about the same. But the new one has grabbed me and won't let go. I love it and think the songwriting is anything but cookie cutter. I agree with the processing on her voice, but her voice is kind of etherial sounding anyway and this just accentuates it, so I don't hate it, but I think it would be as good or better without that.

I like Jason Isbell's new album too, though, so what do I know?!?!

-Ray
Old 04-14-2024, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Funny this was brought up. I was listening to the coffeehouse station on Sirius the other day and a song came on.

It was a Three Little Birds cover by Kacey.

The first time or two I heard it I gave a it a chance even though I wasnt feeling it. By the third I've been changing the station. The vibe is just wrong to me.

I've liked some of her other stuff and haven't heard the rest of the album to but that cover is a hard pass for me.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Agreed. I LOVED Golden Hour, havent cared too much for anything I've heard so far from the latest.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Gave "Deeper Well" and "Same Trailer Different Park" a listen today, and I really like em both. Any suggestions for another one of her records?

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-18-2024, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It's funny, a friend tried to get me into Kacey Musgraves a few albums ago and I thought she was OK, but nothing special. Intervening albums about the same. But the new one has grabbed me and won't let go. I love it and think the songwriting is anything but cookie cutter. I agree with the processing on her voice, but her voice is kind of etherial sounding anyway and this just accentuates it, so I don't hate it, but I think it would be as good or better without that.

I like Jason Isbell's new album too, though, so what do I know?!?!

-Ray
Haha-I guess we probably shouldnt DJ at each other's party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Gave "Deeper Well" and "Same Trailer Different Park" a listen today, and I really like em both. Any suggestions for another one of her records?
She only has 4 out, so should be easy to find. I will continue to buy and listen to both her, and Isbell, as I think their basic talent is tops in the biz.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN