The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2022, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I've gigged with a Schertler Unico now for 15 years. Nothing else I use has been as dependable or as flexible. And it sounds fantastic.
Schertler David is excellent too. Very small, compact, and light. Great sound.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I love my Genz-Benz, but the new DaCapo 75 by Udo edges it out. Much lighter, too.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-10-2022, 05:38 AM

Not a mention of the Mesa Rosette?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-10-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post
My Mesa Rosette compares most favorably with that list.
Whoops.

Nevermind.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-10-2022, 11:07 AM

I narrowed it down to either a Schertler in my size of choice, the new Udo Da Capo 75, a Henriksen Bud, or maybe the Genz acoustic array pro.

It’s just so hard to find any reviews/comparisons A/Bing all those 4 simultaneously and their strengths against each other. What would you guys pick for best instrumental tone using specifically a semi chambered electric with passive piezo pickups!?

Last edited by jpino; 07-10-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
I narrowed it down to either a Schertler in my size of choice, the new Udo Da Capo 75, a Henriksen Bud, or maybe the Genz acoustic array pro.

It’s just so hard to find any reviews/comparisons A/Bing all those 4 simultaneously and their strengths against each other. What would you guys pick for best instrumental tone using specifically a semi chambered electric with passive piezo pickups!?
Well I have shot out the Schertler Jam 200 directly against the Genz Acoustic Array owning both and using both over a few month period. I sold the Genzler as I didn't think it was near the amp the Schertler. I still think the Genzler amp was a decent amp, I just prefered the more consistent good tone I was getting from the Schertler. And I've said this many times before, the vocal tone of the Schertler was great.

I haven't used the Udo, but I have used the AERs and I still prefer the Schertler.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Well I have shot out the Schertler Jam 200 directly against the Genz Acoustic Array owning both and using both over a few month period. I sold the Genzler as I didn't think it was near the amp the Schertler. I still think the Genzler amp was a decent amp, I just prefered the more consistent good tone I was getting from the Schertler. And I've said this many times before, the vocal tone of the Schertler was great.

I haven't used the Udo, but I have used the AERs and I still prefer the Schertler.
Thank you! That’s a couple times now I’ve heard the genz lost to a slight edge of the others so I think that’s one more I can rule out! Much appreciated
Old 07-11-2022, 07:28 AM

I recently acquired a new Schertler jam 200. I don't have any experience with other amps, except an older Fishman mini I also bought recently. I can say that the vocals on the jam 200 are excellent. Also, the jam 200 has three channels. This may not be a concern for you, but it is nice to have for me as I use guitar, vocal and instrument mic for banjo and/or dobro. To my ears the sound with this amp is wonderful.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:55 AM

I have a Schertler Roy and it is outstanding. The only problem is that it’s big and 49 pounds. It sounds wonderful though, on both guitar and vocals. It’s just too big most of the time.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:47 AM

For acoustic guitar, I have amps in three sizes: (big) Schertler Roy, (medium) Elite Acoustics D6-58, (small) Yamaha THR30iiA.

Of those, the one that is getting the most use lately is the THR30iiA. I just used it yesterday on a paid gig. It is not enough to cover an audience, but it is great for augmenting what I hear. I plug in the Line6 wireless transmitter to my guitar, set it on the stage pointing at myself, then plug the line out to the PA. No power cables since the THR is battery powered. A couple of second setup. Wonderful sound. I can always hear myself even if the sound guy messes up the monitors. This is my go to setup when I am not using my own PA.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
For acoustic guitar, I have amps in three sizes: (big) Schertler Roy, (medium) Elite Acoustics D6-58, (small) Yamaha THR30iiA.

Of those, the one that is getting the most use lately is the THR30iiA. I just used it yesterday on a paid gig. It is not enough to cover an audience, but it is great for augmenting what I hear. I plug in the Line6 wireless transmitter to my guitar, set it on the stage pointing at myself, then plug the line out to the PA. No power cables since the THR is battery powered. A couple of second setup. Wonderful sound. I can always hear myself even if the sound guy messes up the monitors. This is my go to setup when I am not using my own PA.
Always value your knowledge on the subject Kingston.

I think you’re speaking my language. Need different gear for different occasions. I will probably settle like you on a small battery powered amp for portable busking/the most intimate of gigs, get an array style main like the turbosound ip300 for most gigs, and just get a really nice boutique level amp discussed in these threads (leaning towards Schertler) for my home studio. I know the elite acoustics could handle multiple of these but again I want ultra portability for busking, line array for gigs, and say a Schertler for the best of the best of at home tone. A pricey path to head down but it’s my only passion. I can incrementally acquire gear by need. Cheers!
Old 07-12-2022, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

This has become our process as well - three systems that cover our needs best and can also work together if need be.

For the largest gigs where we need the most volume and coverage we use the excellent Evolve 30M. It's just the right combination of size, portability, and excellent sound dispersion for larger areas. The 50M was just a bit larger than I was comfortable lugging around (and a lot more expensive) and quite frankly more power than we will likely every need.

Next up is the EAE D6-58 which is a power-house little mini-PA amp with a ton of features, power and inputs that can also run on battery power. This middle-of-the-road option can cover a whole lot of ground and be used for just about any gig we do with the one downside being a lack of dispersion with sound levels that fall off very quickly outside the narrow cone.

Last, but not least, is the simple Bose S1 Pro. It is very limited in inputs and EQ options but you just can't beat the size and portability and when we need to just have something for one guitar and one mic with low to moderate amounts of volume, it's the go-to amp. Preamp the signal in front of it and it gets much louder. Add a second one and a small mixer and it can cover a whole lot more.

We have two Bose S1's, plus the wonderful EAE StompMix X6 mixer so that combo can be used if we need more power and dispersion but now that we have th EV30M that is our go-to for that unless we run into a place we're playing that has no power, which we have yet to encounter anyway.

Regardless, this selection of gear gives us a nearly endless combination that covers everything and anything we're likely to ever encounter!
Old 07-12-2022, 10:48 AM

I've had my Udo Roesner Da Capo 75 for a month, and I genuinely love how it brings out the best in my Furch Red Deluxe with L.R. Baggs PU. When you get to know it, it lets you shape the tone to your liking. I'm not using it for vocals and can't say how it delivers in this area.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnPoulsen View Post
I've had my Udo Roesner Da Capo 75 for a month, and I genuinely love how it brings out the best in my Furch Red Deluxe with L.R. Baggs PU. When you get to know it, it lets you shape the tone to your liking. I'm not using it for vocals and can't say how it delivers in this area.

When I auditioned the similar AER Compact 60, I thought it sounded wonderful on guitar. It sounded decent on vocals aside from the sibilant frequencies: no S and T crispness. The vocals sound better on systems with a proper tweeter. The dual cones do sound really nice on guitar though.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
When I auditioned the similar AER Compact 60, I thought it sounded wonderful on guitar. It sounded decent on vocals aside from the sibilant frequencies: no S and T crispness. The vocals sound better on systems with a proper tweeter. The dual cones do sound really nice on guitar though.
This is EXACTLY how I feel about all the AER amps. They sound GREAT on guitar, and that's why I think you see so many solo guitarists using them. But Schertler has somehow managed to squeeze good vocal sounds out of their amps and that's why I prefer them. And their guitar sounds are pretty good too. I have two versions of the L1 series Bose systems (L1 model 1s and Pro16) and I'm always amazed after using one of those, which sound pretty good and then coming back to the Jam 200 or the 400, how much I prefer the guitar sound of the Schertlers. And my Schertlers got even better sounding when I replaced the SICA made 8" drivers to drop-in PRV drivers (after the break-in anyway).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification