The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Well this is from the post I was referring to from Caleb (works for Baggs):

"I like to run the Session's gain so that it stays green most of the time and peaks in the yellow when playing hard. It doesn't sound as edgy or aggressive, which I like. It also allows me to push the Saturation harder before it sounds too "in your face."

Personally, when I used the Session DI, I would follow the manual and basically set the gain to taste. With the HFN, it was somewhere at halfway but I would have to play really hard to even touch yellow. I followed Caleb's advice, and set the gain to where the green light would come on as soon as I even strummed a chord. Since the HFN is passive, the gain had to be set very high to get these results but then I just tweak the output volume to taste. I have to agree with his findings. At this gain level, I find the Saturation interacts a bit better and I can turn it up more than I normally would.
Thanks for the clarification. If the Session DI's 26db of gain can barely get a passive crystal piezo SBT into the yellow zone, I'm thinking that it might not even be functional with a passive film piezo SBT like David Enke makes. That will be an important consideration for some. A passive film piezo SBT might not even get into the green zone with the gain knob maxed out.

Apart from that, I was interested to know if you agreed with the manual or Caleb on where the most effective gain setting is. Score one for Caleb.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:50 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but could this pickup system be removed from a guitar easily and without harm to the guitar?
Old 04-27-2022, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but could this pickup system be removed from a guitar easily and without harm to the guitar?
Yes, it can be removed but you'd have to make a new saddle or shim the existing one to maintain action height.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification