The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2017, 05:41 AM

Default Collings and K&K..???

Lately I'm tired of not being able to play the Collings that I really love...out when I do shows. For some reason I've been reluctant to put pick ups in them. I know they are not gonna appreciate like a pre war D-28..so..I've been thinking to just do it. I'd go with a K&K just because I don't want to install anything actually under the saddle...these 3 guitars sound great...and I don't want to alter that in anyway. So, that being said...does anyone here have a K&K mini in their Collings rosewood dred, or a Collings om...and if so...does it sound great amplified. I've used K&K in the past and to my ear it's hit or miss depending on the guitar if it sounds great or not. I have a LR BAggs Anthem in my Collings CJ...love the amplified sound...but really hate to put that element thing between the wood and saddle of these guitars....Thanks for any of your thoughts on this...
Old 02-03-2017, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Lately I'm tired of not being able to play the Collings that I really love...out when I do shows. For some reason I've been reluctant to put pick ups in them. I know they are not gonna appreciate like a pre war D-28..so..I've been thinking to just do it. I'd go with a K&K just because I don't want to install anything actually under the saddle...these 3 guitars sound great...and I don't want to alter that in anyway. So, that being said...does anyone here have a K&K mini in their Collings rosewood dred, or a Collings om...and if so...does it sound great amplified. I've used K&K in the past and to my ear it's hit or miss depending on the guitar if it sounds great or not. I have a LR BAggs Anthem in my Collings CJ...love the amplified sound...but really hate to put that element thing between the wood and saddle of these guitars....Thanks for any of your thoughts on this...
Have you considered a Trance Audio Amulet system? Trance Audio
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

The answer to the OP#'s question is Yes. I have K&K minis in one Collings DS1 (came already fitted, plus the mic and the pre-amp thingy.

I recently decided to put another in my oldest DS2h (EIR) and the 12 string version in my Martin D12-20.

Apart from the endpins there is no evidence of electrickery.

So far I've only used the DS1 "in anger" as I usually prefer a condenser mic for both guitar and vocals. It sounded about as "original" as I have ever heard a bug sound.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 AM

I had one in the OM2 I sold recently and it was great. There's nothing different from a Collings, Martin, Gibson, Eastman... that would change the way the K&K works. I believe you would be very pleased with the sound.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 AM

That's a tough one and I can understand your dilemma. My initial thought is if you like the sound of the Anthem why reinvent the wheel? Personally speaking I've had K&K's in 3 guitars and never did warm up to them.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Additionally, if you don't want to install a pick up, then simply use a sound-hole pickup and don't worry about it.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Default K&K in a Collings

I have a K&K mini in my Collings D2H. At first I thought it sounded a little too electric for my taste but the more I play it I'm warming up to it. A K&K preamp helps plus you can go directly into a PA with an XLR.

I put a Trance Amulet in my Huss and Dalton. I like it a lot!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 02-04-2017, 01:44 AM

I've never used the trance amulet. Looks like a dual piezo and preamp combination. Some people never take to piezo systems even when done right. The biggest reason people dislike piezos is because they plug them straight in to a PA input designed for a low impedance input.

This is frequently discussed and remains misunderstood by many. All piezos have a high impedance (1 megohm or greater). To get a good sound you need to match the impedance to your input. There are several ways to do this. Most acoustic amplifiers and some mixers have high impedance input channels (HIGH Z). Lacking that you can use an active or passive DI. Add some signal boost and EQ and your DI becomes a preamp. I've used several preamps over the years, these three all work well with piezo's:

Behringer ADI21
K&K Pure
Redeye Fireeye
Old 02-06-2017, 11:42 AM

I have a Collings CW with a K&K mini installed and play out often. Absolutely love the sound of the K&K mini. The pickup though is half of the battle, the other half is the preamp. I've had Baggs, Fishman and Radial DI boxes and they all sound good, but I recently discovered the Rupert Neve Designs "RNDI" DI box which to my ear and the other musicians I hang out with is cut above the others - clean, warm, and with a beautiful depth to it. I've experimented with other guitars, pickups and preamps and I always go back to using this rig playing out. Use that Collings!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification