The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2022, 01:33 PM

Default Active monitor + passive speaker?

Hi all,

I want to set up a "small venue" PA system that I can use while gigging acoustic in a small clubs. I have Yamaha MG10XU passive mixer, and one active monitor 12" which is "the box MA120 MKII" with 120 W RMS. On that monitor, there's output to connect one passive speaker, so I thought about getting one passive speaker, and conclude the system with two speakers (1 monitor acting as a speaker + 1 passive speaker).

Is there any drawback to this idea? I haven't done this type of experimenting so far, so my main concerns are:

- can I use this monitor at all as part of a PA?
- will one passive speaker with 300w sound good connected to this active monitor?

Thank you!
Old 05-01-2022, 04:14 PM

There is often a lot of gentle deception involved in sales-speak, particularly in the numbers around amplification. In this case (happy to be corrected) I'm a little suspicious about the text used to describe this unit, which suggests 120w into a 4ohm load. This might mean 120w once you've actually connected a second speaker. This might suggest that the monitor on it's own is pumping out considerably less.

At the end of the day these numbers are of limited use, we should be more interested in SPL, which is actual sound (level - no reference to audio quality). Even when you know these numbers they might not really I form the situation. It might produce 120db of sound above 250Hz, which is no use to anyone in a medium sized room except for speeches and mandolin playing falsettos.

Best approach:

How big is your space?
What's your space made of?
How many people?
Are they noisey or attentive?
What kind of music are you playing?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification