The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Default Slate ML-2 Digital Microphone

Hey all,

The Slate ML-2 microphone, before it was released, really grabbed my attention. Due to supply and demand I could never get my hands on one to try here in Canada. I kinda gave up on it and more less forgot about it until I seen it mentioned recently in another thread. I just bought one (new) off ebay and anxiously await its arrival. I plan on using it with Tonedexter, recording acoustic guitar and micing amps, both acoustic and electric. I'm also curious how it will be with vocals, since it has a flat frequency response. Any thoughts, opinions and experiences with this mic greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM

I received this mic yesterday but only got around an hour or so to play around with it but I thought I would share my thoughts so far. My impression so far is very high. I plugged it into my Fishman amp and mic'd up an acoustic guitar and started playing away. The guitar sounded crisp and clean with the flat frequency response of the mic. I'm hoping to do some wavemaps with Tonedexter today using it.

I couldn't resist trying it with vocals. I normally use the old faithful Shure SM58 for live vocals but I must say this sounded amazing (not that I'm an amazing singer). My voice sounded really clean with it. Definitely need a pop filter to use it with vocals compared to the Shure but I bet it would be nice to use it for recording as it would be easier to EQ. So far I'm really happy and would have to say that this is a pretty diverse mic to own. I never even touched the modelling yet.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I received this mic yesterday but only got around an hour or so to play around with it but I thought I would share my thoughts so far. My impression so far is very high. I plugged it into my Fishman amp and mic'd up an acoustic guitar and started playing away. The guitar sounded crisp and clean with the flat frequency response of the mic. I'm hoping to do some wavemaps with Tonedexter today using it.

I couldn't resist trying it with vocals. I normally use the old faithful Shure SM58 for live vocals but I must say this sounded amazing (not that I'm an amazing singer). My voice sounded really clean with it. Definitely need a pop filter to use it with vocals compared to the Shure but I bet it would be nice to use it for recording as it would be easier to EQ. So far I'm really happy and would have to say that this is a pretty diverse mic to own. I never even touched the modelling yet.
You probably know this already, but you can use the bass roll-off switch for miking your voice or an instrument very close in a noisy live setting. In any event, I'm glad to hear that its meeting expectations so far. I definitely noticed an improvement in my own WaveMaps when training with an ML-2.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
You probably know this already, but you can use the bass roll-off switch for miking your voice or an instrument very close in a noisy live setting. In any event, I'm glad to hear that its meeting expectations so far. I definitely noticed an improvement in my own WaveMaps when training with an ML-2.
Yes I am aware of the switch, which only adds to the diversity of the mic. So far all my playing around was with the switch in the normal position. I must say, at least so far, this mic is one helluva value. I'll keep updating as I try more things with it.

If all goes well in the busy family life I will get to try it with Tonedexter tonight, and possibly the modelling software. I remember James May saying this was one of the better mics to use with Tonedexter due to its flat frequency response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification