The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2022, 07:51 AM

Default Video about GD Alix with K+K

http://youtu.be/GuFJuWYx3dc
Old 08-15-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I have a Radial PZ-Pre. Mine is the original version. You can select the boost function, or the efx loops, but you can't use both simultaneously. Since I have a reverb pedal in my efx loop, I use a separate boost pedal in the loop as well. The newer version doesn't have this limitation
Old 08-16-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalooba View Post
Varmonter, I also have an Alix and I agree, it is state of the art. The only problem I have with it is the Notch filter. My D28 sometimes gets too boomy around 110 to 250 hz and when I engage the notch filter, I feel it isn't very precise and too much of the bottom end drops out. Maybe I'm missing something. I usually just use the HPF. Other than that it is a great piece of equipment
I usually set mine to the notch filter...than turn the low up somemore. Ymmv
That 180-220hz is problematic..I inotch that and the low knob up a bit brings some of the sub 180 out..its a delicate balance..
Old 08-18-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I usually set mine to the notch filter...than turn the low up somemore. Ymmv
That 180-220hz is problematic..I inotch that and the low knob up a bit brings some of the sub 180 out..its a delicate balance..
thanks for the info
Old 10-28-2023, 05:26 PM

I don't use a pre-amp as I apply EQ, levels, etc. on my mixer so I don't need the Bix for functionality. My question is does running your acoustic thorough the Bix just sound better (fuller/warmer?) Does it have some secret sauce?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
If your pickup is one that requires a lower input impedance (aka K&K),
don't fret, your Bix has you covered. By wiring your input cable with a TRS
connector and shorting the tip and ring (see diagram p 6) the instrument
input impedance becomes 1M Ohm).

I am not sure what all that means, but since you mentioned K&K, I thought
I would point it out to you. It was kind of a turn off/red flag to me using the Bix
with a number of different pickups.

Good luck.
The Bix has a 10 Mohms input impedance. It should sound more bass heavy (especially in the sub-bass frequency domain) than a regular 1 Mohms input impedance preamp.

What Grace design lets you do is add a 1 MOhm input resistor in parallel to the 10 Mohms that effectively turns the input impedance to 10 Mohms.

Resistance is the difficulty for the current to flow. Think of it as a road. If the current has the choice between 10 Mohms = going through the Himalaya and 1 Mohms = highway through florida... Guess what the current will choose?

So adding a lower resistor parallel to a much higher one is equivalent to replace the big one to the lower one.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-30-2023, 10:21 AM

I bought a Roxi recently, but I haven't had a chance to actually plug it in yet. I bought it primarily to use in a vocal chain, so it's a different use case than yours. I bought a Felix for my guitars, but again, haven't had time to plug it in yet. The Felix has more of the features I wanted for guitar.

Generally speaking, Grace Design's philosophy with their preamps is clean and clear, not colored. If you're looking for an artificially hyped sound, Grace probably isn't the answer. Although, you can easily add some color in the effects loop, which is what I plan to do once I get all my stuff hooked up.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:51 PM

I've been using a BIX for a few years now. Nothing fancy or over-complicated, maybe even a little light in features for some but, at least as far as I'm concerned, it does a great job.
Custom-made Slothead 000-28
Tele
Strat

My music here: https://open.spotify.com/album/6t6Np...QpyroLrwiVSclQ
And here: https://borrowedbooks.bandcamp.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification