The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-12-2022, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Yes Flea has an absolute excellent reputation. He has praised Flea on so many occasions himself.

I was in no way suggesting you should do the same. The Thought never occurred to me.

I just found this to be another valid testament to the quality of Beesneez. That he thought their capsules were worthy of such an experiment. That was what impressed me.

I am one step closer to ordering one myself. Now all I have to do is decide which one.
Ahh... I misunderstood. Beesneez has had a great reputation for a long time. Whether they make a quality microphone was never a question in my run-up to purchasing their 67. I'm very curious to put it up against my buddy's IO Audio 67 insert which he uses inside his 87ai. I played around with that mic for a couple of hours and I really loved how it sounded on my voice. It wouldn't be my first choice for most of my songs but I think it would be the better choice for some. I also think it would be great for bg vocals. I'm really looking forward to hearing how the BU67 stands up against that mic.

We'll probably shoot them out at his place. He has a bigger space and he recently treated it with a whole lot of GIK product. He also bought a Dangerfox desk that I'm eager to see.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-12-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm the two problems I have with that video are

#1 it is a different performance (take) for each mic (obviously with 11 mics it is not possible to do a single take But non the less it introduces the element of the possibility for slight differences in each take
#2 and perhaps this is just my personal (bee in my bonnet)and one I keep commenting about ad nauseam = I prefer the unfortunately rare comparison video where the different mic takes are edited into short same phrase side by segments as opposed to finishing say an entire verse for each mic .. But that is just me , and perhaps it's just bad short term memory but, because of that ,,that I did not find that video to be all that informative..........

#1 doesn't bother me, as long as it's the same voice. I'm looking to hear the timbre of the mic & how it responds to the source. as long as the takes are similar. My problem with the single performance multiple mic setup is that only 1 mic can be in the ideal position (or sometimes none of them are)...and I'd much rather have each mic set to shine so I can hear what they're really capable of.

#2 I agree with, but I just jump between the same part on different mics (making a note of the timecode). I tend to try to find a few different things to compare: a soft section, a loud section, a section that covers a lot of range (in note/frequency spectrum). From that I can get a sense of what the mic is doing.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 08-13-2022, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
#1 doesn't bother me, as long as it's the same voice. I'm looking to hear the timbre of the mic & how it responds to the source. as long as the takes are similar. My problem with the single performance multiple mic setup is that only 1 mic can be in the ideal position (or sometimes none of them are)...and I'd much rather have each mic set to shine so I can hear what they're really capable of.
Interesting and I agree that especially with more than two mic's "the sweetspot" becomes problematic I guess my listening and retention are not refined enough to confidently distinguish between different takes

Quote:
#2 I agree with, but I just jump between the same part on different mics (making a note of the timecode). I tend to try to find a few different things to compare: a soft section, a loud section, a section that covers a lot of range (in note/frequency spectrum). From that I can get a sense of what the mic is doing.
Yes I do that also but it just strikes me that with the video editing tools readily available I just wish the editors would take time to create short comparative sections ... Or maybe I'm just yelling GET OFF my lawn

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-13-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Or maybe I'm just yelling GET OFF my lawn
I feel that way a lot these days [emoji1787]

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 08-13-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just wish the editors would take time to create short comparative sections
That's one of my peeves about a lot of shootout videos. What works best for me is to hear a short clip, then the same short clip with the other mic, then keep bouncing back and forth like that. The other thing that works for me (and this might work better), is to just make the files available so I can open them in separate windows and bounce back and forth myself. Dropbox works well for the latter because the bar graph that they use for a visual lets you fairly easily find the same place from track to track.

YouTube
Old 08-19-2022, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

My Beesneez BU67 has arrived. It's a nice looking microphone and feels very well built. To get to the internal switches, you have to unscrew the bottom piece and lift the innards out from the head basket. The switches are all easily accessible and the machine work is excellent as the bottom piece screws on and off very smoothly.

It's a bit smaller than an actual U67, not by a whole lot but if you're familiar with U67s or U87s, you'd notice the difference. The BU67 is 7.5 inches long while the U67 reissue and the U87ai are 7.87 inches long. It's just a 0.37 difference and doesn't bother me but I thought it should be mentioned.

The wooden box is very nicely made and lined with a velour type fabric so no foam is contacting the head basket (I like that).

The shock mount typical for this kind of mic; the mic screws into the base which is suspended by the bands. I like the four point knob which allows a bit more leverage for tightening (as opposed to some shock mounts that only give you a tab or ring smaller than a nickel).

I'll have to pick up some kind of case for this. I have few options in mind. I need to draw out the interior measurements of each and see which will work.

No sound samples yet but I'll get together with my buddy, Vin, at his studio where we'll shoot this mic out against some others. I'll have some vocals to post before too long.

YouTube
Old 08-19-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My Beesneez BU67 has arrived. It's a nice looking microphone and feels very well built. To get to the internal switches, you have to unscrew the bottom piece and lift the innards out from the head basket. The switches are all easily accessible and the machine work is excellent as the bottom piece screws on and off very smoothly.

It's a bit smaller than an actual U67, not by a whole lot but if you're familiar with U67s or U87s, you'd notice the difference. The BU67 is 7.5 inches long while the U67 reissue and the U87ai are 7.87 inches long. It's just a 0.37 difference and doesn't bother me but I thought it should be mentioned.

The wooden box is very nicely made and lined with a velour type fabric so no foam is contacting the head basket (I like that).

The shock mount typical for this kind of mic; the mic screws into the base which is suspended by the bands. I like the four point knob which allows a bit more leverage for tightening (as opposed to some shock mounts that only give you a tab or ring smaller than a nickel).

I'll have to pick up some kind of case for this. I have few options in mind. I need to draw out the interior measurements of each and see which will work.

No sound samples yet but I'll get together with my buddy, Vin, at his studio where we'll shoot this mic out against some others. I'll have some vocals to post before too long.

This is practically an irresistible offer.

+ Variable pattern control...
+ Internal switching that turns this into a 269...(which some have compared the 269 favorably to the 251 sound)
+ Smaller....is actually a plus for me. A little bit easier to get into some spaces for acoustic guitar.

One note to consider when picking out a case. Many types of case foam or Windscreen foams, can break down and clog the head grill. This actually happened to me with the stock Neumann windscreen of my old U87. It is something that you can not see. Little particles of foam partially blocking the head grill. It can drastically effect the level coming into the mic.

Schoeps ships their mics with a special hard foam. I learned my lesson and will never use a those old fashion soft cell foam windscreens. Many of the hard Camera cases still use that kind of soft foam. It breaks down quickly.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
One note to consider when picking out a case. Many types of case foam or Windscreen foams, can break down and clog the head grill.
I'd keep the mic in its wooden box in the case.

YouTube
Old 08-19-2022, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd keep the mic in its wooden box in the case.
Thats a nice looking package can't wait to hear you thoughts ..

Yes that's the way my ADK is ,, a wooden box inside an outer larger case
The Brauner is inside a single aluminum case

I can highly recommend Pelican cases they are bomb proof and many come packed full with foam that can be custom carved out to your specific needs. They are not cheap but not overly expensive for the quality .

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/shop/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-19-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:17 AM

I prefer Nanuk cases to the Pelicans. I find them to be better made (if you can believe it), though they are slightly more expensive.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 08-20-2022, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I prefer Nanuk cases to the Pelicans. I find them to be better made (if you can believe it), though they are slightly more expensive.
I was not aware of them I'll have to check them out
Actually the only Pelican case I have is for my 454 Casull to take to Kodiak fly fishing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 08-20-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I don't really need anything as upscale as a Pelican or Nanuk. The case is really just to keep all the components in one place so they don't get separated from each other.

Many years ago, I bought a Hardigg case, very good quality and I remember it was pretty reasonably priced. I still have it and am currently using it for my Blue Dragonfly (there's room for another mic in there should the need arise). I thought that might be a good option but it appears they've been acquired by Pelican since then and the prices are Pelican-ish.

I found what might be a good much less expensive alternative. The Apache 4800 appears to be just the right size to house the BU67, the PSU, the shock mount, and the cable. Not much room to spare but I laid out the pieces on a piece of cardboard and they fit fine within the inside dimensions. Amazon sells them for $99 but Harbor Freight has them for $65 and it's in stock at the one near me. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and see what I think of it.

YouTube
Old 08-20-2022, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't really need anything as upscale as a Pelican or Nanuk. The case is really just to keep all the components in one place so they don't get separated from each other.

Many years ago, I bought a Hardigg case, very good quality and I remember it was pretty reasonably priced. I still have it and am currently using it for my Blue Dragonfly (there's room for another mic in there should the need arise). I thought that might be a good option but it appears they've been acquired by Pelican since then and the prices are Pelican-ish.

I found what might be a good much less expensive alternative. The Apache 4800 appears to be just the right size to house the BU67, the PSU, the shock mount, and the cable. Not much room to spare but I laid out the pieces on a piece of cardboard and they fit fine within the inside dimensions. Amazon sells them for $99 but Harbor Freight has them for $65 and it's in stock at the one near me. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and see what I think of it.
That looks like a great case It will will be a bit tight
This one also looks adequate to the task an is a bit bigger
https://www.amazon.com/AxiGear-Water...07Y9THRGG&th=1

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 08-20-2022, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That looks like a great case It will will be a bit tight
This one also looks adequate to the task an is a bit bigger
https://www.amazon.com/AxiGear-Water...07Y9THRGG&th=1
The interior measurements of the one you linked show things would be even tighter.
Apache 4800 - 17-7/8 in. x 12-7/8 in. x 6-1/4 in.
AxiGear - 17 x 11.4 x 7.3in

It would give me a little extra height which I don't think I need but I don't think I could make that one work well given the shorter sides all around.

If I don't like the Apache when I see it, the other option I found was this MEIJIA case. That gives interior dimensions of 18.06" x 12.89" x 6.72"
It's slightly bigger than the Apache. If it turns out I'm not judging the needed height well (and that is all about the size of the shock mount), the extra half inch in this case might be what I need.

YouTube
Old 08-20-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The interior measurements of the one you linked show things would be even tighter.
Apache 4800 - 17-7/8 in. x 12-7/8 in. x 6-1/4 in.
AxiGear - 17 x 11.4 x 7.3in

It would give me a little extra height which I don't think I need but I don't think I could make that one work well given the shorter sides all around.

If I don't like the Apache when I see it, the other option I found was this MEIJIA case. That gives interior dimensions of 18.06" x 12.89" x 6.72"
It's slightly bigger than the Apache. If it turns out I'm not judging the needed height well (and that is all about the size of the shock mount), the extra half inch in this case might be what I need.
Oops yes I read the bold dimensions which are exterior my bad..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD