The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2016, 04:17 PM

I've been using a Myers feather (I think it's the feather) with very good results on a few instruments. As it is a small low voltage condenser, the obvious complications involving placement, posture, etc. still exist, but are totally worth it for what you get IMHO. There is certainly a learning curve and experimental period all users will go through, and I'm still messing around with mine some. I must say I'm very happy with it all around.

I don't use the suction cup much, there are two other clips I use that came with. I think Gregg may have enhanced the regular package with these. One is like an alligator-style clip with a wire expansion hoop that I find is best for the banjo as it securely clips to one of the side braces. The other has two pads with cork pieces glued on that work well on f holes or other sound ports.

For the suction cup, I keep a few wet-naps in the case to clean it off as the spit and polish method isn't as sterile, and kind of gross when it's fallen on the floor. I don't know how the floor is in most venues you play in, but I haven't seen one I'd want to lick. I don't support the pre-amp with the suction cup, only the mic via the expansion ring.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the Myers (and no, I am not a relative of the manufacturer though we have the same last name).

I think maybe a bigger suction cup would be an improvement, or at least make me feel a bit more secure using it. I don't miss having EQ on the preamp as this can be done on whatever you are plugging it into.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:45 AM

do you use the myers on a standard acoustic guitar?

do you use a 1/4" to xlr adapter like gregg often suggests?

do you use any type of pre-amp, or what is your typical signal chain?

i will certainly not argue that the mic sounds bad, i think it sounds really great. about as great as playing in front of any decent condenser. much better than the average UST.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:56 AM

Resurrecting this thread as I have just purchase a feather myself. I have very little technical knowledge of amps/preamps etc but I wanted something simple to plug into my Fishman Loudbox mini, something that I could also use on my reso/lap/archtop/flatop without needing to buy 4 different sets of pickups! I also like to capture the pure acoustic sound as much a possible.

Early days yet but so far, I'm really liking the sound I'm getting but like others here aren't getting much levels. I have tried putting it directly in the sound hole on the archtop and reso, got much more volume but the sound was very boomy and too far removed from the pure sound I get when the mic is just above the grill (on the reso) or behind the bridge (on the archtop). I'm thinking of maybe enlarging one of the holes on the reso grill plate and trying it closer to the actual cone but a little wary of doing that just yet! I've also got a 1/4"/XLR adapter on the way so I'll going to try that too.

A question for those more knowledgeable - if I ran it into a preamp (say a Platinum Pro) would this give me more levels to the amp, or is the preamp more for controlled EQ (not considering the DI/PA route at this stage - some of the open mics I've done are very lo-fi!). I am mainly intending to use if for home recording and open mics and things of that ilk, I wont be playing in a full band.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 AM

I have tried a lot of pickups with mics involved, but not this one. A good preamp/DI will help with the boom thing that's going on. There are quite a few out there. The Baggs Venue and Fishman Platinum Pro are two common ones. If I were in the market for one, I would look into the Grace Alix. It is more expensive but it is supposed to be more audiophile. I used a DPA 4099 once. I found that the placement was key but still didn't get much gain before feedback. Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-05-2016, 05:45 PM

I don't play out much, but thought I'd update what I've found so far, with my limited "soundguy" skills, for anyone researching this pickup. Sound is great,very faithful to the original, when place near the soundboard, but very low levels, almost unusable live. Volume is usable when "in" the soundhole but very boomy. Dialed out all the bass and with a decent EQ could probably get a good sound. I don't have an EQ pedal but thanks Vancebo, I suspect you are right and should probably invest in one. I tried a 1/4"/XLR convertor into my Fishman LB Mini XLR input and got great volume and sound but it also picked up every finger squeak, bump and rustle, and I consider myself a pretty clean player. Verdict: Great for recording, usable for me live once I sort out EQ, probably great in a controlled environment with an expert soundperson (I see people performing with mics of this ilk on violins, mandos etc but usually in very professional environments) but for the average living room/open mic warrior like me it's not exactly plug and play. Also I should note I emailed Gregg Myers a few times and got great, prompt responses. A big plus in my book.
UPDATE: For anyone looking into these pickups: Well, after a bunch of confusing research into matching impedance and such, and conversations with "experts" that just left me more confused, I finally got to spend some time looking into different options. Basically the conclusion is that you should treat these as mics. Yes, probably obvious but as a newb in these matters it wasn't that clear as it is marketed as a pickup and I had a pretty basic understanding of how that stuff works. In the end, what worked for me was mounting the unit just above, but not in, the sound hole (or f-hole in my case), going into a DI, then using the XLR out into the mic input on my amp. Fortunately my Fishman Loudbox Mini has one. That's it. I assume this would work the same way into a PA.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 02-05-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 08-15-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrif View Post
I bought mine for a resonator and it seems ideal for that application. I am interested in how it might work for my flattops, but I've used the double stick tape on my reso so I can't really jump back and forth. I was going to do a bit of that but with the suction cup, it just fell off the guitar while it was on the stand. That made me very nervous about the possibility of it falling off during a show. Pretty sure that'd ruin the song so I went ahead with the double stick.

On the reso, i have it going into the cone. No bass heavy sound there. In fact, I actually have to roll off treble, which helps it to sound smooth. It's pretty impressive in this application.

I highly recommend a good preamp. I'm using my trusty Baggs Para Acoustic DI and it works great. Big, fat signal is no problem at all. And the EQ is exactly what's needed to sculpt the sound. Once everything is set up correctly, it's very natural sounding.

I feel it's one of the best options available for a reso. Magnetic pickups make them sound like a lap steel. Little point in playing a reso if you can't hear the cone. And I've never cared for piezo systems. The only thing I might add at some point is a magnetic pickup at the neck, then blend the two. That would add some versatility. Overall, I'm happy with the unit.
Just curious as to what settings you are using on your Baggs Para Acoustic DI…. I am trying to use the Meyers with my National Resorocket Wood Body. The sound well is too boomy and the resonator cone sounds too thin.
Thanks..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification