The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-06-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I just performed a few tests outside using our tent and the EV30M fit just fine underneath our 10x10' ABCanopy tent. In fact, with the tent poles in the highest position there was easily 6" of room to spare.

I recorded a couple demo videos and I'm updating the first post on this thread to just make it the NAD thread. Once the videos are done uploading I'll post the new thread.
Looking forward to the videos. Not a review, but this is a Zoom Q2n sitting in front of the 30M. I guessed at the mix as my wife wasn't around to give me notes. Needs a bit more guitar in the mix but you get the idea. And since this is "yachtcoustic" - a little Air Supply. Was requested last time so I hacked this together.

https://youtu.be/o4BC3gNSsto

By contrast, the previous gig with the Udo and K8 (mic placement getting mostly Udo I think):

https://youtu.be/N5flL-JgpIY

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez

Last edited by nostatic; 06-06-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Looking forward to the videos. Not a review, but this is a Zoom Q2n sitting in front of the 30M...
Nice job! And the guitar, particularly with the 30m I'd say, sounds very pleasantly acoustic-y.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Nice job! And the guitar, particularly with the 30m I'd say, sounds very pleasantly acoustic-y.
That's a Modern Deluxe with the Fishman Aura factory installed. It is the best "acoustic-y" tone I've heard. The K&K in my OM-21 isn't bad, but it doesn't sound as much like a mic'd acoustic as the MD.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez

Last edited by nostatic; 06-06-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

New videos and comments posted in first post.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
New videos and comments posted in first post.
Thanks for shooting and posting, Scott! Very informative as usual. Finally fully linked my flat-screen TV to my YouTube account so it was kind of hilarious to have you on the big screen like that!

My gut tells me the EAE may not have been EQ'd perfectly for that space; your wife's (amazing) voice sounded more boxy than I expect that great amp delivers. Subjective though, I'm probably the only who thinks so. The 30m sounded every bit as good as I've come to expect. I think the far extreme of your 180+ degree dispersion walkabout showed how the 30m does not quite have the wingspan of the Bose L's and Pros--but as we've said many times, perfectly fine for most scenarios.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:35 AM

The difference is stark in the favour of the EV30M and I thought the D6-58 was supposed to sound fantastic and blow everything out of the water. A pity the weight is impossible for me because car ownership is near-impossible in my country
Old 06-07-2022, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks for shooting and posting, Scott! Very informative as usual. Finally fully linked my flat-screen TV to my YouTube account so it was kind of hilarious to have you on the big screen like that!

My gut tells me the EAE may not have been EQ'd perfectly for that space; your wife's (amazing) voice sounded more boxy than I expect that great amp delivers. Subjective though, I'm probably the only who thinks so. The 30m sounded every bit as good as I've come to expect. I think the far extreme of your 180+ degree dispersion walkabout showed how the 30m does not quite have the wingspan of the Bose L's and Pros--but as we've said many times, perfectly fine for most scenarios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
The difference is stark in the favour of the EV30M and I thought the D6-58 was supposed to sound fantastic and blow everything out of the water. A pity the weight is impossible for me because car ownership is near-impossible in my country
In fairness to the D6-58, the comments above are spot on in that the D6-58 was NOT EQ'd for that space (outside) while the EV30M was dialed in ONLY for playing outside since that is the only place I've played it so far. In a more fair comparison I would have spent a little time properly dialing in the D6-58 to get the best sound for outside and that surely would have improved the tone. However, even had I done that, the EV30M would still sound much better, get louder and throw the sound farther.

In a smaller, enclosed space (or even a larger one for that matter) the D6-58 does in fact sound great. We played a very large indoor farmers market and it sounded great. It just doesn't have the power or dispersion of the stick system. It's not a fair comparison by any means (which is why in my writing I stated it was definitely an apples to oranges comparison) and the last thing I want people to take away from the video is that the D6-58 is somehow not a great sounding amp because it certainly is.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
In fairness to the D6-58, the comments above are spot on in that the D6-58 was NOT EQ'd for that space (outside) while the EV30M was dialed in ONLY for playing outside since that is the only place I've played it so far. In a more fair comparison I would have spent a little time properly dialing in the D6-58 to get the best sound for outside and that surely would have improved the tone. However, even had I done that, the EV30M would still sound much better, get louder and throw the sound farther.

In a smaller, enclosed space (or even a larger one for that matter) the D6-58 does in fact sound great. We played a very large indoor farmers market and it sounded great. It just doesn't have the power or dispersion of the stick system. It's not a fair comparison by any means (which is why in my writing I stated it was definitely an apples to oranges comparison) and the last thing I want people to take away from the video is that the D6-58 is somehow not a great sounding amp because it certainly is.
I completely agree. It’s just a matter of form factor. The D6-58 sounds as good as an amp in a single amp sized box can sound: about on par with the AER 60 or Udo Capo 75 sound quality-wise, but with more channels and a more involved mixer. It sounds very, very good!

This is not the same however as a subwoofer coupled to the floor and a raised column of speakers which has a dispersion pattern that is far more appropriate for covering more people in a larger space. This is where the new stick systems shine over all-in-one combo amps or point source speakers like the QSCs.

Like Scott, I am extremely happy with my D6-58. In my opinion, it is the finest acoustic guitar and vocals amp out there. There are many occasions where it is absolutely the right tool for the job. In my case, I use the D6-58 for practicing with amplification at home and doing small impromptu concerts for (and with) friends.

There is also a lot of overlap. There are many places where either the D6-58 or the 30M are going to be fine. The D6-58 has a built in battery which lasts for several hours, so it pulls ahead in some of these for convenience.

Also, I think a combo amp is a much better fit for playing in a group where you want an amp but aren’t supplying the PA. In this context, the wonderful dispersion of the 30M is going to compete with the PA sound. A combo amp is a far better fit for this very common situation.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
Can anyone compare the life and clarity of these with QSCs?

I too have an acoustic duo and we’ve a/b’d a number of systems against our current QSC setup, which is a lot to carry around, but sounds fantastic.

Thinking about giving the 50M a shot, but all the other systems we’ve tried ended up going back.
Which QSCs are you wondering about?
Old 06-09-2022, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
Can anyone compare the life and clarity of these with QSCs?

I too have an acoustic duo and we’ve a/b’d a number of systems against our current QSC setup, which is a lot to carry around, but sounds fantastic.

Thinking about giving the 50M a shot, but all the other systems we’ve tried ended up going back.
I have no experience with the newer, less expensive QSC's but assuming you're talking about the K8.2 I used to gig with a mixer and one of those but that was also some time ago so my 'comparison' to the EV30M is going to be from memory. The K8.2 was an extremely powerful speaker for its size with outstanding clarity and it was built like a tank.

I would say that it was at least as clear in the highs and not too bad in the lows. If comparing to a single K8.2 then I'd say that the EV30M wins with better (lower) bass due to the sub and then also wider sound dispersion and of course the built-in mixer. Against a pair of K8's or even more so, K10's, with a mixer then the QSC's might win in sheer power but you're also looking at lugging a lot more equipment.

I think an EV50M would give a pair of QSC's a heck of a run with much less gear to haul. Depending on the size of the venues and types of music you play in your duo, the 30M might be enough and then would come in way under a dual QSC plus mixer in price.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:15 PM

Sorry for the old bump. But I just picked up a 30M. Holy smokes does this thing sound good. Only played through it for a few min today so really looking forward to next week’s gig.

So far I’d have to say better than the QSCs which I define it did not expect. Probably going to go get a 50M when they get back in stock too.

I don’t want to hate on Bose or anyone that digs Bose, but they really shouldn’t sell another unit now that these EVs are out. Just so good.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:11 PM

Even though I have a Stagepas 1k, I'm seriously thinking about getting one because of the extra channel or two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification