The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2022, 05:57 AM

Default Pickup Systems For Percussive Style Playing?

Contemplating resurrecting my solo/duo act and would like to incorporate some percussive style playing (a la Mike Dawes) into some songs. Looking for suggestions on which acoustic guitar pickup systems work well for this sort of thing. Thoughts?????
Old 07-13-2022, 06:05 AM

Likely more sbt/mic combos
Old 07-13-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfabian View Post
Contemplating resurrecting my solo/duo act and would like to incorporate some percussive style playing (a la Mike Dawes) into some songs. Looking for suggestions on which acoustic guitar pickup systems work well for this sort of thing. Thoughts?????
Fishman Powertap Earth, by a mile, so far. I have one Avalon with a Sunrise and K&K combination that I run through either an orange tube preamp or two of f their FET/solid state acoustic DI’s. I have a second with a Powertap Earth that goes straight to the mixer via the supplied Y-cable (to eq the percussive and string elements separately) and the latter works best for percussive playing.

I’ll try and get a video demonstrating next time I play out.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-13-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Id suggest checking out your favorite players. Almost always an SBT in there somewhere. Andy McKee, along with many of the Candyrat gang tend toward K&K, perhaps with a mic. Jon Gomm uses the Powertap system, i think. Mike dawes uses the Black Angel system, last I knew. Then there are crazy systems, like Preston Reed, who used to have sensors in each location he’d hit.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Trance Audio Amulet ….!!

Hi,

I would suggest taking a look/listen to the Trance amulet system….their lense transducers are phenomenal. I’ve been using Amulet M systems for many years. The amulet M phantom for the last three years. I love being “battery free”…!!!

Paul
[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]2007 Fender EJ Strat, Tom Anderson Classic T, Taylor GS BTO (Madagascar Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Top), 2014 Collings CJ MhA, 2022 Gibson (Fuller’s Special) Advanced Jumbo, 1965 Fender Vibrolux Reverb, DR Z MAZ 38 MK II Senior Reverb, DR Z EZG-50...To be cont'd!!!
Old 07-24-2022, 12:26 PM

Having had the relatively new Powertap Earth system from Fishman in my guitar for a short while, I have to say that I think it may be the best ‘out of the box’ solution for percussive players, and a godsend to anyone new to the style that’s not willing to trial-and-error their way to the full-range sound that the guys using drop-tunings and body percussion are getting at live shows.

It’s way better than I expected, especially when you use the supplied Y-cable, because you can eq the sbt-type pickup (I think it may be a suspended coil but I’m not sure) totally separately and then in the other channel you can still dial as much sbt as you like in with the magnetic sound, but eq’d or with added reverb/delay, differently. This gives you loads of percussive potential and still a very solid ‘strings’ signal with it.

I’m not so much about the percussive playing any more, but I like having a live sound that’s capable should I wish to use it, and I think it makes for a better plugged-in tone anyway. For that reason, I’m actually thinking about taking the k&k and sunrise out of my main guitar when it goes back to Avalon for a refret and getting them to plug and re-finish the second jack hole I drilled, then fitting a Powertap Earth to it instead.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 08-01-2022, 09:18 AM

I've got Jon Gomms signature guitar, the Ibanez JGM10 with the Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend and Fishman PowerTap Earth Blend. Incredibly good PU combo for percussive playing. I'm more of a celtic fingerstyle player and love the PUs for their natural sound and the guitar as such for downtunings.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Baggs Anthem works for me. But I mostly loop percussive parts to play over. I did just receive a guitar with a k&k trinity pro and I'm going to give that a try at a show this week and see how it goes.

So far, I can't quite seem to get the really low frequencies that I can with the Anthem. And what's there is not as tight. I have tons of processing available. But it's close enough I'm going to spend some more time tweaking it to see what happens.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:03 PM

Anything with a mic in it. How about Cole Clark. Or Yamaha Atmosfeel equipped guitars (Red Label FGX/FSX3/5) or any late 90s - 2015 ish Yamaha with the ART pickups.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:47 PM

I would buy a Cole Clark for this. They pick up a ton of body sound and are one of the best systems on the market.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:38 AM

I have a Cole Clarke, it's done hundreds, if not over a thousand, gigs.

I had to put a magnetic in it to use it percussively because no matter where I set the sliders for the sensors in relationship to the UST, it got way more percussion than string sound through the PA.

Even when I tried to modify my playing to emphasise the slaps and taps less.

With a magnetic (that picks up the string sounds only) on another channel, this was easy to bring into balance. But the sound still has a transient that I didn't like as much as I get from a straight SBT... most noticeably at high stage volumes.

That's why I use these out now, and my Cole Clarke barely gets taken out anymore. The Powertap Earth beats the K&K and Sunrise for me, but only on the percussive side. It's 'prettier' for less aggressive attack. Here's a video:

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
mike dawes, percussive style, pickups