The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2022, 05:24 AM

Default How Far Would You Go ? Pics Welcome.

I have a Bose L1-Compact. Love it. (I also own an S1-Pro.)

I've always had to use it pretty close behind me on shallow stages. Bigger stages usually means bigger rooms and we'd take a full p.a.

However...

We (duo) have a gig coming up that's sort of "on the edge" of being a large room, but there is a small house p.a. BUT they only have 2 channels (we need 4/5) and they have no monitors, and it's a small system. Mutiple performers before us, we're the headliner.

Our solution so as to make it quick, not make a huge footprint, nor appear to be "FOGHAT" setting up a wall of sound is...

I'm going to throw my Yamaha MG10XU up there with a preset mix we know works, run one line (L) to my Bose L1-Compact for a little more "kick" and to give us some monitor, and shoot another line (R) to the little house p.a.

My question is...

The stage looks deep. If there is 10/15 feet behind us, would you guys "use" that space to get the Bose unit back far enough to use more volume considering the larger room?

In other words, how far behind you would you set an L1-Compact if you had unlimited space? For maximum sound?

Pictures welcome!

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-03-2022, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I've seen many performers online and in person move their stick systems in front of them, even if just barely, when they feel the need for really high levels, both to tame feedback (no system is perfectly immune) and not assault their ears too much. So if you're looking for the extra kick to compensate for a modest house system--by that thinking, it might not be ideal.

I have limited experience with edge cases so take it with a grain of salt. With my own Bose line and now the Evolve 30m, it's just me singing with my guitar in spaces that clearly fit the equipment. I have had my L1M2 several feet behind and 10 feet off to the right and it was fine, and fairly loud for a large outdoor farmer's market, but that isn't as acoustically confining as what you're facing.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:45 AM

As I recall Bose recommended placing the L1 about 6 feet behind the performer. I have had better results putting the L1 to the left or right of the performer to avoid blocking the sound from the stick. Good luck I hope this helps.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-03-2022, 09:14 AM

I've had mixed results with the bose l1 behind us..There are distances where it seems to negate itself..I'm sure this is a freq thing.
One time our bass player couldn't hear himself at all where we all could hear him fine.
He took a step maybe 4 ft to his left and all was good...so my guess would be the furthur back the speaker placement the better.
That being said you can get these in front of you and still here pretty well.. anyone with a soundboard transducer
In their instrument may have to be more careful as kk usually tend to feedback when near bose.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:09 AM

Check the Bose L1 - Toonz -website

https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php...aring_Yourself
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-03-2022, 11:31 AM

You asked for pics and this is the best I have, although it's not super-obvious.

Regardless of space available, I always have the L1 pretty much behind the headstock end of my guitar to my left, and we run a small powered speaker or two out from the mixer if the percussionist needs to be mic'd.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-03-2022, 03:57 PM

Great mixer you've got. Your title for the post is "how far would you go."
To be honest, if it's a larger venue, and you need that many channels, I'd either get another L1C, or get a matched pair of FOH powered speakers like Yamaha DBR10s or QSC CP8. Especially if you ever start to do even bigger events still.

I got rid of my L1C because when playing large room at levels for active listeners it was fine, when pushed hard to be LOUD and in your face (to get someone's attention) it sounded really bad.

So that's my 2c. Get some FOH speakers with ample SPL (120+) to give you plenty of headroom.

In my experience, mixing and matching L and R channels to different sound sources can create gain staging issues to get things to match. I'm not saying it can't be done, but going with identical L/R side sound sources is much easier.

My one band uses 16 channels and I can tell you from experience, going through two powered speakers is way better than going through a single line array.

As a duo, each of you could buy one speaker. Then, at future gigs, use one for a main and another for a monitor.

For this one, I'd use the two for FOH set wide and your S1 Pro for a monitor.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
In my experience, mixing and matching L and R channels to different sound sources can create gain staging issues to get things to match. I'm not saying it can't be done, but going with identical L/R side sound sources is much easier
YOU DA MAN !

I tried it at home with my Carvin AG100D and an old Peavey XR600 and it was noisey.

However, using the "line out" of the Bose works like a charm in any system I try.

When I just use the Bose we pan everything left and that's what I'll do tomorrow.

I've never seen the house system but have "heard" it's "not much" which is why I'm wanting to use the Bose, because it sounds fantastic for acoustic guitars, mandolins, resonator, and voices and we switch back and forth between instruments, both playing all of them except the resonator which is just me. That way, if the house system is junk we'll have SOME decent tone with the Bose. And we will hear the actual mix.

Thanks,

Ben.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Great mixer you've got.

My one band uses 16 channels and I can tell you from experience, going through two powered speakers is way better than going through a single line array.

As a duo, each of you could buy one speaker. Then, at future gigs, use one for a main and another for a monitor.
We have large gear for large gigs, but no powered speakers. Actually I have the old Carvin AG100D, which is sorta like a powered speaker.....

I see some in our future.

Thanks again for your expertise.

Ben.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
We have large gear for large gigs, but no powered speakers. Actually I have the old Carvin AG100D, which is sorta like a powered speaker.....

I see some in our future.

Thanks again for your expertise.

Ben.
I'm familiar with the Carvin AG100D. Nice rig. I really like the flexibility that comes with powered speakers when it comes to adding satellite speakers and/or monitors and/or subs. Glad to be able to offer suggestions from my experiences. Best of luck with the gig.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:25 AM

UPDATE;

The house p.a. was gone when we got there.

We put the L1-Compact in the front of the stage and used monitors. (lined out of the L1-C)

That darned L1-Compact covered the whole room, the opening solo acoustic guy used it and I had time to walk around and tweek it.

It never ceases to amaze me how well that little dude works.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:05 PM

Default Off topic

Congratulations of being prepared. Professional. Impressive.

I wonder what kind of venue treats their headliner so cavalierly. Changing or removing a sound system without notice is so disrespectful And bad business, too. What if the players counted on the house system entirely, and it was gone at performance time?

On a side note. I saw Hobo Jim playing at a venue when the house system quit unexpectedly. He went out to his car and brought in his own system and was up and playing in less than 5 minutes. Professional. Impressive.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post

I wonder what kind of venue treats their headliner so cavalierly. Changing or removing a sound system without notice is so disrespectful And bad business, too. What if the players counted on the house system entirely, and it was gone at performance time?.
This actually happened to me last week. I play at a pretty high end resort and they typically have a stage setup with two full Bose F systems and a QSC ZED 14FX mixer. The PA covers a pretty good size ballroom.

Well I showed up and no PA, as one hand didn't talk to another, and the resort used the PA for a party somewhere else in the building.

Fortunately, I carry a Schertler JAM 200 and BASS System and a BOSE L1s, so I just used the L1s and it covered the room just fine. Glad I had it with me!!!

Halfway through my set an AV guy started rolling the BOSE F systems back to the stage I told him just to put it off to the side.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post

I wonder what kind of venue treats their headliner so cavalierly. Changing or removing a sound system without notice is so disrespectful And bad business, too. What if the players counted on the house system entirely, and it was gone at performance time?

It was more a lack of communication than anything. The opening guy had done sound for the owner before, and he knew about it and had another L1-Compact in his car, but we already had mine on the stage so didn't use his. We did use his little powered monitors.

It was all good.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
This actually happened to me last week. I play at a pretty high end resort and they typically have a stage setup with two full Bose F systems and a QSC ZED 14FX mixer. The PA covers a pretty good size ballroom.

Well I showed up and no PA, as one hand didn't talk to another, and the resort used the PA for a party somewhere else in the building.

Fortunately, I carry a Schertler JAM 200 and BASS System and a BOSE L1s, so I just used the L1s and it covered the room just fine. Glad I had it with me!!!

Halfway through my set an AV guy started rolling the BOSE F systems back to the stage I told him just to put it off to the side.
Nice job of being prepared and professional. I might have been tempted to tell the AV guy to put the system elsewhere! Glad your gig went well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification