The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-05-2021, 06:28 PM

Default Dimensions for Stewmac 000 kit

I am a newbie to building and am taking the plunge on my first kit, but want to make sure I am getting the size of guitar that I need. I am considering either the OM or the 000 Stewmac kits. Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction to find out what the body dimensions (width across the bouts, depth) are for a completed Stewmac 000 guitar?

Thanks in advance. I get a feeling that I will be back on the forum looking for all kinds of information about how to do the build!
Old 01-05-2021, 07:27 PM

The StewMac 000 plan I have here (drawing #0894, 2003) may be a bit older.

Depth of the completed guitar is 4 1/8” at the big end.
Bouts are drawn full scale but not directly dimensioned.
Lower is 15”, upper is 10 3/4”.

Let me know if you have other questions. I’ve got most of the kit upstairs.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:29 PM

I suspect a phone call to Stew-Mac would bring up answers to OP's questions.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I suspect a phone call to Stew-Mac would bring up answers to OP's questions.
I tried that. Stewmac isn't taking phone calls. When I emailed with them, they said that the 000 was 3" deep at the neck joint, 3-7/8" deep at the tail block, 10-3/4" wide at the upper bouts and 13" wide at the lower bouts. I know that they are the ones who MAKE the kit, but this just doesn't seem right since those dimensions are closer to an 0 than a 000. I am really confused! HELP!
Old 01-06-2021, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
The StewMac 000 plan I have here (drawing #0894, 2003) may be a bit older.

Depth of the completed guitar is 4 1/8” at the big end.
Bouts are drawn full scale but not directly dimensioned.
Lower is 15”, upper is 10 3/4”.

Let me know if you have other questions. I’ve got most of the kit upstairs.
Thank you for the response. I am not sure if the Stewmac rep that emailed me is wrong or if the kit has changed over the years, but the dimensions he gave me were 3" deep at the neck joint, 3-7/8" deep at the tail block, 10-3/4" wide at the upper bouts and 13" wide at the lower bouts. That just seems like it isn't what every Stewmac 000 I've seen on you tube looks like. I suppose they might have changed the kit, but I would think that they would call it a 0 rather than a 000. I would really like a kit with the dimensions you mentioned as opposed to going up to an OM.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriver View Post
I tried that. Stewmac isn't taking phone calls.
Chose a different supplier, one who does take phone calls.

While I realize that most suppliers of kits aren’t in business to teach you how to build a kit, questions and the need for help often arises, particularly for novice kit builders. If it is that difficult to get the answers you need on something as basic as the size of guitar that the kit produces, imagine the difficulties you’ll face in getting real help and support for something more technical. There are other kit suppliers who are known to provide excellent support to those who buy their kits. I’d chose one of those. (They also won’t try to sell you tools you don’t really need.)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:15 AM

Default A thought

OP certainly has done all the homework as he could. No fun, for sure. I would not take the S-M plan as gospel for the kit. Without looking I'm guessing that the plan is for a Martin copy, and the kit may be for a different design, no assuming that the plan S-M sell is the plan for their kit.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Chose a different supplier, one who does take phone calls.

While I realize that most suppliers of kits aren’t in business to teach you how to build a kit, questions and the need for help often arises, particularly for novice kit builders. If it is that difficult to get the answers you need on something as basic as the size of guitar that the kit produces, imagine the difficulties you’ll face in getting real help and support for something more technical. There are other kit suppliers who are known to provide excellent support to those who buy their kits. I’d chose one of those. (They also won’t try to sell you tools you don’t really need.)
As far as suppliers that offer better support, who do you recommend?
Old 01-06-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
John Hall at Blues Creek guitars.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
OP certainly has done all the homework as he could. No fun, for sure. I would not take the S-M plan as gospel for the kit. Without looking I'm guessing that the plan is for a Martin copy, and the kit may be for a different design, no assuming that the plan S-M sell is the plan for their kit.
The plan/print is included with the kit. Wouldn't make sense to include a plan that didn't reflect the design to be built.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The only instrument kit I've built was for a dulcimer 45 years ago.

I understand from peoples' comments that John Hall provides excellent support for the kits he sells.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I built the Stewmac 000 kit, I'll take a few measurements and get back to you if you still need, but the measurements are very close to a Martin 000-28vs, I know this for sure because I took exact measurements to purchase a case, and ended up buying one that was made for the 000-28. Fits perfect.

In my experience, Stewmac was great. They've sent me some free parts due to a few mistakes I made with no issues, responded quick, some parts arrived in a matter of two days! The instructions and DVD were good. I'd recommend researching as much as possible for all steps, some methods are better than others for different levels, but the Stewmac kit is excellent.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:20 AM

I second John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars. He is great and will be there by phone when you need him. Great Luthier !!!

Blues Creek OM I built
Martin D-15M
Martin D12X1
Guild D-40 Traditional
Guild D-55
Alvarez MPA70
Alvarez AFA1965
1968 Harmony Sovereign H1260
Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster
Fender 2019 American Performer Surf Green HS Telecaster
Gold Tone Beard Resonator
Old 01-08-2021, 07:32 AM

A few years back I ended up with a kit made out of Martin parts I got on eBay. I ended up calling John Hall from blues creek and he helped me out as if I had bought the kit from him.

I highly recommend John Hall and if I were to buy a kit from anyone it would certainly be from Blues creek

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair