The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 10:51 AM

Default Buying advice for long time electric player...

Hey all,

I'm a fairly high level player, albeit primarily with electrics for the last 30 years.

I say that to establish that though I've primarily focused on trying to be the next Lukather or Herring for a long time, I still love acoustics. I'm not trying to be boastful.

My dilemma...I haven't purchased a really nice acoustic in a very long time, probably 15 years. Second dilemma? I live local to Wildwood Guitars and their showroom is closed thus trying a lot of stuff in person is not possible right now.

My plan? Buy a few of things and use the 48 hour return window for what I don't like.

Any suggestions for a rocker who enjoys playing Stones, Zep, Black Crowes, Allmans, Warren Zevon, Jeff Buckley, Beatles, Dwight Yoakam, Pearl Jam, power ballads, etc? I think I'm just looking for versatility. I don't play bluegrass despite my Kentucky roots, but I do flatpick in the rock sense of the word. I hybrid pick more often than I fingerpick.

I'm usually accompanying a vocalist or singing myself.

Here is my current "short" list:

Gibson Hummingbird (Wildwood 1960 or Original)
Gibson J-45 (Banner 45 or Slash)
Martin D18 or D18 Modern Deluxe (I've seen some of the meh responses to the MD)
Martin HD28
Taylor Builder's Edition 517
Taylor Builder's Edition 717

I've read so many posts here and elsewhere about Gibson quality control that I'm a little skittish.

Sorry for the meandering post, this would be much easier if I could just walk into a store and try 20 guitars.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-17-2020 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Do not post language not conducive to a family-friendly forum
Old 09-17-2020, 11:20 AM

if you are primarily an electric player, you should consider the Martin SC-13 which was made with playability in mind and may be a nicer ergonomics. don't know what tone you are looking for, but it should be on your "try it out" list. several youtube vids on this product for you to see if it would suit your needs.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:27 AM

I also thought about the SC-13 in the first moment.
But for a rocker, I‘d say the Hummingbird or one of the Martins.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-17-2020, 11:37 AM

Thanks!

I should clarify that I’m not looking to replicate the “plays like an electric” experience or anything like that. I simply haven’t shopped for a nice acoustic in a long time. I’ve played Goodall, Huss and Dalton, Santa Cruz, Collings, Olsen (sp?), Lowden, etc over the years and spent a good day 5 years ago playing vintage stuff at Carter in Nashville.

I just want a great guitar....but hard to put your finger on it when stores are closed.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShredX View Post
I just want a great guitar....
Don't overlook the new Guilds coming out of Oxnard, California. Or older ones, for that matter, especially out of New Hartford.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-17-2020, 11:54 AM

There are certainly no "bad" guitars in your list, but they are very different from each other. I think it largely comes down to preference. If it were me in your shoes, I'd get something less expensive to tide me over (assuming you don't have something already) until I could go play them side by side. My choice would be an Eastman, but there are a plethora of less expensive, good sounding and playing guitars out there.

Out of the guitars you mentioned, my choice was a Taylor 717e and a J-45, but that doesn't mean those will be your choice.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:02 PM

Hard to go wrong with an HD28 or a D18. You just need to decide on mahogany vs. rosewood. Besides the dreads, I would suggest that you look at an OM size Martin like an OM28 or OM28MD, which was an easier transition from electric. They're good all-rounders that handle strumming, flat picking and finger style equally well.

Consistency-wise, Collings is a great choice if you can't play before you pay. I really like their D1 (Sitka/Hog) dread. Also, Santa Cruz makes great OMs if you go that route, and there are many others. It all depends on your budget. If you're a tone chaser, you'll appreciate the differences but will need to weigh the cost of the incremental gains.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Don't sweat Gibson QC unless you are looking at 1960 or so until the Bozeman Montana era. Owning my Kalamazoo made Epiphone made buying this era Gibson product a must play event. I've never played a 40s-50s Gibson I didn't love, and my 65 Texan is a dream, but I played a 68 that was horrible.

The modern Gibsons sound great, but not old, except for the J 45 vintage, a great guitar.

The no brainer answer for me is always to default to the D 18 of choice that fits your budget. Once again, except for the Authentic, I prefer the 60s.

I don't like Taylors, but the neck might sell you on one. Taylor started out with electric players in mind.

Now if the folksy rock thing is what you are after, Eagles and such, you need to try a D 28 or two.

If you are looking for punch, a 60s or 70s D 18 is the ticket.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-17-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShredX View Post
...I should clarify that I’m not looking to replicate the “plays like an electric” experience or anything like that...
Why not - IME a pre-2K Taylor will give it to you in spades (FYI "the playability of a fine electric" was their advertising slogan at the time) and also sits nicely in a band mix with electric instruments, one of the reasons many CCM/praise-&-worship teams prefer them...
Old 09-17-2020, 01:45 PM

Welcome to the AGF, Shred. I too am a 30 year electric guitar aficionado ... and acoustic as well.

Unfortunate that you can't make the showroom at Wildwood Guitars. In your position I would try every acoustic I could get my hands on because you never know what will be "the one" but that's not the case.

Very tough to recommend a specific guitar in your case because they're all great guitars and all sound different. The J-45 is great, as is the D-18, the HD-28, and the Taylor's Builder Edition (although I've never played that one).

If you're a Gibson acoustic fan and you buy from a place with a great return policy I wouldn't be concerned with any quality control issues.

Anyway you can buy used and actually play the guitar before buying?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
There are certainly no "bad" guitars in your list, but they are very different from each other. I think it largely comes down to preference. If it were me in your shoes, I'd get something less expensive to tide me over (assuming you don't have something already) until I could go play them side by side. My choice would be an Eastman, but there are a plethora of less expensive, good sounding and playing guitars out there.

Out of the guitars you mentioned, my choice was a Taylor 717e and a J-45, but that doesn't mean those will be your choice.

I have a couple around here that get me by, just looking to upgrade a bit.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I also gigged for 30 years, electric primarily.
To approximate the feel, especially if you will be using a plectrum, I would look into narrower nut and saddle string spacing widths and rounder fretboard radius.

The Taylors can have a great, fast feel, after playing electrics. Also if you are a bolt on Fender electric player the 25.5" full scale radius is great for comping and lead work up by the sound hole. They also have a fast 2 3/16" saddle spacing and a medium round 15" fretboard.

Gibson's have my favorite short scale, nut widths and string spacing.

If you want to save some money I play my PRS SE A55EBH cutaway with 11's (custom lights). It has a 11.81" round radius, a medium scale length around 25.3" and a great 2 7/32" saddle spacing. They have ebony fretboards, quilted maple back and sides and bone nuts and saddle. With the 11's and low action it can rip fast songs accurately.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Welcome to the AGF, Shred. I too am a 30 year electric guitar aficionado ... and acoustic as well.

Unfortunate that you can't make the showroom at Wildwood Guitars. In your position I would try every acoustic I could get my hands on because you never know what will be "the one" but that's not the case.

Very tough to recommend a specific guitar in your case because they're all great guitars and all sound different. The J-45 is great, as is the D-18, the HD-28, and the Taylor's Builder Edition (although I've never played that one).

If you're a Gibson acoustic fan and you buy from a place with a great return policy I wouldn't be concerned with any quality control issues.

Anyway you can buy used and actually play the guitar before buying?

There are one or two guitars on the local Craigslist i.e. custom shop 1960 Hunmingburds etc.

I have played all of the models I’ve mentioned though vintage examples, not the modern takes. Not the Taylor obviously.

My recollection of the Gibsons are that of warm, round tone that reminds me of what I’ve always heard on things like Street Fighting Man, Dead Flowers, etc...

I’ve played some amazing D18’s over the years as well.

Anyway, y’all are right. No substitute for playing them in person. I apologize for the somewhat unrealistic post...just trying to recall some of these tones in my head, YouTube isn’t doing it for me.

Time to buy a bunch of guitars...maybe lol
Old 09-17-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I also gigged for 30 years, electric primarily.

To approximate the feel, especially if you will be using a plectrum, I would look into narrower nut and saddle string spacing widths and rounder fretboard radius.

The Taylors can have a great, fast feel, after playing electrics. Also if you are a bolt on Fender electric player the 25.5" full scale radius is great for comping and lead work up by the sound hole. They also have a fast 2 3/16" saddle spacing and a medium round 15" fretboard.

Gibson's have my favorite short scale, nut widths and string spacing.

If you want to save some money I play my PRS SE A55EBH cutaway with 11's (custom lights). It has a 11.81" round radius, a medium scale length around 25.3" and a great 2 7/32" saddle spacing. They have ebony fretboards, quilted maple back and sides and bone nuts and saddle. With the 11's and low action it can rip fast songs accurately.

My go to electrics are an older custom shop 58 Les Paul, another LP, a couple of James Tyler hot rod strat styles, a Charvel, and some other miscellaneous Tele, SG, etc. I have a fairly even split of 24.75 vs 25.5 scale length if I pulled them all out of storage. I play the primary LP and my Tyler Studio Elite the most.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:33 PM

If you're plugging in, go for a Yamaha FGX5. Thank me when you play it (unplugged or plugged in). No piezo quack. Competes in tone with a Nazareth PA made guitar on your list at half the price. Then you can buy a really fancy leather strap and a good acoustic amp or PA system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion