The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-14-2020, 07:20 AM

Default Virtual Playing Partner

Since there's some posts recently about "virtual practice partners" I thought I'd add a quick post for a Virtual Playing Partner for all the times when you want someone to accompany you but that's not practical.

I have a bunch of recording equipment, but there's nothing handier than a small portable recorder and a battery operated extension speaker. You can set this up in seconds and it goes anywhere you do.

Shown in the photo is a Tascam DR-05 and a Creative D100 that I use quite often. It goes out to the shop with me for listening to music and also sees service plugged into my laptop for listening to Youtube videos. The D100 is quite loud for it's size and has twin 3" drivers for stereo sound.

The D100 has beeen discontinued, but it's been replaced it with the Creative Movo 20 model with rechargeable batteries, but very similar format. A good portable extension speaker is $50 well spent IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Port...CG96KXJ14TNKQW

When you have a new tune to practice it's dead easy to record backing chords and have something to play along with.

Last edited by Rudy4; 10-05-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

You should check out "Band in a Box" software too, if you want to have the rest of the band as virtual playing partners. My old guitar teacher used to use it for lessons.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 09-14-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
You should check out "Band in a Box" software too, if you want to have the rest of the band as virtual playing partners. My old guitar teacher used to use it for lessons.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I do have that scenario pretty well covered, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD