The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-14-2020, 05:31 AM
Musical minimalist

Default I want it, and I want it NOW!!

This is an interesting glimpse into our societies need for stuff....

While sending information to a friend yesterday regarding Concept 2 rowing machines, I noticed on their site that they were shut down during Covid and not able to meet production, so they are back-logged and not currently accepting orders.

I began looking online to see what was out there for my friend, and ran across at least a hundred Ebay listings (probably way more) for new Model D rowers (normally sell direct at 900.00 plus shipping) for 1300-1800.00

Curiosity made me look at the completed listings to see if any had actually sold. There was a ton of them that sold between 1300 and 1490.

Now, I know that home fitness equipment sales have gone crazy during this time, but this seems a little extreme. You would think folks could find another way to stay fit until the rowers were again available at their normal price. Especially this time of year when most of the country is in pleasant weather conditions.

Crazy....

Old 09-14-2020, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Gotta have that instant gratification!

Yep, an outdoor walk might do the trick.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:25 AM

I've been wanting to get a bike, for rail trail rides and stuff.

Good luck with that!

My bro-in law found a used one near one of the trails he uses so went with that and had a bike shop tune it up and get it running right.

We're soon going to be looking for appliances to replace what was lost in a house fire. seems that everything is a 3 to 4 month wait.. we're expecting the work on the house to be done in early 2021, contractor is urging us to order the stuff now.. he's probably more right than over cautions..

this too shall pass I guess..
Old 09-14-2020, 06:56 AM

It seems delayed gratification has become an elusive concept for many, and not just the home exercising crowd.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-14-2020, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Now, I know that home fitness equipment sales have gone crazy during this time, but this seems a little extreme. You would think folks could find another way to stay fit until the rowers were again available at their normal price. Especially this time of year when most of the country is in pleasant weather conditions.

Crazy....
I hear you. The home exercise equipment has seen sales increase by over 500% this year and over 70% of our exercise equipment comes from factories in China. So with the supply chain disrupted, shortages have been created. Supply and demand. From bicycles to toilet paper to apparently, rowing machines.

A good swim or a brisk walk sounds good to me.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-14-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I had a heck of a time finding a new or used Schwinn Airdyne. (I know that several other companies began manufacturing similar products that either rival or are better than the Airdyne, but I've owned and used Airdynes in the past and was very pleased.) I finally took the plunge in May and ordered one from the factory, but all that did was put me on a (probably long) waiting list. But still I kept checking Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to see if a nice one might come up for sale. The ones that did come up were largely high priced and several hundred miles away so they were gone before I could get to them. I even checked CL & FMP when I traveled to Philadelphia, but nothing doing.

When I returned from Philadelphia in July, on a whim I checked local resources and found one right here in Charlottesville listed as a little used, like new Airdyne AD7 which was actually a step up from the one I'd ordered. I couldn't believe my good fortune, but you never know with online sales. Would it be sold out from under me? Was I being set up for a robbery? Was it a bait and switch with an older, broken down model?

I'm happy to say that it was none of the above. It was a two year old model that couldn't have been ridden more than a half hour. In fact, when I arrived at the seller's home, the seller was busy and couldn't be disturbed, so her husband gave me vague directions to a room upstairs. I actually had to go in and out of several rooms (on my own) to locate the bike, but it was indeed as advertised.

The husband commandeered several landscapers who carried it down the steps and into my car, and the rest is history. It works great although an initial problem with the electronics was easily solved by plugging in a cord which evidently had never been plugged in. I got it at a great price, especially considering the supply and demand situation that was going on, and the $50 reduction I was able to get, $450 for an $899 (plus tax and shipping) machine...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

The best time to start exercising is always right now. Waiting for the price to come down on equipment would be a handy excuse for many. I applaud the willingness to pay the price and get started.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I had a heck of a time finding a new or used Schwinn Airdyne. (I know that several other companies began manufacturing similar products that either rival or are better than the Airdyne, but I've owned and used Airdynes in the past and was very pleased.) I finally took the plunge in May and ordered one from the factory, but all that did was put me on a (probably long) waiting list. But still I kept checking Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to see if a nice one might come up for sale. The ones that did come up were largely high priced and several hundred miles away so they were gone before I could get to them. I even checked CL & FMP when I traveled to Philadelphia, but nothing doing.

When I returned from Philadelphia in July, on a whim I checked local resources and found a little used, like new Airdyne AD7 which was actually a step up from the one I'd ordered. I couldn't believe my good fortune, but you never know with online sales. Would it be sold out from under me? Was I being set up for a robbery? Was it a bait and switch with an older, broken down model?

I'm happy to say that it was none of the above. It was a two year old model that couldn't have been ridden more than a half hour. In fact, when I arrived at the seller's home, the seller was busy and couldn't be disturbed, so her husband gave me vague directions to a room upstairs. I actually had to go in and out of several rooms (on my own) to locate the bike, but it was indeed as advertised.

The husband commandeered several landscapers who carried it down the steps and into my car, and the rest is history. It works great although an initial problem with the electronics was easily solved by plugging in a cord which evidently had never been plugged in. I got it at a great price, especially considering the supply and demand situation that was going on, and the $50 reduction I was able to get, $450 for an $899 (plus tax and shipping) machine...
You got a great deal. Timing is everything!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Supply and demand. Not sure it goes much further than that.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
You got a great deal. Timing is everything!
I'd add that luck figures in as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Supply and demand. Not sure it goes much further than that.
I think it's really a gross exaggeration of supply and demand because there have been very atypical factors that both minimized supply by factory closures and maximized demand...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-14-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
most of the country is in pleasant weather conditions.
This is good to hear. In the USA, where I live, it's nationwide smoke and aerosols, 5 tropical storms, flooding, fires, and one natoinal weather emergency after another.

It has also apparently become hard to find a decently priced motorhome here, so these disasters can be visited without risk of COVID infection in hotels and such.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
This is an interesting glimpse into our societies need for stuff....

While sending information to a friend yesterday regarding Concept 2 rowing machines, I noticed on their site that they were shut down during Covid and not able to meet production, so they are back-logged and not currently accepting orders.

I began looking online to see what was out there for my friend, and ran across at least a hundred Ebay listings (probably way more) for new Model D rowers (normally sell direct at 900.00 plus shipping) for 1300-1800.00

Curiosity made me look at the completed listings to see if any had actually sold. There was a ton of them that sold between 1300 and 1490.

Crazy....
The issue for C2 is they are the gold standard for rowing. All ages of rowers all the way to Olympic hopefuls are judged by their 2k erg time taken on a C2 static erg. When Covid hit in March, suddenly thousands of rowers who had hoped to be in boats were in need of ergs. I know my club of about 140 members only have 20 or so ergs to loan out. Multiply that by thousands of programs....
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
The issue for C2 is they are the gold standard for rowing. All ages of rowers all the way to Olympic hopefuls are judged by their 2k erg time taken on a C2 static erg. When Covid hit in March, suddenly thousands of rowers who had hoped to be in boats were in need of ergs. I know my club of about 140 members only have 20 or so ergs to loan out. Multiply that by thousands of programs....
Yes - I used to get involved in the (old standard) 2500 meter Crash B's. Many years ago before the model C even came out!

I told my buddy it was the only rower to consider. When I told him what was going on, he declined!

Even used ones on Craigslist are going for 50-60% more than usual - well, at least that's the asking price

Old 09-14-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yes - I used to get involved in the (old standard) 2500 meter Crash B's. Many years ago before the model C even came out!

I told my buddy it was the only rower to consider. When I told him what was going on, he declined!

Even used ones on Craigslist are going for 50-60% more than usual - well, at least that's the asking price
If you think the price of C2’s is bad, you should see the prices people are getting for used singles, since it’s basically the only thing we’ve been able to row since being allowed back on the water. I swear people are trotting out their 10 and 20 year old wrecks and asking a few thousand for them!

Got an old single lying around.... lol.

Oh, and you can get on the waitlist for C2. Both Amazon and Rogue Fitness also get shipments of a few at a time...regular price, but you have to check regularly and jump!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think it's really a gross exaggeration of supply and demand because there have been very atypical factors that both minimized supply by factory closures and maximized demand...
It's a unique case yes, but at the end of the day it's less about people "wanting it now" and "our society's need for stuff" than it is simple supply and demand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic