The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-13-2020, 06:40 AM

Question Behringer MIC100 Tube Ultragain usage

... does it make sense using it with an electric guitar ?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:29 PM

What are you looking to achieve by doing this?

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-14-2020, 03:10 PM

It makes quite a good banjo/piezo DI (I kid you not) due to the nature of the initial transients of the banjo and the harshness of a piezo bug being a match made in Hell. Set properly, the mic100 softens the attack of the signal and gives a little 3d colour to the midrange.

For electric guitar - it will do the same but only insofar as you have the same problem, otherwise it will be much like any other hiZ DI with a temperamental response that changes throughout the gig when overdriven and packs up when you can least afford it.

There are very good reasons why people pay plenty dinarii for good valve amps. This is a valve in a box which is not the same thing.

However, you are not the first person to have considered this. For a while I used one with a Takamine dread and it worked quite well. It was replaced by a Fishman Aura pedal which was a bit (lot) more appropriate.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:42 PM

I use an ART MP tube preamp (a similar device) with a 12ax7 Sovtek tube on my pedalboard and plug directly into a PA and get tube sound. Granted, it's not going to sound like a valve amp entirely, but when driven, I get some nice breakup with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars