The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2020, 04:00 PM

Default Options instead of K&K for glued saddle Martin? Less Feedback?

I have a Martin with a glued-in saddle and K&K mini pickup. I love the sound. It's not really feedback resistant enough for some of my playing situations (loud bars and restaurants, big outdoor festivals).That's with using the KK Pure preamp and some parametric EQ.

What are some alternative pickups that sound good, but are more feedback resistant? Generally not a fan of magnetic pups, fwiw.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2020, 04:09 PM

Have you tried a feedback buster (rubber soundhole plug)? I always use one of those with my K&K equipped Martin dreads if I encounter feedback issues and have never had a feedback problem even on large outdoor stages.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:39 PM

Have you seen these? I just received one but don't have it installed yet.

http://jamesmayengineering.com/
Old 09-11-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Have you seen these? I just received one but don't have it installed yet.

http://jamesmayengineering.com/
VERY interesting. Please let us know how it works out. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfog View Post
VERY interesting. Please let us know how it works out. Thanks!
James May also has a conversion kit for the K&K. Model UTP V3.2-CK. It's down near the bottom of the page.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 PM

I've played my K&K Pure Mini-equipped acoustics at really high volume levels using a D'Addario Screeching Halt sound hole plug.

Feedback comes with the territory. Any transducer is going to do it if you don't prevent the coupling of external sound to the guitar's body chamber. It's simple physics.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:20 PM

Haven’t had any feedback issues with either my Dazzo or Trance Amulet. We can played some fairly load gigs.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 09-12-2020, 03:28 AM

Have the James May Ultra Tonic in a D28 type guitar (beside Dazzo, Schatten, K&K in others) and it exactly does what it is made for : K&Kish sound , less feedback.
So I will recommend James May's upgrade kit.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 09-12-2020, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

anyone tried the model UTP V3.2-CK conversion kit on a k&k mini? if so did you notice an improvement?
Old 09-12-2020, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Big +1 on the Ultratonic from James May - I have had two and am getting a third one installed. The engineering and innovation behind this is rock solid - I think you’re going to be hearing a lot more about this pickup in the future.

I’m a former K&K user - their pickup is great no doubt - but i experienced it all - the “tubby” bass, feedback issues, and the sensitivity to impedance issues when using the many popular preamps that have 10megOhm input. You can get a great sound, but not always easily and sometimes not at all, depending...

The UTP sounds every bit as good or better than the K&K and gets rid of all these problems - I can turn it up louder than I’d want to use, right in front of speakers before it even begins to feed back. And yes, I’ve spoken to James and the conversion kit will pretty much literally turn the K&K into an Ultratonic. James is a straight shooter.

Bonus also is you can get a volume wheel with it that, unlike with some other passive pickups, doesn’t lose tone as you turn the volume down - another clever and possibly under-appreciated feature....

Last edited by sublro; 09-12-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:06 AM

For feedback rejection on a glued saddle Martin there is no better choice (right now) than the UltraTonic. This is exactly what it was designed to do. I had one and it was perfect for that application. I sold the guitar it was in, however. Now, I don't play loud, so I use K&K.

Dazzo is excellent sounding too. However, my only knock on it is that you need to use an acoustic preamp, or an amplification system with an acoustic preamp. Whereas the K&K will sound usable into a conventional PA without a preamp, the Dazzo will not. If you won't mind having the preamp handy (most don't) then the Dazzo is a good choice.

However, if you are OK with having the preamp handy, then you can just use the K&K and trim the low cut to suit.

So, again, if a passive soundboard transducer pickup for a glued saddle, with feedback control, is what you want, there is only one. UltraTonic.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I would second (or third, or fourth?) the choice of the Ultratonic - regardless of guitar. I have one installed in a Santa Cruz baritone, and I can sit directly in front and facing my amp, with the volume turned way up, and the tone is crisp and clean and accurate, without any feedback. The volume control is not just attenuation, and you don't lose tone as you turn it down. Its the only pickup I'd consider now, and have 2 more pickups on the bench that I hope to get installed soon -
Old 09-13-2020, 02:18 AM

Another option would be a soundhole pickup.
Baggs m80 or sunrise.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfog View Post
I have a Martin with a glued-in saddle and K&K mini pickup. I love the sound. It's not really feedback resistant enough for some of my playing situations (loud bars and restaurants, big outdoor festivals).That's with using the KK Pure preamp and some parametric EQ.

What are some alternative pickups that sound good, but are more feedback resistant? Generally not a fan of magnetic pups, fwiw.

Thanks!
Trance Audio Amulet M. http://tranceaudio.com/amuletm.html
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-14-2020, 05:44 PM

Default Schatten HFN

A few months ago, there was lots of positive talk about this one. I've never owned one but considering sound and simplicity, you might consider the Schatten HFN.

Also this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification