The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Since you already have two acoustics and an electric with humbuckers. I would recommend a strat or a tele since they have single coils and you can get different tones than a humbucker can produce. After that, I would recommend a modeling amplifier. I know some people don't like them but in my opinion you get so much bang for your buck. You would have to spend a fortune on amps and pedals to get all of the options that a modeling amp gives you. I have a Line 6 Spider V Mk II 60 watt and I love it. Plenty loud enough and simple enough to use for a couch player like me.
I agree if one already has an electric with buckers that a single coil is a logical next step.

As far as modeling Amps , I actually own a hybrid DSP modeling /tube amp, so for me it is not a matter of "not liking them" it's a matter of not being a fan of most of the actual tones produced by most of the inexpensive DSP/modeling amp offerings.
While it is true you can get a variety of tones with with one and " if " that is what one is after (a large variety of tonal options) which a valid goal , then a modeling amp makes sense.
However the real question is how important to any individual is having such a wide variety of tone ??? And something only each can determine for themselves.
Because having a more limited variety of quality analog tones is also an equally valid goal. And one need not spend "a fortune" chasing a wide variety that may not be ones goal in the first place . Just alternative food for thought because there is no right or wrong just differences in goals .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-05-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:18 PM

Thanks again, wish I could quote everyone individually.

I caved and grabbed the MIM fender Stratocaster, was at the old prices and been on the wall a good 8-10 months, so grabbed it, and then straight to my guitar tech for a full set up, check up, and new strings.

I paid one of the more experienced guys to come over after work and spend a few hours, and assist me with all this technology i had bought, and what everything does, mainly to avoid redundancy in the future.

I think my GAS is appeased for now, although i have asked them to keep an eye out for that Gretsch for me if one comes in. Aaannndd there is this light natural wood MIA telecastor that is simply gorgeous, but i shall resist till i “earn” another purchase lol

I know have a SS in the form of the orange crush35rt, a very decent valve/tube amp in the form of the VOX AC15HW, and some sort of modeling via the boss-me 80. I have a lot to learn with these so long.

I am still learning, what this does and that does, i thought in future adding a modeling amp will complete the trinity, the fender tone master was top of my list, just cant justify the price, and my limited skill set for the next while. The Katana mk11 100w, i could snap up at a great price, but i held off due to the boss me 80 peddles already and fear of redundancy.

The Kemper is the goal, so i put that cash aside, and will save up for that, hopefully by then i will have gathered enough knowledge to know if its a useful addition.

Although i am nowhere near utilizing nor appreciating a Lot of my gear, the one benefit of GAS is its forcing me to learn the technology in the meantime, i may not be able to put the pieces together yet, when the time comes and my finger skill set has improved to that level, i am hoping my grasp of the technical aspects of the gear has equally improved.

P.S when the engineer came through and played some great songs through the orange and then through the vox, it was like whhhhaaattt, ok i get it now, when i first hooked up the VOX I had serious buyers remorse, after hearing him AB the two amps, i appreciated both immensely for what they are designed for and capable of. That was an eye (ear) opener to hear them side by side with an experienced player.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB123 View Post
Thanks again, wish I could quote everyone individually.

I caved and grabbed the MIM fender Stratocaster, was at the old prices and been on the wall a good 8-10 months, so grabbed it, and then straight to my guitar tech for a full set up, check up, and new strings.

I paid one of the more experienced guys to come over after work and spend a few hours, and assist me with all this technology i had bought, and what everything does, mainly to avoid redundancy in the future.

I think my GAS is appeased for now, although i have asked them to keep an eye out for that Gretsch for me if one comes in. Aaannndd there is this light natural wood MIA telecastor that is simply gorgeous, but i shall resist till i “earn” another purchase lol

I know have a SS in the form of the orange crush35rt, a very decent valve/tube amp in the form of the VOX AC15HW, and some sort of modeling via the boss-me 80. I have a lot to learn with these so long.

I am still learning, what this does and that does, i thought in future adding a modeling amp will complete the trinity, the fender tone master was top of my list, just cant justify the price, and my limited skill set for the next while. The Katana mk11 100w, i could snap up at a great price, but i held off due to the boss me 80 peddles already and fear of redundancy.

The Kemper is the goal, so i put that cash aside, and will save up for that, hopefully by then i will have gathered enough knowledge to know if its a useful addition.

Although i am nowhere near utilizing nor appreciating a Lot of my gear, the one benefit of GAS is its forcing me to learn the technology in the meantime, i may not be able to put the pieces together yet, when the time comes and my finger skill set has improved to that level, i am hoping my grasp of the technical aspects of the gear has equally improved.

P.S when the engineer came through and played some great songs through the orange and then through the vox, it was like whhhhaaattt, ok i get it now, when i first hooked up the VOX I had serious buyers remorse, after hearing him AB the two amps, i appreciated both immensely for what they are designed for and capable of. That was an eye (ear) opener to hear them side by side with an experienced player.
Congrats .....................
I think your gear choices are not only a great starting point but are in all fact keepers.

When I got back into electric almost 4 years ago Back in the good ol' pre-covid days... I spent the better part of 4 months going to almost every guitar shop in the Denver and Northern Co . area, auditioning. I actually ended up somewhat similar with the 35rt's little brother the Orange 20 rt. and a Supro tube amp.

Now not to pile on and something that can certainly wait until you get more experienced or (if at all),,,, but that combination of amps could also make an excellent two amp wet/dry system ...just something to ponder for the future.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 09-07-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Congrats .....................
I think your gear choices are not only a great starting point but are in all fact keepers.

When I got back into electric almost 4 years ago Back in the good ol' pre-covid days... I spent the better part of 4 months going to almost every guitar shop in the Denver and Northern Co . area, auditioning. I actually ended up somewhat similar with the 35rt's little brother the Orange 20 rt. and a Supro tube amp.

Now not to pile on and something that can certainly wait until you get more experienced or (if at all),,,, but that combination of amps could also make an excellent two amp wet/dry system ...just something to ponder for the future.
I have heard of this wet/dry system and have a vague idea of what is meant by it, so i can hook up the AC 15 to the orange and run in tandem, with some effects coming from the orange or in stereo, or is it an AB switch with a certain sound for various sections of a song coming from either or amp ?

I asked about the jumper leads , connecting normal in and out to top boost, so guitar into low and jump high input into low/high of top boost. The guitar tech wasn’t sure, I don’t think he was as familiar with the AC15HW.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have heard of this wet/dry system and have a vague idea of what is meant by it, so i can hook up the AC 15 to the orange and run in tandem, with some effects coming from the orange or in stereo, or is it an AB switch with a certain sound for various sections of a song coming from either or amp ?

I asked about the jumper leads , connecting normal in and out to top boost, so guitar into low and jump high input into low/high of top boost. The guitar tech wasn’t sure, I don’t think he was as familiar with the AC15HW.
Well yes and no.
No you don't literally "hook up" or directly connect the the Vox to Orange. Yes you do run them in tandem or "simultaneously". And yes for "wet/dry" you have to have an ABY switching unit,,,, one that can both "isolate" the A side output from the B, and that also has a phase/polarity reversal switch on one side . (in the event that the two amps might be firing their speakers out of phase).

Also note wet/dry is not "stereo" and does not require "stereo" FX's , it is "dual mono", where you are running one amp having what is called "wet" effects (or more specifically time domain type effects) like reverb, delay, etc. (that tend to make the transient attack more diffuse and less forward or present) , while the other amp is run with no time delay effects and is still putting out the dry unaffected , cleaner, more present, sound .

Note that none, or one, or even both amps could be playing with some breakup, or drive or gain, going on,,,, or one clean and one distorted.,,,, or both clean (your choice) reason is because things like overdrive, brake up, or amp distortion, is actually still considered a "dry" effect, because it does not muddy up the the attack transients or presence...... make sense ?

So you would plug your guitar into the mono "input" of the ABY switcher, and run one amp from the A side output , and one amp from the B side output , and for wet/dry you would run one with wet FX like reverb , delay, etc and one without. So those effects could be either on the amp itself, or from pedals placed after the ABY switcher and before the amp on the wet side only .

What this accomplishes is you can run more (heavier ) amounts of wet effect in the wet amp side , but still retain the transient punch and presence coming from the dry amp side , and not get the typical muddiness you might from having both amps wet (stereo), or even a single mono amp if you were running a lot of wet processing on it, by itself . .................................................. . WET/DRY perhaps the best of both worlds ?

When you have some time to spend, you might check out this extensive hour plus video on wet/dry, these guys have several videos on the subject and are pretty knowledgeable IMO.

Now they are talking about having a full pedal board and lots of pedals,,,,, BUT the basic theory still applies no matter how many pedals you have (if any) as long as you have at least two amps, and reverb on one of them..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 09-07-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well yes and no.
No you don't literally "hook up" or directly connect the the Vox to Orange. Yes you do run them in tandem or "simultaneously". And yes for "wet/dry" you have to have an ABY switching unit,,,, one that can both "isolate" the A side output from the B, and that also has a phase/polarity reversal switch on one side . (in the event that the two amps might be firing their speakers out of phase).

Also note wet/dry is not "stereo" and does not require "stereo" FX's , it is "dual mono", where you are running one amp having what is called "wet" effects (or more specifically time domain type effects) like reverb, delay, etc. (that tend to make the transient attack more diffuse and less forward or present) , while the other amp is run with no time delay effects and is still putting out the dry unaffected , cleaner, more present, sound .

Note that none, or one, or even both amps could be playing with some breakup, or drive or gain, going on,,,, or one clean and one distorted.,,,, or both clean (your choice) reason is because things like overdrive, brake up, or amp distortion, is actually still considered a "dry" effect, because it does not muddy up the the attack transients or presence...... make sense ?

So you would plug your guitar into the mono "input" of the ABY switcher, and run one amp from the A side output , and one amp from the B side output , and for wet/dry you would run one with wet FX like reverb , delay, etc and one without. So those effects could be either on the amp itself, or from pedals placed after the ABY switcher and before the amp on the wet side only .

What this accomplishes is you can run more (heavier ) amounts of wet effect in the wet amp side , but still retain the transient punch and presence coming from the dry amp side , and not get the typical muddiness you might from having both amps wet (stereo), or even a single mono amp if you were running a lot of wet processing on it, by itself . .................................................. . WET/DRY perhaps the best of both worlds ?

When you have some time to spend, you might check out this extensive hour plus video on wet/dry, these guys have several videos on the subject and are pretty knowledgeable IMO.

Now they are talking about having a full pedal board and lots of pedals,,,,, BUT the basic theory still applies no matter how many pedals you have (if any) as long as you have at least two amps, and reverb on one of them..

Thank you, i had to read through that a few times before replying, but makes complete sense now, and slowly putting the puzzle pieces together in my head. I understand completely what you saying, and how to, on paper.

Saved the video, excited to give this one a watch later today, everyday i have learnt a few new things, love it.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you, i had to read through that a few times before replying, but makes complete sense now, and slowly putting the puzzle pieces together in my head. I understand completely what you saying, and how to, on paper.

Saved the video, excited to give this one a watch later today, everyday i have learnt a few new things, love it.
Very welcome. a year ago I was in the same position I had heard the term wet/dry but knew very little about it. Honestly it was a fair amount of YouTube research and specifically the various videos from the guys on "That Pedal Show" that helped educate me .

Myself being a visual learner I found this graph from one of their shows that gives a clear visual reference of the signal path and what is going on, to be the light bulb moment for me ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 09-08-2020 at 08:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars