The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-27-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G String View Post
That Cutlass sounds nice, very sweet indeed. They’re supposed to be great guitars, Music Man. Is the roasted maple supposed to help even out volume between notes?
I've had both the initial Cutlass and the subsequent RS model - I bought the latter because it looked killer; the RS also has the EBMM tung oil finish vs the satin lacquer of earlier models. I am pretty sure that any effect the roasting has on sound is swamped by all of the other stuff that happens when you screw different bits of wood together.

Before I went acoustic mad I played a ton of electrics: IMHO EBMM are absloutely the best value out there, especially used, where their price pretty much halves. No idea why; they are fabulous instruments. I've had plenty of PRS and Suhr, and EBMM lives with those for fit and finish easily.

All that assumes you can get on with the EBMM neck, which tend to sport narrow nuts and fretboards. The first time I tried an EVH decades ago I hated it. Once I gave it some time, I couldn't go back.

Now that I live on acoustic 99% of the time, an EBMM Cutlass HSS is all I intend keeping for electric; it's a lot of guitar and very versatile.

Incidentally, I did try a Silver Sky when they arrived in the UK and just couldn't get past the tiny frets and 7.5" radius. It reminded me of several 70s strats I had back in the day.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-29-2020, 03:58 AM

I just saw that the nut width is a tad narrow , for those who have the cutlass, does it bother you?
Old 08-30-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Tim

If you watch the Tim Pierce comparison video between the Silver Sky and a vintage $25,000 Strat....you will want one......(WARNING--DO NOT watch his comparison video of PRS's "Les Paul"...it is modeled after a 58' Les Paul that the lead guitar for Heart has played for years....the PRS is better....WARNING!!)
Old 09-01-2020, 07:51 PM

If one wants a Strat, why not just buy a real one?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-01-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G String View Post
Hi, thanks for all your comments/feedback.

It was nicely made, although it should have been at that price.

It's going back. Very noisy, 50hz hum even on the in-between position. The neck was nice and it did play nicely. My Strat copy has EMGs, so I'm spoilt for quietness. I still like EMGs.

I found it frustrating to get nice sounds out of it consistently. To be fair. I only tried it through amp sims in logic, THU and Revalver. The G string warbled a lot with some settings. There are plenty of people making great music with sims though. I nearly bought a Laney IRT 15w studio amp. But wasn't convinced that would make a difference.

Just goes to show, you should trust your first instinct. ;o)
That’s a shame, they are decent. I prefer my strats from fender though.. I’ve been eyeing the new Schecter USA traditional strat, got a C1 SLS elite neck through from them recently and am blown away with what that company does for not much money, not sure I really want to put over two grand in another strat instrument though, but I’d be willing to bet that one would give fender custom shop a run easily if it’s anything like the SLS elite... I have a great vintage’ish 90s fender that’s difficult to put down...

Last edited by Rob7980; 09-01-2020 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-02-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
If one wants a Strat, why not just buy a real one?
. Obviously the point being people can want an S style without wanting a Fender brand guitar ,

The far more important question is,,,, why would you be "mad" that people might want a 3 single coil solid body with multiple switching options, S style guitar, that isn't a Fender per se. ?????

That notion is exactly like saying,,,,, If you want a pic up truck, why not just buy a real one ?

Which in relative context would be a Ford Pic Up, given that like Fender , Ford was the first to production manufacture a pic up.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-02-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
If you watch the Tim Pierce comparison video between the Silver Sky and a vintage $25,000 Strat....you will want one......(WARNING--DO NOT watch his comparison video of PRS's "Les Paul"...it is modeled after a 58' Les Paul that the lead guitar for Heart has played for years....the PRS is better....WARNING!!)
I checked that video out. Interesting.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-02-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
. Obviously the point being people can want an S style without wanting a Fender brand guitar ,

The far more important question is,,,, why would you be "mad" that people might want a 3 single coil solid body with multiple switching options, S style guitar, that isn't a Fender per se. ?????

That notion is exactly like saying,,,,, If you want a pic up truck, why not just buy a real one ?

Which in relative context would be a Ford Pic Up, given that like Fender , Ford was the first to production manufacture a pic up.
Very well said. Not everyone needs/wants the brand fender. Not everyone appreciates their attention to detail, or potential lack thereof, and they might be looking for better build quality. Maybe they prefer the sound of something else, or a colour offering. It could be any number of things.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Very well said. Not everyone needs/wants the brand fender. Not everyone appreciates their attention to detail, or potential lack thereof, and they might be looking for better build quality. Maybe they prefer the sound of something else, or a colour offering. It could be any number of things.
Not to mention the phrase "a real one" is ambiguous at best, I mean unless one is playing air guitar ??? no doubt Joe Cocker played a vintage 60's Fender Strat

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-04-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I just saw that the nut width is a tad narrow , for those who have the cutlass, does it bother you?
I have never played a Cutlass but I have 2 Axis Sports and the Axis has the smallest and narrowest neck in the Music Man lineup. And the neck now, is slightly wider than what EVH wanted and played with the original Music Man EVH, which is now called the Axis. It's amazing that he wanted a neck this small and narrow but that's what he wanted. The next one up is the Steve Morse model and I believe that's a tad wider than the Axis. From there, I believe they all are about that size or slightly larger. One thing you'll hear, and I had to learn it, is the high E can "fall off" the fretboard. I simply changed my playing style a tad, for the better, and it's never an issue anymore.

That being said, I bought my first Axis SS sight unseen. I have never played one but I knew I wanted one. The neck felt strange for about 3 min. I had never played a neck quite like this. Now, I can play no other necks. Or, I don't want to play any other necks. Between the size, the tru-oil gunstock wax finish and the frets....finest neck on the planet. Music Man is putting out guitars that are as great as anything being made by a factory or a single luthier. They may not be the best, but I don't believe there's anything better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars