The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-16-2020, 10:09 AM

Thanks guys, this has all been really helpful.
I just tried using a slightly thicker pick for strumming (0.7) and it felt better, it didn't move around as much.
I have a range of thicknesses, I will try a few more.
I had no idea you could get picks with dots, holes etc. in them, really good to know. As I said, I am a total beginner.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-16-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet View Post
I just tried using a slightly thicker pick for strumming (0.7) and it felt better, it didn't move around as much.
I had no idea you could get picks with dots, holes etc. in them, really good to know. As I said, I am a total beginner.

Cheers,

Peter
Hey Peter, best thing is picks are so inexpensive. You should be able to get some sample packs or pick and choose some individual picks if your local shop provides that.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Cheers,

Peter

I used to play with thin picks for strumming, but the pick noise started to annoy me when I was trying to strum harder. I eventually gave up the thin pick and started using the same 1.5mm pick I use for my electrics. The tone difference was way more pleasing, but I was now having issues with volume. I was playing too loud. The end result was that now I can play way more dynamic with a thick pick. Never went back to a thin pick. Can’t stand the pick noise.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I learnt that Pat Metheny plays with really light picks and uses the round corner of his pick also, so it's good to know that I'm not alone.
I've heard Pat tell how Fender lights were the only picks available nearby in Lees Summit, a K.C. suburb. He learned on them and stuck to them permanently, even though he was open to so many other instruments, technologies and techniques. At a concert, I was delighted to buy a pack of his signature picks, embellished with Pat's abstract alphabet doodles. Only to find that I hated them, even turned around backwards. Part of that was their slipperiness.

For slick picks, the best solution I've found is V-Picks, made of a smooth acrylic that magically adheres to your skin. I can't explain it- it just works. To my other picks, I've added self-adhesive nylon dots that add texture.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-18-2020 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Cheers,

Peter
When I first started I used to constantly drop or many times flipped the pic into the sound hole but that has not happened now in long time .I suspect as some have noted it may be a matter of relaxing and simply not gripping it so tightly.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-18-2020, 01:34 AM

Another idea, counter intuitive, is to use powdered bow rosin or the above noted snot to help you get the feel for holding the pick lightly. At least using the powdered bow rosin really helped me to lighten up the grip. I haven't used the rosin for years.

Another thing, I was a thick/heavy pick player for decades and never thought I'd ever use thin picks. And now using thin picks/holding them very lightly and getting the best HUGE tone ever...granted the amp is turned up. But turning the amp up and light pick attack with a thin pick...release the tone monster...bhawhahaha.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Cheers,

Peter
If you're a total beginner, I'd strongly suggest you avoid all the gimmick solutions and just make holding the pick an integral part of your practice routine. It's as important as calluses on your fretting fingers. Practicing with an even thicker pick, say 1.0 mm, is IME worth diving into now rather than later because eventually you're likely to want better pick control (not to say plenty of great players don't use thinner ones, because they certainly do.)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:56 AM

I generally don’t drop a pick, but when I do, it takes 20 minutes to get it back through the Soundhole.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I generally don’t drop a pick, but when I do, it takes 20 minutes to get it back through the Soundhole.
LOL! Same here. Electric is so much less frustrating, although you only find the dropped pick months later.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:30 AM

Put the pick in you mouth. A thin coat of saliva will help it stick to you fingers.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G String View Post
Put the pick in you mouth. A thin coat of saliva will help it stick to you fingers.
+1, I do the same thing sometimes except I'll lick my finger/thumb rather than the pick.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:25 PM

Just echoing two previous suggestions:

Loosen up your grip on the pick and let your wrist move with your strumming.

Choke up on the pick so you aren't gripping it by the edge.

I use medium picks for acoustic strumming and heavy picks for electric single note playing...
Old 08-21-2020, 05:12 PM

Could always try jazz picks. (Smaller which means more control and less chance of dropping the pick).
Old 08-22-2020, 05:05 AM

I found "Picker's Grip" to be as effective and far less messy than Gorilla Snot when I tried it out but haven't used it as I usually don't drop my picks.

Pro tip if you drop the pick into the soundhole. Hold the guitar flat/horizontally so you can see down into the soundhole. Shake the guitar lightly until the pick is centered below the strings. On most guitars this will be about the center of the label. Once centered, quickly spin the guitar over and viola the pick comes right out about 90 to 95 percent of the time. If it doesn't then you either didn't center it or you spun the guitar too slowly or not smoothly. Once taught this trick it hasn't ever taken me more than three tries to get it out..literally a minute max and usually on the first attempt. Shown here as method 1 (most people use the more frustrating method 2): https://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Pick-out-of-a-Guitar
If you prefer a full video demonstration try this one starting at about the 1 minute mark: https://youtu.be/GEOGWMQYejI

Last edited by 619TF; 08-22-2020 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Added video link
Old 08-23-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My wife swears by this:

X2 on Gorilla Snot....
Anytime I was having a hard time holding my pick, I reached for this stuff
It absolutely works....!!!

I've since switched to a thumbpick so no longer have dropped pick issues

Best of luck on your guitar journey!!!

2017 Taylor 414 SE rosewood

2020 Taylor 412e -R

2021 Breedlove Performer Concert CE ..
all solid woods mahogany with torrified spruce top

Roland Cube EX acoustic amp...battery powered

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
beginner, dropping pick