The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-15-2020, 09:14 AM

I ordered the X7 with amber color, no woody. Tempted though! But once I accepted the up-charge for custom nut size, I decided that was plenty enough to make it personal. That said, once ordered I had a lingering (though mercifully now past) interest in going for the wood. Since it has not been delivered (nor even made) yet I can't comment on future regrets.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

My X20 is red CF.

My X20-7 was going to be amber, but a random thought popped into my head soon after I’d ordered it. Emerald confirmed that what I was thinking was not only do-able, but also would not incur an upcharge - so my X20-7 was made with an amber top and headstock facing, with black CF for the back and sides. I added gold tuners too, and ended up with a lovely looking instrument, very much personalized for me, at a very modest extra cost over stock.

They make a very handsome pair
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-15-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
My X20 is red CF.

My X20-7 was going to be amber, but a random thought popped into my head soon after I’d ordered it. Emerald confirmed that what I was thinking was not only do-able, but also would not incur an upcharge - so my X20-7 was made with an amber top and headstock facing, with black CF for the back and sides. I added gold tuners too, and ended up with a lovely looking instrument, very much personalized for me, at a very modest extra cost over stock.

They make a very handsome pair

That’s actually a cool idea- I like it!!
Old 08-15-2020, 08:36 PM

Thank you all for the great input, and the details of what you ordered. I simply need to consider the options and make a decision.....
Old 08-16-2020, 06:57 AM

You can also get a less subdued weave finish as a custom order. Emerald can use silver weave carbon fiber instead of black carbon fiber. This makes the transparent finish on top much more vibrant.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-16-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
You can also get a less subdued weave finish as a custom order. Emerald can use silver weave carbon fiber instead of black carbon fiber. This makes the transparent finish on top much more vibrant.
I wish there were more examples of this as one of thing I don't like about the Emeralds is how subdued the colors are in person vs what they look like in their professional glamour shots.

That said, the Emeralds are great looking guitars with their sleek lines and proprietary offset sound hole, bevels, bridge and headstock designs so going straight CF weave will still get you a great-looking, head-turning guitar and you'll save a bundle. And now with the silver weave, satin finish and the ability to mix and match colors there is that much more customization that doesn't include the upcharge of a veneer.

THAT said, nothing looks as good as a veneer. And while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there is something for everyone. I've owned four Emerald customs and all of them had veneers. I've never had so many people come up to me and marvel at them, both guitar players and non-players alike. I'm currently without an Emerald have gone a different route a year ago but I'm sure going to have another X20 in the future especially with the new updates and I will surely go the veneer route again!
Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I wish there were more examples of this as one of thing I don't like about the Emeralds is how subdued the colors are in person vs what they look like in their professional glamour shots.
You just need to play bigger venues with strong stage lights.

Emerald does wonderful things with veneers, for sure. You can also get some exotic veneers in the low end laminated market, say Dean Guitars for example. But while they look good, they are not in the same league for build quality or tone. Emerald has that specialty clinched. Rainsong just started using veneers, but they are plain spruce to make their guitars look more traditional, for that trad market.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Get them in some good light, and they glow like a Christmas tree. I rather like that chameleon-like nature. Looking at the weekly shipping videos gives a much more realistic picture of what the guitars look like in the flesh.

Quote:
THAT said, nothing looks as good as a veneer. And while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there is something for everyone.
I'll stick with CF in all its native glory, while acknowledging that Emerald's veneer work is unique, beautifully crafted, and often visually stunning.

Matter of opinion, of course - I can recall several veneer examples that have made me exclaim "what WERE you thinking?"
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-16-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
You just need to play bigger venues with strong stage lights.

Or a small venue where the sound/lights guy has a new toy in some LED PAR lamps.

When the lights are bright enough you can't see the audience, I guarantee the color pops.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-16-2020, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I have had two blue x7s one steel carbon one woody nylon. I picked both of them up used.

While I would struggle to pay the upcharge on a new instrument I do really like the look on the x7.

Not that it matters but the carbon tended not to get comments when it was out and about and I have received lots of comments on the woody.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:19 PM

I really like the look of the Royal Ebony veneers. A lot.

At the same time, the upcharge for the veneer is a third of the way to another guitar, which makes it really hard to justify shelling out the extra for what is essentially cosmetics.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think these silver weave finishes would sell well by their appearance in the stock photos. Those glamour shots make them look way too bright. My X30 has a pale green pastel tint in that photo while in reality the finish is a beautiful dark Emerald green.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-18-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I don't think these silver weave finishes would sell well by their appearance in the stock photos. Those glamour shots make them look way too bright. My X30 has a pale green pastel tint in that photo while in reality the finish is a beautiful dark Emerald green.
You need to post those photos side by side so we can see them! (I just went and looked at your NGD post for your X30 - perfect example of what I mean!)

I agree that the Emerald glamour photos might look too bright but reality is the opposite. When I ordered my first custom woody - an X20 with cocobolo top and amber back and sides - I was so excited especially after seeing the glamour photos of the finish product. My heart literally sank when I opened the case. In normal indoor ambient light it was SO dark. The beautiful top wood grain and amber back and sides only pops in direct sunlight, stage lights or flash photography.

I came to realize quickly that any future woody top would need to be a really bright wood grain and also likely have a silver CF weave so the color would pop. The only wood veneer I've seen that I like in person so far is the Royal Ebony. I'm disappointed in everything else. Who knows? If I saw some nice quality photos but in normal light of the colored guitars over silver CF, I might just grab one of those and save myself $600!

Last edited by Methos1979; 08-18-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:46 PM

The silver thread to create more vibrant colors is interesting. But, like has been noted earlier, in the pro lighting the red looks very bright. Anybody have one in any of the available vibrant colors that can post a photo taken in regular light? Be interested in judging the difference
Old 08-23-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieMar View Post
The silver thread to create more vibrant colors is interesting. But, like has been noted earlier, in the pro lighting the red looks very bright. Anybody have one in any of the available vibrant colors that can post a photo taken in regular light? Be interested in judging the difference
On my back porch. Black X7 (old model) and Red X-20

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber