The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Default Martin Guitar Deals for Canadians

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any of my fellow Canadians have any advice/recommendations when it comes to getting a good deal on a Martin? Used martins are basically going for new prices, while new guitars are not rarely discounted by L&M

I've gone through old threads, and it looks like My Favorite Guitar based out of Florida was a good place to get 30-40% off a new Martin, and there would still be major savings despite shipping/taxes/duties; but that shop closed down this year.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Maury’s Music or LA Guitar Sales both discount similarly to MyFavoriteGuitars.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 09-17-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Maury’s Music or LA Guitar Sales both discount similarly to MyFavoriteGuitars.
Someone may correct but I believe no US Martin dealers are allowed to ship out of country anymore.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Someone may correct but I believe no US Martin dealers are allowed to ship out of country anymore.
I believe that is the case. You want a Martin you pay high prices up here. Not much different compared to any other guitar purchase here in Canada. Not many great deals to be had on higher end guitars up here in my experience.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-17-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Martin evidently cracked down big time on US AD's shipping out of the country. They can't do it anymore...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Default recent trend

All of the high end guitars up here are way up in price , partly because of the dollar, partly the covid thing, but mostly the demand.
Kijiji can be a good place to get one, but that can be tricky, and is best kept local so you can carefully check it out, particularly if might be stolen.
Put your name in at the local Long and McQuade, tell them your model choice(s) and price point, and they can likely find you a used trade-in or recent rental return. They will even ship one for you x-country from another store, for about 40$ added to the price. You also get their 30 day return policy!
Depending on your location, other local shop owners can be good to note in with as well (emails can work via websites).
You may have to wait a while though...keep us posted!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:53 PM

Unless you are dead set on a Martin, look at others, especially those built in Canada. We have great luthiers up here such as Boucher and Halcyon, both of which I own so a bit biased. There are others.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:55 PM

I agree, dont even waste your money on a Martin... For what they are charging they arent worth it... Look at a Furch, Boucher, Larrivee if you want value for what you pay... Martin has to be the most overcharged guitar that comes from a factory. Even Gibsons are a better value.
Unless you have money to throw away, go buy a Martin from Long and McQuades who rips people off left and right with their pricing.
I;d rather deal with The Twelfth Fret in Toronto.
Just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
I agree, dont even waste your money on a Martin... For what they are charging they arent worth it... Look at a Furch, Boucher, Larrivee if you want value for what you pay... Martin has to be the most overcharged guitar that comes from a factory. Even Gibsons are a better value.
Unless you have money to throw away, go buy a Martin from Long and McQuades who rips people off left and right with their pricing.
I;d rather deal with The Twelfth Fret in Toronto.
Just my opinion.
This is coming from a D41 fan guys...says something ;-0

Not popular to say such things on this forum, but in my mind so so true. Absurd money for what you are getting...

I second the Boucher suggestion. Worth every dollar.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-18-2020, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

I feel your pain. I paid dearly for a Master Grade Boucher Studio Goose (SG-42-MG) south of the border so I guess it goes both ways? Robin Boucher is building some stellar guitars that will go toe to toe with Martin and in some cases surpass them. Don't overlook those guitars!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-18-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkingsle View Post
Used martins are basically going for new prices
Not sure what you’re basing this on. In my local classifieds (Kijiji in Montreal), I see used Martins for much less than new prices. Plus, used stuff is always negotiable. I think the used market is the only choice for buying a Martin in Canada, as per all the comments above. The 15 series or any models below that, though, are someone reasonably priced new.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:40 AM

I agree that Martin prices in Canada are ridiculous, including the used ones. All the dealers in Canada conspire and won't let anyone price or sell below the minimum advertised price. Canada is famous for its price fixing.

All that being said, if you do buy a guitar from L&M, you get the free setup and a decent return policy. If there are any issues, they aren't bad to work with. So, you get the luxury of being able to try the guitar out and take it back if it doesn't suit you.

I have purchased three guitars in the last 6 months from L&M and all the transactions have been good. I returned one guitar for a replacement and had no issues. My Gibson L-00 I got for a good price because it was new-old-stock. It was still, as far as I can see, untouched from the case pretty much.

Even down in the US, you pay more for the luxury of getting to try out a guitar at a local shop. There are places that will do the good prices, but most people have to order and get them shipped from those dealers. You can't try out the guitar side by side to other guitars and decide if that is a particularly good guitar, or if it has the sound you want.

I ended up buying two Gibsons over Martins because I thought they were a better value for such great sounding guitars. I had my heart set on a D35 for a while, then I played it next to the J45 and went with the J45. Mind you, it might have been that D35 wasn't great or it might have been how good this J45 is. Who is to know? I liked the sound of my J45 so much, I played an L-00 and loved it's sound too. My Yamaha FS5, I bought online from L&M. It has been a good purchase. It is a good replacement for a 000-18. It doesn't sound exactly like a 000-18, but its got the same vibe to it. It's not a worse sound, just different. My Martin is my least favourite guitar and it's a guitar that so many people rave about.

In the end, you just have to decide what you are willing to spend and find a guitar that suits your budget. Chasing the best price on a guitar can result in getting an unwanted result, especially with the border issues right now and long shipping times. Even if you could order from the US, right now is something of a pain if there is an issue with that guitar.

If you can wait, when the border opens up you could always take a short trip down to the US to find your guitar, depending on where you live.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 09-18-2020, 07:25 AM

Welcome to the AGF, pkingsle. Unfortunately, the Canadian dollar is low so we're paying a ~36% premium on US built guitars. And then the 15% tax, but it is what it is.

The Twelfth Fret (https://www.12fret.com/) in Toronto is an amazing store and they have lots of used guitars, including Martins. If you don't mind buying used from a reputable Canadian dealer and being patient it may work out.

I'm not aware of any Canadian dealer where you'll get a new Martin at the same discounts as some US dealers.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:52 AM

Thank you for the thoughts and advice everyone
Old 09-18-2020, 01:55 PM

I'm in Vancouver. The deals are out there you just have to have patience. Recently for used there was a OM28 that popped up for $2500 that I missed but a month later I got one for $2400. Got my 0018 for $2000 a few years ago. For Canada that's about $500 to $1000 under going used rate. For new check out some of the smaller shops. Never got a deal from L&M but Kings Music quoted me $600 under list for a OM28 Ambertone before I found it used. For L&M check out the gear hunter link under deals. That's where they list all the used stock. Other then that you just got to check craigslist and kijiji multiply times a day cause when the deals come they dont last. And dont forget Facebook Market Place. And there will always be people that are trying to get new prices on used. Just ignore the ads and the price drops over time.

Gearhunter Link
https://www.long-mcquade.com/GearHunter/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion