The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 10:07 PM

Default Meant-to-be Go-Guitar sale

I've had a Go-guitar built by Sam Radding for several years now. I purchased it from the classifieds here on AGF and it has travelled with me to Mexico, Disney World, Las Vegas, and I've taken it on several backpacking trips. I haven't really used it much in the past year though and thought I'd go ahead let it find a new owner.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with these little travel guitars, they were made in San Diego out of solid woods by a luthier whose roots can be traced back to the beginnings of Taylor guitars. They are oddly shaped but provide really nice resonance for a travel guitar. There aren't that many around. I listed mine on Reverb and, at the time, there were only one or two other listings for go-guitars on the entire site.

I had it listed since February and had one low-ball offer in the Spring which I refused. Two weeks ago, I received another offer but the deal didn't come together when the buyer changed his mind and requested that I deny his offer. No big deal.

As many know, wildfires have devastated many areas of the west coast of the US and both of the little towns just South of mine, Phoenix and Talent Oregon, lost upwards of 2000 homes last Tuesday.

Well, I received a message yesterday through the Reverb site from a gentleman who was interested in my guitar. As it turns out, he was local and explained that his adult Son and family had to evacuate their home in a hurry and his Son could not retrieve his Go-Guitar from his home before it burned. He explained that this was his Son's favorite guitar and it had accompanied him on many adventures over the last decade or so. He wanted to purchase mine to give to his son. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the circumstances. Here I was, having no luck selling this fun but odd little guitar. I had just missed out on a deal to sell it and now I had the chance to sell it locally to someone who was trying to help his Son put his life back together after losing everything. As I was responding to his message indicating a willingness to accept a lower offer, given the circumstances, he paid the full asking price through Reverb. I offered to refund some of the money, but he was so happy to find exactly what he was looking for, that he refused to pay less for it. I did throw in a case of IPA.

I'm still in wonder at how this almost seemed destined to happen. Serendipity I guess, but in a relatively small way, I hope that little Go-guitar helps a family heal and recover from tragedy.

I thought some of you might like to hear that story.

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-17-2020 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Sorry, fundraisers not permitted
Old 09-17-2020, 10:10 PM

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Looks like you’re both members of the AGF now - awesome story. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=592727
Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Looks like you’re both members of the AGF now - awesome story. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=592727
Yep, it’s great that the AGF helped bring JimmyFinger and MiguelATF together for something truly special...amidst something so devastating. Karma.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 PM

I haven't visited this site in quite sometime but felt a desire to post. Thanks for the link to that thread. Yep. That's Miguel. It was a pleasure to meet him and engage in the most satisfying instrument sale ever!
Old 09-17-2020, 10:50 PM

Many of us here on the Acoustic Guitar Forum have been following this story from Miguel’s perspective, and it’s truly enjoyable to read it from your perspective, as well. Congratulations for having some serendipity and synchronicity insert themselves into your lives when coming together like this was the best outcome for both of you.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-17-2020, 11:20 PM

Thanks for sharing this story.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

And, JF, if you haven't already, be sure to check out the video of Rafe and his daughter linked in the thread referenced above. Brought a smile to this smoke-weary Oregonian!
Old 09-18-2020, 06:44 AM

Great story and, for those who read many of the threads, we got both sides of it! Glad to hear that it ended so well.

Congratulations to you both!

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 09-18-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
And, JF, if you haven't already, be sure to check out the video of Rafe and his daughter linked in the thread referenced above. Brought a smile to this smoke-weary Oregonian!
Thanks Dogma. He showed that video to me when he picked the guitar up yesterday. It made me smile as well.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Good on you, JF. Some things are meant to be...
Old 09-18-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Great ending to a sad set of circumstances. Glad that you were in a position to help out.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-18-2020, 11:22 AM

I'm in Oregon too and after being surrounded by bad news and bad air, this happy ending is as welcomed as the much needed rain that's finally falling.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFinger View Post
I've had a Go-guitar built by Sam Radding for several years now. I purchased it from the classifieds here on AGF and it has travelled with me to Mexico, Disney World, Las Vegas, and I've taken it on several backpacking trips. I haven't really used it much in the past year though and thought I'd go ahead let it find a new owner.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with these little travel guitars, they were made in San Diego out of solid woods by a luthier whose roots can be traced back to the beginnings of Taylor guitars. They are oddly shaped but provide really nice resonance for a travel guitar. There aren't that many around. I listed mine on Reverb and, at the time, there were only one or two other listings for go-guitars on the entire site.

I had it listed since February and had one low-ball offer in the Spring which I refused. Two weeks ago, I received another offer but the deal didn't come together when the buyer changed his mind and requested that I deny his offer. No big deal.

As many know, wildfires have devastated many areas of the west coast of the US and both of the little towns just South of mine, Phoenix and Talent Oregon, lost upwards of 2000 homes last Tuesday.

Well, I received a message yesterday through the Reverb site from a gentleman who was interested in my guitar. As it turns out, he was local and explained that his adult Son and family had to evacuate their home in a hurry and his Son could not retrieve his Go-Guitar from his home before it burned. He explained that this was his Son's favorite guitar and it had accompanied him on many adventures over the last decade or so. He wanted to purchase mine to give to his son. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the circumstances. Here I was, having no luck selling this fun but odd little guitar. I had just missed out on a deal to sell it and now I had the chance to sell it locally to someone who was trying to help his Son put his life back together after losing everything. As I was responding to his message indicating a willingness to accept a lower offer, given the circumstances, he paid the full asking price through Reverb. I offered to refund some of the money, but he was so happy to find exactly what he was looking for, that he refused to pay less for it. I did throw in a case of IPA.

I'm still in wonder at how this almost seemed destined to happen. Serendipity I guess, but in a relatively small way, I hope that little Go-guitar helps a family heal and recover from tragedy.

I thought some of you might like to hear that story.

Thanks for taking the time to read it.
Very nice story and it put a huge smile on my old cynical face.

Restores some of my faith in humanity. There are still good folks in the world. Best wishes to all of you.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:34 AM

I just love a happy ending.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion