The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-14-2020, 04:46 PM

Default NGD: Journey Road Trip Matte Blue (RT660B1M)

I have joined your ranks and picked up my carbon fiber acoustic! I wanted to start playing again since I'm stuck inside due the pandemic. Eventually, I'll be traveling again, alternating between desert and tropical climates, so carbon seemed like a prudent way to go.

Originally, I was looking at cheaper options like the Enya X4 and Lava Me 2, but spent a little more on the Journey. So far, I'm happy with the quality and finish. The matte blue is really subtle and doesn't pick up fingerprints like glossy finishes.

I'm still getting used to the sound; it's different from the wood acoustics I've played, but I appreciate that carbon has its own tone. The action is higher than I'd like, but I'll wait a bit to adjust and get new strings. Any advice is welcomed. For now, here are some photos.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

RPad;

I know that Journey was very patient in bringing out its first carbon fiber guitar. From what I've read on this forum it seems clear that the guitar is a worthy instrument. Lowering the action should not be a big job. I wonder if Journey offers alternate saddles?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:52 PM

Congrats on “joining the ranks” and on your new acquisition. Journey makes profoundly good instruments at this price point!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

There should be two saddles with your guitar. I am guessing that the higher saddle is installed while the lower saddle is somewhere in the case. Easy to swap out while the neck is off the guitar.

I have a Journey in gloss black which is a nice guitar, and really worry free for road trips. Mine sounds really good with light gage DR Sunbeam strings. I put a Shubb capo on the 1st fret before taking the neck off. Makes re-assembly easier.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
There should be two saddles with your guitar. I am guessing that the higher saddle is installed while the lower saddle is somewhere in the case. Easy to swap out while the neck is off the guitar.

I have a Journey in gloss black which is a nice guitar, and really worry free for road trips. Mine sounds really good with light gage DR Sunbeam strings. I put a Shubb capo on the 1st fret before taking the neck off. Makes re-assembly easier.
I have locking tuners on mine; keeps the strings in line a bit better at the post when breaking the guitar down, and makes string changes an absolute breeze. I like the idea of the capo though- that is good thinking! I'm also a fan of the DR Sunbeams but I prefer the mediums for my needs. Still easy play and handle alternate tunings and capo work up the neck better.

Another idea you might consider is finding a gig bag for it and you won't have to take down the neck when traveling around. I have only been taking mine down during flights.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post

Thanks for the tips! I’ll check the gig bag for the other saddle. DR Sunbeam will go on my list of strings to try along with Ernie Ball aluminum bronze.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber