The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-01-2020, 09:50 AM

Default Overpowering G String Issue

I've got an Ibanez 335 knock-off (https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/ASV10A) that I like a lot. Mine has the original factory string set with gauges of 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52. When the pickups are where everything is "good," the G string (unwound) is too dominant, even with the G pole piece screwed down below the cover. This apparently is a real thing, if you google "why is my guitar's G string so loud?" Why the G? No idea. I have a strat copy with vintage-stagger pickups, so I understand the wound/unwound historical context. Jimi (below) likely had staggered magnets, but my HB-equipped Ibanez does not.

Per some, I could lower the pickups and raise the non-G pole pieces, but would prefer a more elegant fix, even if the pole piece height makes a difference (yes, I've read both sides on that one).

I could try a wound G string with these cheapy "Classic Elite" warmish" pickups (9.5k neck, 10k bridge). The guitar apparently wasn't designed with a wound G in mind, however.

Or, I could follow Jimi's lead (https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/...ew-roger-mayer) and jigger the strings to something like his preferred set that brings the G string's value closer to the B string's:
"First of all, we weren't using a flat-radius fretboard," Mayer says. "We were using the normal one, not the very high radius but definitely curvy. The actual strings we used were not what people would expect. The string gauges would run .010, .013, .015, .026, .032 and .038.

The big difference there is that you're using the .015 for the third, because if you use the .017 for the third, the actual sound of the guitar is very G-heavy. The electrical output of the strings is dependent on the square of the diameter; if you square all the diameters and look at them, you can get much more of an idea about the balance of the guitar.

You should always remember that, because many, many times people use a set of strings that are completely imbalanced and they just don't sound that good. Most people would say a .010 to .013 is the correct jump. And the .015 is much better for the G than a .017. An .015 squares out at .225 and .017 is 289. So you're going to get 28 percent more output just with a two-pound different in string size.
I have several electrics. I usually use Ernie Ball or D'Addario's in 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46 on them and don't notice a G-heavy issue on the other guitars, even with the 13-to-17 jump from the 2d string to the 3d. I also note that my guitar's bass string is a 52, while Jimi's was a 38, just a smidge higher than my guitar's 5th string. Going to a 15 on the 3d would increase the jump to the 4th string's 26, potentially being weird unless I also changed the rest to keep the range, but bringing the 4th/5th/6th down into Jimi's range to make the 15 3d work would reduce the bass E string factory spec'd 52 down to the 38, which might impact the way the guitar sounds, likely for the worse.

Question - what causes a G-heavy response in some guitars, but not others?

Question - what would you do to reduce the G-heavy response? Play with the pickup pole pieces? Go to a wound G? Go with a special string set? Other? I suppose "live with it" is also an option.

Question - is there a place that assembles and sells odd string sets? If so, please ID.

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:08 PM

I found some good info on TGP - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-user.1776598/

That all makes sense to me. I'll try a set of the EJ20s with the 22w 3d, and see if I can't take it down to 18w w/o breakage.

It's interesting to me that this Ibanez reacts differently than, say, the Epi 339 P90 (another double-cut semi-hollow, but smaller) with D'Addario 10-46 with a 17p 3d. The same G string on the Epi doesn't stand out, so it's probably got something to do with the pickup differences - the Ibanez pickups are hotter than the P90s, and are among the hottest in my little guitar group, so that probably emphasizes the issue, relative to the other guitars.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:03 PM

I've encountered loud open G strings on electrics and acoustics. I adjust my playing technique when it pops up. Seems to be less of a problem with lighter strings for any given guitar.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-01-2020, 05:43 PM

A compressor pedal will smooth out the sound.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:04 PM

I've always used a wound G - regardless of set gauge - and never had a balance problem...
Old 09-02-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've always used a wound G - regardless of set gauge - and never had a balance problem...
I intend to try a wound G down the road. To avoid enlarging the nut slot now, though, I'll first try a 16, see how it is, and, if still too prominent, the 15. Couple of sets with the "custom" singles are on the way.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I intend to try a wound G down the road. To avoid enlarging the nut slot now, though, I'll first try a 16, see how it is, and, if still too prominent, the 15...
If you're using D'Addario 10's, why not just swap the plain .017 G for a D'Addario .017 wound G (juststrings.com caries them) - no slot enlarging needed...
Old 09-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're using D'Addario 10's, why not just swap the plain .017 G for a D'Addario .017 wound G (juststrings.com caries them) - no slot enlarging needed...
Probably because I don't know enough about string construction/composition! I assumed a 17 with external winding would necessarily be thicker (due to the added winding I assumed added dimension) than a plain, and so would require a wider slot to fit. You're saying it ain't so. Unfortunately, trying the wound will have to await the next order, as the first is on its way.

And, of course, I play that same guitar today and the original 17 G doesn't seem all that prominent. I do notice it seems to be more prominent when fretted, which seems to be opposite of what others have experienced. I reset all of the pole pieces to original position, and re-balanced the pickups - sounds good. The warmish (not quite hot, at 9k and 10k) ceramic pickups are a little harsh with the tone up, so that accentuates anything else that's going on. Still love my Ibanez.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:23 PM

The string gage doesn’t differ significantly on most any guitar, the issue is most likely a resonant frequency between the pickup and tone cap... if it goes away when you roll off the tone knob, then you might investigate changing the value of the tone capacitor... it could be simply where the body of the guitar wants to respond, not sure what can be done if that’s the case... I usually have issues with the high e string...
Old 09-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob7980 View Post
The string gage doesn’t differ significantly on most any guitar, the issue is most likely a resonant frequency between the pickup and tone cap... if it goes away when you roll off the tone knob, then you might investigate changing the value of the tone capacitor... it could be simply where the body of the guitar wants to respond, not sure what can be done if that’s the case... I usually have issues with the high e string...
Thanks for the input. Two things to note - (1) I tried to hear a difference in string output (on the G) while working through the Tone knob, and didn't detect any difference - just a tone change to all, and (2) it seems to me now that I may have exaggerated the G string issue, as it now sounds close in output to the rest.

I did move the sunken G pole piece back to flat (they're all flat/stock position, now), but that should have had the opposite effect. The G still sounds more pronounced, but now I can't tell if that's because it IS more pronounced, or just different from the B and e strings. I played them in order (G B e), then mixed it up a bit. The only way the G sounded more pronounced was when I played "in order" (G B e), but even then, not much.

I supposedly have strings on the way so I can try a .016 and/or an .015 in the 3rd slot, and I'll report back when I get that checked out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars